Question about patching a hammock...and an intro...and how not to store gear.

Hi, Been a member for years now but have never posted. This is due partly because I don't understand how to post...I admit it. Mostly, I come on and read and research or jump to the Youtubes and watch my favorite people cause they bring a smile. The other reason for not being more involved has been just a really bad run of bad luck medically. I have a small family and was also taking care of my Mother-in-Law. But then my wife was diagnosed with cancer and then my daughter was juvenile arthritis and that was trying to blind her as well. So everything was up to me to handle and things got crazy. I have kept sane by watching y'all camp and have adventures. Even though you don't know me, you really helped me. Thanks for posting. Things are leveling out now and I hope that I can get back out there soon, not having to be tied directly as a caregiver or to a hospital.

So my gear was stowed for a little while and I had a bit more bad luck. I had purchased some Aquamira water treatment drops. This isn't my go to water system as I typically use a water filter. But I had purchased them for a 72-hour kit along with some other items and the drops where still in sealed bottles in the original packaging, unopened. I had the drops stored in a box with some camping equipment. Well, the cap of one of the bottles (Treatment Part B) containing phosphoric acid somehow opened in the packaging and began to drip. Guess what was directly underneath that packaging? Everything else in the box, while useful, was expendable. Directly under those drops was my brand new Treklight Hammock that I hadn't even had the chance to break in yet due to all the crap mentioned above. My expensive hammock now has multiple holes he way the material laid over itself as it was stuffed in its bishop bag. Wherever the drops fell is where the disintegration took place.

I called Treklight and Aquamira hoping that something could be done but that was a bust. No help there. It was worth a try because sometimes I have had great customer service with a company. I recently called Jacksrbetter, and they were awesome. Admittedly, after all, the fault is my own for trusting an unopened bottle still in the packaging. I should have been more careful. Treklight recommended Gear Aid Tenacious tape. But I don't trust it. I have thought about sewing patches on to the holes with similar material from a Grand Trunk Parasheet I found at a thrift store. I had been reserving the Parasheet to make a gear hammock but I could repurpose it as patch material. I just don't what to destroy it only to find out that you can't patch a hammock. So I leave it to the forum....Can I sew patches over the holes in my hammock? Will it work or do I just count this hammock as a loss?
    As I stated at the beginning, I realize that I don't even know how to use the forum other than just read. Writing in it is new to me and I don't know what to do with Icons, tags, polls etc. So, I don't know who will see this but thought maybe someone would have some expert recommendations or pro-tips. Thanks

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Question about patching a hammock...and an intro...and how not to store gear.

If anyone needs a run of good luck, you certainly deserve to get some good breaks along the way.
    Nothing ventured, nothing gained
    Maybe sew extra fabric over holes, to work until you get a new hammock.
    Talk with your favorite vendors, one or more of them might have a return or a hammock “second” that will be great.

Patches might work YMMV Your Mileage May Vary
    Good Luck

Edit: See SilvrSurfr’s post. He has an analytical mind and always has great posts. He can tell stories so well, I almost feel like I’m there.
    Last edited by Phantom Grappler; 12-15-2020 at 19:20.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    My advice is to count the hammock as a loss.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tear Aid Type A, small squares used to patch both sides of the holes and you will just fine.

It's amazing stuff and it's always worth having some in your kit bag

Macca

Hammock
    SB Pro (modified)
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Spider/Poly
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    My advice is to count the hammock as a loss.
    I'm with SilvrSurfr on this one. Many things can be patched (tarps, down jackets, hiking pants, etc.) but because a hammock is weight bearing this changes the dynamic. I have seen other forum threads where someone was trying to patch a rip, tear, hole in the hammock body but it was discouraged by some of the other senior hammock forum members. Sorry this happened to you.

Hammock
    To many
    Tarp
    To many
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 + oth
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Images
    I'm the odd duck. Until someone who has personally patched theirs & it failed, I'd sew a patch on both sides & use it & stay a little lower to the ground. Or try the tear aid macca recomended. Be the first to give a report on how it does from real experience. Easy to test out close to home or with a cheap back up with you. Very little to loose other than a short drop.

Images
    Hey there Elusivemoose! You are just south west of Mt.Timpanogos, on UT Lake, right? You have some pretty country to hang in! Here is hoping you have a run of good luck! How big are the holes? As a couple of others have said, maybe that Tear Aid Type A or the Gear Aid Tenacious tape that Treklight recommended, then put it to a safe test. Use a patch a good bit larger than the holes. Or sew the holes closed and then maybe put the patch over the sewn area? Put a big thick lawn furniture pad under you, don't hang too high above it, and then really bounce around in it, really stress it, concentrating on the damaged areas.(but be more gentle later in actual extended use) Then look at it and see if there has been any movement at all. If it fails,you fall a short distance onto the pad. If no fail, then lay in it for a few hours or all night, over the pad. If all looks good the next morning, you will probably be good to go for a while. Have a look at the patches after every time you hang. Though, depending on how many holes, you might do better, feel safer and spend less money just buying a new hammock. Good luck, and welcome to the forum!

Hammock
    Trek Light Double
    Tarp
    V9 Strong Tarp
    Images
    Hey @elusivemoose! Just chiming in here because I saw your post. Like you mentioned, when you reached out to us we recommended giving the repair patches a try as the Gear Aid patches are awesome - but as others have mentioned you do need to be careful. Patching small holes in your hammock with Tear Aid or Gear Aid patches can be effective, but it can still be a risk to trust a hammock with that much structural integrity damaged, no matter how good the patches are.

When we heard your story we also really felt bad about what happened and went above and beyond to offer you a discount off a replacement hammock if you wanted it. We obviously can't just replace a hammock for free when you drip phosphoric acid on it, but we're a two-person small business that cares a lot about our customers' happiness and we always do our best to be there for you in any way we can.

I'll admit it pained me a little to see you describe reaching out to us as a 'bust' that went nowhere! If you feel there was something more we could have done to help please let me know. It looks like you're getting some great advice here (welcome to the HammockForums!) If you still want to get that discount to replace your hammock or there's anything else we can do to help, don't hesitate to let us know!

--
    Seth Haber
    Trek Light Gear
    Founder, CEO

• + New Posts