1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps

New Thread Injector Started Knocking...

Hello, all! First post here. I’ve been making my own gear for several now - I’ve gotten 3 hammocks, a tarp, RL organizers, a bug sock, down UQ, and numerous stuff sacks and zip bags under my belt so far. When I first started, the pandemic was just kicking into high gear, and new thread injectors (for less than $150) had all but completely disappeared from store shelves and Amazon. Being broke and impatient, I ordered a Brother JS2135 from the Brother website.

For a “cheap” machine, it’s done everything I’ve asked of it, so I’ve been pretty happy. BUT... it has recently begun making a loud knocking/clunking noise that seems to be coming from the bobbin area, and I’ve tried everything I can think of. I have changed the needle, made sure I was using the correct bobbin type/size, and I’ve given it many, many cleanings. After a cleaning (only using a brush to remove any dust or lint), the noise will momentarily quit, but will start happening again within several minutes. I’ve checked the bobbin case for any damage or burrs, and I don’t see anything. I’ve made sure that the needle and bobbin case are in correctly and that it’s threaded the right way. Nothing has fixed the problem. I use a chalk pen to mark on the darker, slippery stuff like sil and Argon, and I thought maybe the ‘dust’ from the dried chalk pen was dirtying it up, but - again - cleaning hasn’t fixed it.

The machine will still inject thread like normal, but the noise definitely can’t mean anything good. And, again, it’s a fairly new machine, less than a year old. Anybody have a clue what’s going on? Is there something I haven’t thought to check?? Thanks!

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    You oil it all? I've had to disassemble my daughter's sewing machine when it gets clunky and oil it. The hand wheel thingy will get hard to turn unless I periodically oil the moving parts with machine oil. I'll also clean out all the fuzzies.

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    The manual absolutely forbids oiling. There’s a thick, vasoline-like substance on the gears underneath the bobbin case, so I assume that’s what replaces the oil.

Do you have a local repair shop? Something knocking is not good and I would not use it until I figured out what the issue was. just a mechanics $0.02

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Is it still under warranty?

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Well, I took a closer look tonight - don’t want to take too much apart, since I’d have no idea how to put it back together - and I found two black threads from a previous project down in the goopy stuff. I pulled them out with a pair of tweezers, and it seems to be sewing ok for now. I can’t imagine that two small threads would’ve caused so much trouble, but hopefully that was the case. I was sewing with fleece today, a much thicker fabric than I’ve gotten used to, so I hope that the noise has stopped for good. I just began a top quilt project, and it would be a crappy time to have a down machine. If that didn’t solve the problem, then yes, I believe it’s still under warranty. I was just hoping that it was something that I could fix. Maybe it was. Fingers crossed!

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    Sometimes with those style of bobbin holders you get wear. That black piece the bobbin pops down into.
    It will start to shift. If that's the case then that piece can be replaced on the machines I have seen.
    Not sure about yours.
    Hopefully your fix works!

Hammock
    11ft amazon special
    Tarp
    10x10 Aqua Quest
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    DW cinch buckles
    It sounds like it might have slipped slightly out of time and that the needle may be hitting the bobbin carrier on the downstroke. If you remove the bobbin and run the machine by hand, does the needle impact the metal at any point? Moving it slowly you are more likely to feel it than to hear it. If it kind of scrapes or binds then it might be out of time. I have had that happen on a similar machine when I was going through too many layers of cordura.

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Yeah, it does better after I take it apart and brush away any lint or dust, and the sound just gradually begins to get louder. Maybe it’s just super sensitive to lint and dust (although having to give it a brush down every hour or so of sewing seems a little excessive). From everything I’ve read online, and from what you’ve said, Firesong, I do think that a burr on the bobbin case is the most likely answer - whether I’ve actually been able to find a burr or not. I’ll order another bobbin case, and hopefully that’ll fix it for good until I can afford a better machine. Now that I’m hopelessly hooked on MYOG, I see an upgrade in my future. Thanks everybody!

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    And no, Thaddeocious, it didn’t seem to be hitting anything when I tried that. And so far, it’s still sewing fine - if not quietly. Until the new bobbin case gets here, I’ll just take it easy, and hopefully that fixes it. Thanks, neighbor!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast