Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware/Beetle

Hammock Fabric Questions

Hey guys,

I am looking at getting a new hammock and am having a hard time deciding on the fabric. I have played around with a lot of the fabrics used in hammocks except for the ones I am asking about. Also being on the heavy side of things, I have to use the heavier weight fabrics.

Right now I am running a chameleon in 1.6 hexon, and am thinking about a dream hammock in 1.6 hyper d, 1.7 mtn, or the 1.8 airwave fabrics.

What I am wondering is how these fabrics compare to the 1.6 hexon in stretch and feel. I would like something similar to the 1.6 hexon in stretch and feel since it has some give. I do not want something like Dutch’s dobby 1.9 fabric which had no give at all, I could never get fully comfortable in that one.

Thanks

Senior Member Rusty Shackelford's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet
    Insulation
    Wooki, DB
    Suspension
    UCR, Dynaweave
    Have you considered Dreamtex in the Warbonnet lineup? In my experience it's very similar to 1.6 Hexon.

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    I have a hexon and hyper 1.6. I really like them both, but would give the comfort edge to HyperD which seems less stiff to me. But, like I said, I like them both. Hexon is a bit more cloth like I’d say.

My most comfortable hammock is my Darien in 1.2 MTN. I really like that fabric. It’s more slippery than hexon, but it also has small bumps in it to give grip I suppose. I like it so much that I wouldn’t hesitate to go with 1.7.

I don’t think you have a bad choice here, I like all 3. Like I said, I would be tempted to go with 1.7 and get it as a wide as well. I find 68 really allows me to stretch out with tons of room.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware/Beetle
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Shackelford View Post
    Have you considered Dreamtex in the Warbonnet lineup? In my experience it's very similar to 1.6 Hexon.
    I have not looked at the Warbonnet. I am almost sure I am going to go with a Dream Hammocks Raven. I like the feature set and especially that the zippers are only partial length. and that it is symmetrical.

Also I always get visited by the zipper trickster god at 3:00 am when I have to make an emergency exit from the hammock. Somehow, when this happens, the zippers always make it to the top corners when I am sleeping and need to exit quickly.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware/Beetle
    Quote Originally Posted by Tpatter View Post
    I have a hexon and hyper 1.6. I really like them both, but would give the comfort edge to HyperD which seems less stiff to me. But, like I said, I like them both. Hexon is a bit more cloth like I’d say.

My most comfortable hammock is my Darien in 1.2 MTN. I really like that fabric. It’s more slippery than hexon, but it also has small bumps in it to give grip I suppose. I like it so much that I wouldn’t hesitate to go with 1.7.

I don’t think you have a bad choice here, I like all 3. Like I said, I would be tempted to go with 1.7 and get it as a wide as well. I find 68 really allows me to stretch out with tons of room.
    I thanks for the info.

I am thinking about going to 63 in. for the width. I have the standard 58 in. ones, which are good. I also have the chameleon in the wide version, while I like the extra width it has too much extra fabric flapping around and is hard to see out of. The 68 in one is also harder for me to get out of. I am hoping that something in the 63 in range will be a happy medium between the two.

Senior Member Rusty Shackelford's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet
    Insulation
    Wooki, DB
    Suspension
    UCR, Dynaweave
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefstryker View Post
    I have not looked at the Warbonnet. I am almost sure I am going to go with a Dream Hammocks Raven. I like the feature set and especially that the zippers are only partial length. and that it is symmetrical.

Also I always get visited by the zipper trickster god at 3:00 am when I have to make an emergency exit from the hammock. Somehow, when this happens, the zippers always make it to the top corners when I am sleeping and need to exit quickly.
    No problem, I've never actually tried any of the dream hammocks, may I ask why a symmetrical hammock is your first choice? I also figured I should mention that the zippers on the Warbonnet hammocks meet up right by your shoulder when closed and are incapable of moving up or down to either on their own.

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    I definitely like the Hyper D 1.6 the best of all the fabrics I've tried. I really like the 1.7 MTN too, but occasionally I find it a bit stiffer than I want (but that varies by hike). I too like a symmetrical hammock, I'm finding lately I like to flip flop a bit more than I use to.
    Hammock Tourist / Hammock Fiend / Hammock Therapist

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware/Beetle
    Rusty,

I have both netted and netless hammocks. The netless ones tend to be symmetrical and more versatile to me because sometimes I can’t get to right/left lay and I switch left/right lay and can get to sleep. This isn’t an option with a asym hammock. Think of it this way if you are sore and have tweaked something in your back (which I do a lot) changing the lay of the hammock changes how the fabric pulls against your and body can make all the difference in the world.
    Also I am with Peppy in that I flip flop more than I used too.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware/Beetle
    Peppy,

I just got some samples of Hyper D 1.6 and 1.7 MTN in from Dream Hammocks. I like the feel of the Hyper D more. The 1.7 feels like it is stiffer than the 1.6. I do like the feel of the Hyper D more. I am very much leaning towards the 1.6 Hyper D now.

Decisions, decisions.......

I just bought a Chameleon in Hexon 1.2, VERY soft. Doesn't feel like it's overly stretchy compared to my DIY HyperD 1.6. only had a chance to hang out once as it's been raining non-stop since Christmas.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast