Tarp
    hg winter palace
    Insulation
    hg
    Suspension
    spider/poly straps
    Quote Originally Posted by MikJW View Post
    What the H#$$ is a nalgene bottle and what is it used for? :unsure
    the nalgene bottle lets me stay in the hammock, stay somewhat asleep, to me, if i have to get up for a bathroom break, i go to my chair to sleep the rest of the night...i actually have 2 nalgene bottles...they have a nice wide mouth, the gatoraide, & juice bottles had too small of an opening...g

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJHC View Post
    A Nalgene bottle is (not surprisingly) a bottle made of Nalgene.

They have three main uses:
    1. Carrying drinking water
    2. Putting hot water in to use as a hot-water bottle
    3. Peeing in so you don’t have to get out of your hammock in the middle of the night

Make sure you don’t mix up the above uses!

Not sure whether the reference above is to uses 2 or 3.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Since he was mentioning the getting up at night, I'm confident it was behind door number 3.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Arrowhead
    Get yourself a War Bonnett Black Bird, most comfortable hammock i've ever slept in, much more comfortable than a bed!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incu+SLD TW+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Fail, Fail, Fail. I dont think I'm going to be a hammock sleeper. An hour and a half and I was back in bed. It seems to be getting worse and not better. I'm actually getting frustrated trying to get comfortable. I move around a lot when I sleep, and it just doesn't seem to be working for me. I probably will wind up selling this thing.
    Have you ever had a sleepless night in a bed? Or trouble getting to sleep in bed at least and lying there for hours? Did you sell your bed? Just sayin'

Like others have suggested, the problematic part might be the fact that you actually have a way to bail. Where are you gonna go if you can't sleep in your bed? Well maybe the couch, but that might be worse than the bed. If you don't want to commit to actually going on the trail to 'force' yourself to try it for real, if you have a SO, have her lock the door after you or something. Just do it when you know it's gonna be warm enough so you don't freeze

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow.
    Tarp
    None yet
    Insulation
    None yet
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJHC View Post
    A Nalgene bottle is (not surprisingly) a bottle made of Nalgene.

They have three main uses:
    1. Carrying drinking water
    2. Putting hot water in to use as a hot-water bottle
    3. Peeing in so you don’t have to get out of your hammock in the middle of the night

Make sure you don’t mix up the above uses!

Not sure whether the reference above is to uses 2 or 3.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I knew I shouldn't have asked. LOL. I couldn't imagine trying to pee in a bottle while laying in a hammock.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow.
    Tarp
    None yet
    Insulation
    None yet
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by geronimo View Post
    Get yourself a War Bonnett Black Bird, most comfortable hammock i've ever slept in, much more comfortable than a bed!
    Check out Tonopahs comment. Didn't work for him. So I dont know. I'm in this for $350+ so far and really dont want to go more unless I can get used to this one.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow.
    Tarp
    None yet
    Insulation
    None yet
    Images
    I appreciate the comments telling me to go for a long hike and you'll get used to it, or It takes time to get used to it. Not for nothing, but could you imagine a mattress salesman telling you that? We would all walk out the door. After watching some YouTube videos, I was led to believe that Hammock sleeping was the best sleep you could have. So I jumped in with both feet. Wish I had known that this is not for everyone. Nothing against you guys (and gals) that love it, but if I was going to introduce someone to hammock camping I would make sure to let them know that this is not for everyone. At least forewarn them.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I appreciate the comments telling me to go for a long hike and you'll get used to it, or It takes time to get used to it. Not for nothing, but could you imagine a mattress salesman telling you that? We would all walk out the door. After watching some YouTube videos, I was led to believe that Hammock sleeping was the best sleep you could have. So I jumped in with both feet. Wish I had known that this is not for everyone. Nothing against you guys (and gals) that love it, but if I was going to introduce someone to hammock camping I would make sure to let them know that this is not for everyone. At least forewarn them.
    Hope you try a bit more.
    Could be the fabric of your hammock.
    Could be length.
    Could be suspension distance.
    Thus, the Hammock Learning Curve.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek XL
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles

Tonight is the night

Wow, I feel very lucky. I bought a WBRR 3 years ago and have slept well in it since day 1 (which was in my garage on Thanksgiving weekend). Sure, I get up twice a night when nature calls, but my recollection is that happened when I was a ground dweller too. I don't have a problem with it, I have seen some great night skies and fall right back asleep once back inside. I can easily get 8-10 hours of restful sleep hanging, while only getting 5-6 hours in bed and I don't always feel refreshed afterwards. Unfortunately it will probably be March before I can hang again, as I no longer sleep out when it is below 20F and I can't hang my hammock in the house.
    "Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing."
    - Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    WBBB / Chameleon
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    SLD TW / CRO UQ&TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles and Straps
    I took me 4-6 weeks to get a good nights sleep in my WBBB XLC.
    What drove me to a hammock was the rising Great Lakes water levels were flooding out my good camping spots. I was left with roots, rocks, and awkward terrain.
    A hammock seemed the answer.
    The experience was so different, I was constantly focused on how I was laying, what it felt like, how that would feel in 2 hours, ect.
    I was adjusting stuff constantly trying to figure out what I needed to be comfortable. I went back to all the videos I had watched and finally found what I think was
    the answer. I was a simple comment that Shug made that amounted to: Don't sweat it, just get in there, relax, and enjoy yourself.
    Once I stopped fighting it, I started sleeping better.
    My first kayak, hammock, camping trip was 2 weeks. From day one, I had great sleep, aside from the usual night walking.
    Since I've returned from that trip the end of Sept, I've slept one night in my bed. And didn't really like it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast