WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet
    Insulation
    Wooki, DB
    Suspension
    UCR, Dynaweave

What's your preferred guyline?

I have a new Thunderfly on the way and I'm out of light cord and and need to order some more, so I just figured I'd see what y'all are using. I started out with Zing-It but this year found that I really like having reflective guylines after I decided to try some Reflect-It for my Minifly. I am flip flopping back and forth between Reflect-It and Reflective Dutch Cord atm, I like the Reflect-It but it does seem to want to tangle and I'm not really sold on the durability of it in the long run. I would love to hear what you use and why you like it .

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Lawson Equipment is my 'go to' cordage vendor. And, he's got a sale going on too.
    Last edited by ObdewlaX; 12-19-2020 at 19:59.

Hammock
    SLD 11'
    Tarp
    11' HG w/ doors
    Insulation
    DIY or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beckett
    Lawson unless you want real thin stuff. I use dutch reflective line for that. Real thin, pretty stiff but not as reflective as lawson.
    Ignore zpacks zline. Its fine, but lawson is better for thicker stuff, and dutch is better for thin.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Lawson Glowire and its non-reflective sibling, Guywire. I find 2mm to be totally adequate.

Really resists tangling, great for knots as well.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Senior Member Rusty Shackelford's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet
    Insulation
    Wooki, DB
    Suspension
    UCR, Dynaweave
    I have been curious about it but thought the 2mm size seemed bulky, I guess I'll order 50' since it's on sale and also has free shipping, even if I don't decide to use it for guyline I'll use it somewhere
    Last edited by Rusty Shackelford; 12-19-2020 at 22:57.

Hammock
    bit.ly/2m61xEz
    Tarp
    bit.ly/2mZLRIw
    Insulation
    bit.ly/2pZjkEn
    Suspension
    bit.ly/2LY6heV
    Skurka recommends Kelty Triptease 1.5mm, which is 1 oz / 50 ft. That's what he thinks is a good compromise for "weight versus user-friendliness." I carry 2x 12' and 2x 6' lines in my kit for my tarp panels, in case of a wind storm. Tarp guylines are Dutch hooks with his "Reflect-It" + shock cord loops.

By comparison, Lawson Glowire 2 mm is 0.039 oz / ft, or 1.95 oz / 50 ft, about 2x weight.
    Last edited by blackmagic; 12-19-2020 at 22:30.

Hammock
    11' SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10x12
    Insulation
    LocoLibre DWR Down
    Suspension
    Cin-Bkle Dyn-Str
    My wife uses Lawson 2.5mm Glow Wire and loves them. I use the 3mm Guywire from Lawson myself on my Winter Haven. The 3mm won't slip when wet and under very heavy bursts (70-80mph) in a lineloc3. I ordered a new Mountainfly and it's getting 1.75mm Lash-It for the guy lines. I love reflective guy lines but don't use them since I often stealth camp when aloft. If weight and/or bulk is a consideration or issue I will always use Zing-It or Lash-It.

The reflective guy lines that HG uses on their DCF tarps will hold even when your MSR Groundhog stakes are bending and your tarp is ripping (last trip). They also glow really well. I think that they are either from Lawson or very similar from their appearance and performance.
    Last edited by Grey Mouse; 12-20-2020 at 01:39.

What's your preferred guyline?

Using Sampson Lash-It but i am tempted to try a reflective line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by pnw-rider; 12-20-2020 at 19:52. Reason: Adding lash-it mfg

Hammock
    WB BBXLC
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB UQ and TQ 20*
    Suspension
    Dyneema Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Shackelford View Post
    I have a new Thunderfly on the way and I'm out of light cord and and need to order some more, so I just figured I'd see what y'all are using. I started out with Zing-It but this year found that I really like having reflective guylines after I decided to try some Reflect-It for my Minifly. I am flip flopping back and forth between Reflect-It and Reflective Dutch Cord atm, I like the Reflect-It but it does seem to want to tangle and I'm not really sold on the durability of it in the long run. I would love to hear what you use and why you like it .
    I have been using the 1.75 mm braided dyneema line in yellow that Warbonnet sells for several years and very happy with it. The benefits in the description on the prooduct page I find accurate: yellow help avoild tripping over when close but thin enough to not be noticeable at a distance. Its light and strong. Only challenge is I have a couple lines that the ends started to fray a litte and can be a challenge to get through the Dutchware tarpworms I use to tension my guylines but a quick snip with my pocket knife of a quarter inch and its fine for another couple of years.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TipsyPaddler View Post
    I have been using the 1.75 mm braided dyneema line in yellow that Warbonnet sells for several years and very happy with it. The benefits in the description on the prooduct page I find accurate: yellow help avoild tripping over when close but thin enough to not be noticeable at a distance. Its light and strong. Only challenge is I have a couple lines that the ends started to fray a litte and can be a challenge to get through the Dutchware tarpworms I use to tension my guylines but a quick snip with my pocket knife of a quarter inch and its fine for another couple of years.
    You can do a simple end bury to take care of that annoying fraying. Just need some fine wire such as #30 floral wire.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast