Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch and HG
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Hot hands body heaters

Totally new as far as winter Hammock camping goes. Thinking about trying it out this winter in Michigan‘s Upper Peninsula where night temps could be anywhere from 20° to -50 with windchill.My top quilt and under quilt are both 20°, and I was wondering if anyone has experience using something like the hot hands body warmers as an alternative to multiple quilts or lower temperature rated quilts?

One handwarmer under my waistband can make a big difference!

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    If you are referring to those chemical hand warmers in the small bag you shake, note that in use 1) they seem to like oxygen - to be shaken up and massaged around a little from time to time. 2) they can leak a little and blacken the surrounding area. If you put them in a small bag - like plastic zip lock - they might not get the oxygen they need to work. It’s a challenge.

I’m not saying they all leak. It’s just if one does, it can be messy. We’ve used them for years. Most work, some don't (out if the same batch). When they first came out, I don’t recall them ever leaking. Or failing to heat. So just the sign of the times that the quality isn’t as good with the new stuff.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 12-17-2020 at 16:11.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

If you are serious about hanging in subzero temps, I would recommend trying it close to somewhere you can bail out/ in to if things don't work out so well ie; back yard, park, or close to a trailhead to have access to your car. Also, once you get below 0* things can go south quickly. A 20* UQ/TQ will keep most folks comfortably warm down to @30* in the real world, while others have been warm into the teens- just depends on your own body heat.
    Colder rated UQ/TQ is a much better investment than those handwarmers plus the quilts are reusable for a long time.
    Last edited by ylnfrt; 12-16-2020 at 18:57. Reason: spelling

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    My admiration and cheers to all hammock campers who successfully thrive in sub-zero Fahrenheit temperatures.
    Your dedication and planning, getting right gear and clothing are no small feat

As experts have said, have an easy close by bailout plan in case things go wrong and you begin to freeze.
    I might add- Do not camp alone, camp with others who know what they are doing.

In sub-zero temperatures a fail is not just a fail that can always get a do-over. There is always a chance that one of us unprepared will croak.
    I hope this does not happen to anyone.

Lowest I’ve camped was 5 degrees Fahrenheit and my warm home was a couple hundred yards away. I have no experience in sub-zero hammocking.

Be prepared
    Or at least
    Be prepared to die

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I use hand warmers and they do help a little. They are a not cure all and depending on them to allow you to camp out in temps colder than what your gear is rated for is asking for trouble.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

I'd echo the "they help a little" part. They can be nice as a moral boost for troublesome cold hands/feet, a temp fix, but I don't think they really help that much for sleeping. Or should I say, a nalgene of hot water does a much better job so its not worth investigating further for me atleast.

I have tried them in my footbox, and I don't recall it being anything life changing.

Hammock
    HH Ultralite
    Purchase 1 or 2 zippo hand warmers. Best purchase you will ever make!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    When its cold, I will sleep in my clothes. I place the hand warmers in my front pants pockets as that gets them close to the artery's in the legs and helps spread the warmth
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Dutch 2.4 Hexon 11'
    Tarp
    DD 4x4, 5x5
    Insulation
    HG econ 0* UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Loop Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Longwinters View Post
    Totally new as far as winter Hammock camping goes. Thinking about trying it out this winter in Michigan‘s Upper Peninsula where night temps could be anywhere from 20° to -50 with windchill.My top quilt and under quilt are both 20°, and I was wondering if anyone has experience using something like the hot hands body warmers as an alternative to multiple quilts or lower temperature rated quilts?
    Been Winter Hammocking for 4 years. My limited experience and many talks with other long time winter hangers is that you need quilts to go really low temps. I bought zero degree (F) quilts on purpose instead of 20* to make it into the lower extremes that happen frequently in Michigan. Hand warmers (chem) are good for hands, but unless you are going to cover yourself in them not sure they add much to lower temp range hammock camping.

Quilts are the main heat conservation method. Next up is clothing, wearing more clothes does help in hammock, but, quilts are better (compression, comfort, etc.). Hot water bottles and hand heaters (chemical) are worth something, but not that much compared to quilts/clothing.

I like a lite fleece lap blanket that I'm sure is good for 5-10* comfort because I don't like feel of synthetic up against my body. An underquilt protector seems to add 5-10*, less heat loss, especially in wind. A bugnet or top cover over the ridgeline helps probably 5-10* as well. Again, the game is reduced heat loss. When it's sub-zero there aren't any short-cuts to staying warm, lots of layers and quality insulation. Tarp coverage can make or break a cold camp.

My personal low temp has been neg 8* F for 2 nites. I was warm. It was windy. Using all the above gear, base layer, plus fleece zip up, balaclava, wool socks, fingerless wool gloves. It was cold getting out and getting really dressed in the morning but with enough movement and hot fluids I was fine.

Everyone has different cold comfort ranges. I find I get colder easier as I've aged but I genenerally sleep fairly warm, with enough cover/insulation. Of course an external heat source in a hot tent or hot tarp setup is a game changer, but it is not really backpackable at that point. I usually pulk sled in the winter months, which is my favorite time to camp.

Be careful in your 20* setup, you won't be warm if the temp goes subzero very far.

G

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast