Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki0* TQHomemade
    Suspension
    Whoopie, Atlas

Hello from the Black Hills

Hello,
    Name is Jeremy, I am new to hammocking I fell, like many I am sure, into Shug's video library on youtube and have never lollygagged more time binge watching anything than I have these videos. I have always loved taking a nap in a hammock when on vacations when a hammock was available but never decided to try my own or look into it. Recently retired from regular 9-5 life to some extent but now travel all summer for Wildland Fire. I spent all season this year sleeping in my truck, on the ground under the stars or in a tent. I met a dude that had a hammock on one of the fires early season and decided I would look into it when I got home. Fast forward to thanksgiving when I got home. I decided to look into hammocks and started making purchases. I am going to make my maiden voyage into the woods tomorrow. I have setup a few things here at the house tried a few naps in the hammock and figure no better way to see what I like or don't is to go do it. I am going to make it a couple night trip do some day hikes and work from my truck as a basecamp. I have spent many nights out camping, hiking, mountaineering, ice climbing, hunting and fishing. I think this is just the next chapter in the story. I hope to one day meet some like minded people and do some hangs out and around. Like Shug says in a some of his videos I don't now have any friends interested in hiking, camping, or hammocking. So it looks like some more solo time for this kid. Thanks for the listen and the add to the forums. I will report back from Sector 6 when I return.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Welcome to HF for some stellar information on your new endeavors. At 69 I fully understand the paucity of adventurous fellows and the solo journeys. PS: Love you governor! Tried to get her to jump ship and come to Montana ;-)

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Arrowhead
    Good for You!!! Give it some time to work the bugs out, learn as you go but you are going to love it!!!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC; WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Welcome to HF. I was born in them there hills and have relatives scattered throughout SD. You're a lucky one in my book to be able to hang in such surroundings.
    The game is the best teacher.

Hammock
    Dutch Halfwit
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG uq + Down Bag
    Suspension
    DIYwhoops+MuleTape
    Images
    I've been on several road trips leading me through your neck of the woods and I've always been overwhelmed by the beauty there.
    Enjoy your hangs from wonderful vistas! ...I'm in the Smoky Mountains and feel your inclines hiking to them!
    "It's not the man who's catching lots of fish and shooting lots of game who's having fun, it's the chap who's getting ready to do it."
    ~Horace Kephart

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB Universal Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Web-cinch buckles
    Welcome. Keep your eye out for Group hangs within your version of driving distance. There are good people here. I also have no one close that hangs or even camps, but have met great people at the events I have attended.

Hammock
    XLC, Superior Gear 0deg
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki0* TQHomemade
    Suspension
    Whoopie, Atlas
    Well just got back from the maiden voyage. I have to say it is going to take much practice. Reminds me of being on a sailboat with all the lines, and setup. Had a great experience and look forward to more practice and time in the hang. I see there is a hang in Wisconsin in January. The frozen butt I believe. Have any of you done that? I look forward to sharing and learning more here in the forums.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC; WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I've been to the last three WI Frozen Butts and had a great time. The current site is far enough away from the parking lot that it doesn't qualify as car camping, but it's not so far away that you worry about getting back. (40-50 minute walk). There's a couple guys coming from Denver for their 2nd year. Lots of good info gets shared around the campfire. The best way to really learn about winter camping is to get out and do it - with a good group of folks.
    The game is the best teacher.

Hammock
    XLC, Superior Gear 0deg
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki0* TQHomemade
    Suspension
    Whoopie, Atlas
    Quote Originally Posted by Watertooner View Post
    I've been to the last three WI Frozen Butts and had a great time. The current site is far enough away from the parking lot that it doesn't qualify as car camping, but it's not so far away that you worry about getting back. (40-50 minute walk). There's a couple guys coming from Denver for their 2nd year. Lots of good info gets shared around the campfire. The best way to really learn about winter camping is to get out and do it - with a good group of folks.
    I may have to look into this more seriously then.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Whoooooo Buddy from Sector Seven to Sector Six.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts