Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet
    Insulation
    Wooki, DB
    Suspension
    UCR, Dynaweave
    I highly suggest going out and hiking for the day and trying it when you're exhausted and there is no bed to bail to, it may make all the difference.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Shackelford View Post
    I highly suggest going out and hiking for the day and trying it when you're exhausted and there is no bed to bail to, it may make all the difference.
    Second that. If I laid a pad and sleeping bag on the concrete floor in the basement after a day in the office, I'd surely be back in bed before long. Remove the options. Then if you don't find hammocks to your liking, the ground will always be there.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Shackelford View Post
    Agreed... Also, when I first started hammock camping, it would take two nights before I'd start to get consistent extended sleep. I think there is a mental side that isn't used to sleeping in such a fashion that can keep you awake.

After a while, you'll likely get used to it and it just becomes another way that you sleep.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    Amok Draumr
    Tarp
    OEM
    Insulation
    AHE White Cloud
    Suspension
    OEM
    Hennessy hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Hennessy Explorer XL
    Dutchware Chameleon 11 foot

I have not been comfortable for more than a few hours in any of them. I am a side sleeper and thought the Ridgerunner would be the winner but it is too narrow. I ordered an Amok Draumr which was supposed to be delivered yesterday but is still on a truck somewhere. I may soon have a number of hardly used hammocks for sale...we'll see.

Hammock
    chameleon
    Tarp
    hg winter palace
    Insulation
    hg
    Suspension
    spider/poly straps
    i think hammock sleeping is an acquired taste, something that takes practice...bed sleeping was interrupted with shoulder pain from side sleeping...for years i've been sleeping in a very comfortable chair, no side sleeping, & it took practice...with another bicycle tour in my future, i discovered this forum...the idea of sleeping on the ground again inspired me to practice hammock sleeping...have installed a hammock in the extra bedroom, & it has been a learning experience...all the answers to how to do it are contained here & youtube...it takes research & practice on the concepts of how to...the nalgene bottle was the key to my success...g

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow.
    Tarp
    None yet
    Insulation
    None yet
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonopah View Post
    Hennessy hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Hennessy Explorer XL
    Dutchware Chameleon 11 foot

I have not been comfortable for more than a few hours in any of them. I am a side sleeper and thought the Ridgerunner would be the winner but it is too narrow. I ordered an Amok Draumr which was supposed to be delivered yesterday but is still on a truck somewhere. I may soon have a number of hardly used hammocks for sale...we'll see.
    This is definitely not what I need to hear brother, LOL. But me and you can certainly cry in our beers together. I thought I was in too deep with a $350+ Dream Hammock. I'll have to buy your beer for you

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow.
    Tarp
    None yet
    Insulation
    None yet
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by boomzilla View Post
    i think hammock sleeping is an acquired taste, something that takes practice...bed sleeping was interrupted with shoulder pain from side sleeping...for years i've been sleeping in a very comfortable chair, no side sleeping, & it took practice...with another bicycle tour in my future, i discovered this forum...the idea of sleeping on the ground again inspired me to practice hammock sleeping...have installed a hammock in the extra bedroom, & it has been a learning experience...all the answers to how to do it are contained here & youtube...it takes research & practice on the concepts of how to...the nalgene bottle was the key to my success...g
    What the H#$$ is a nalgene bottle and what is it used for? :unsure

Hammock
    Amok Draumr
    Tarp
    OEM
    Insulation
    AHE White Cloud
    Suspension
    OEM
    Well, I have a son-in-law and a grandson who would like to get their hands on a couple of them, so all is not lost. I really really gave the chameleon a good try. Slept in it 5 nights in a row hanging outside my house and then hung it in the trees about 4 miles away for the big test. Comfortable for a while but no real sleep. I think I am just not made for a gathered end hammock and the ridgerunner (bridge hammock) was ok but like sleeping in a culvert and I could not draw my legs up enough to be comfortable on my side. The Amok Draumr promises to be a different beast entirely so I look forward to trying that if USPS ever gets it together to deliver it.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC and DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Wooki / Top quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I bit the bullet and set off on a week-long hike with only my WBBB XLC the first time I slept in my hammock.

Prior to that, just a couple of goes setting it up to make sure I knew how to do it.

Sleeping mat and sleeping bag because I already had them.

Found I adjusted quickly (the long days I was doing probably helped). My record one night was 10 hours sleep!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC and DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Wooki / Top quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by MikJW View Post
    What the H#$$ is a nalgene bottle and what is it used for? :unsure
    A Nalgene bottle is (not surprisingly) a bottle made of Nalgene.

They have three main uses:
    1. Carrying drinking water
    2. Putting hot water in to use as a hot-water bottle
    3. Peeing in so you don’t have to get out of your hammock in the middle of the night

Make sure you don’t mix up the above uses!

Not sure whether the reference above is to uses 2 or 3.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast