Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Thanks! Think I'm going to have to find some of that floral/craft wire. Should be easy now that we're near civilization.
    Are you guys just using the wires as they are or are you rigging up a bit of something for a handle?

Hadn't thought of using knitting needles as awls, that's great!

Those that are using awls, are they just any basic awl? I was trying to avoid the piercing ones as I figured they would split some of the stands instead of going between them.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    LowTech, I use a small knitting needle to start the hole, then a regular awl to widen it. Unfortunately, the awl is a piercing one - which it likes to remind me about seems everyother time I use it. My splicing tools are stored in a bag. Someday I’ll learn to take them out, one-by-one and leave them on the work surface before I begin - instead of blindly reaching in the and “finding” that piercing awl (the cap always slips off).
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 12-23-2020 at 17:56.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair(s)
    Tarp
    SLD & Mtn. Fly
    Insulation
    HG 0,20,40 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & webbing
    I use thin stainless steel wire I had laying around. It is the stuff that used to used for trolling in the Chesapeake bay before the high tech braids were available. If you know an old fisherman you might find the mother lode. That along with a plain old Bic pen cap to open up the strands as needed. This has worked fine for me for whoopies and everything thing else I’ve made. It works even on the thinnest braids I’ve used for tarp lines.
    The deep mystery gives rise to the spirits -Charc

Always strive to be the best but never believe you are - Juan Manuel Fangio

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Instead of ordering something online, or searching for my long lost loop turner, I found some floral wire at Walmart (either a 24 or 26 gauge..can’t remember). Folded in half, I find it works equally well for 1.75mm and 2.2mm zingit, as well as the 7/64 Amsteel. Add in a suitable sized nail and a tapered paintbrush handle for an “awl,” and I’ve been able to splice each of these ropes/cords with no problems. And other than the floral wire, I found everything else laying around the house.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch 12' Winter
    Insulation
    CRO, J'R'B
    Suspension
    Dutch web/ beetle
    I really like the D-splicer F10 for the smaller cords and the F20 for amsteel. They do have a larger price tag than a loop turner but make splicing a dream.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Looked for knitting needles the other day when we were out and the only ones I found seemed too big, guess I'll have to dig until I find my old leather working awl. May search again after this crazy shopping season is over.

I did pick up some 26 gauge wire, but so far I've only tried to use it on Reflect-it, and that was a failure.
    Is any one that uses wire making some sort of handle for it? That small gauge wire is hard on hands. Think I'll have to craft something up.

The D-splicer is the tool I was looking for! Want to get at least one of those but the US vending company doesn't list the F-10.

Images
    The knitting needles are not used as a all. I cut the back off of them and I have a piece of tubing that is tapered on the closed end. I push the bury inside the tube and push the tube through to make the splice. I use the smallest knitting needle the bury can fit inside.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I picked most my Amsteel splicing gear up at Joanne’s - but I did buy a set of “pullers” from Dutchware. It was sort of a luxury item because I had already done most of my learning/projects with “standard” gear (from Joanne’s). I did stop at a Guitar store and begged for some scarp wire. It is hard on the hands so I made a loop, then put shrink-wrap tubing on the ends and used waxed twine to also hold them together. The wire puller is a little fragile; I just have to be gentle with it. It’s only used for 1.75mm and 2.2mm stuff.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch 12' Winter
    Insulation
    CRO, J'R'B
    Suspension
    Dutch web/ beetle
    Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    The D-splicer is the tool I was looking for! Want to get at least one of those but the US vending company doesn't list the F-10.
    I picked mine up on Amazon.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    Are you guys just using the wires as they are or are you rigging up a bit of something for a handle?.....
    You can simply wrap the ends of the wire around a pen or pencil, etc -- or to get "fancy," drill a small hole through a dowel (or even a stick or small block of wood) and put the wire through it and twist it on so it stays.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast