Newbies in Roseville MN

I'm a 60+ mom who is grateful for a son (now adult) who constantly drags me into new adventures. We are planning our first winter camping trip, hoping for snow but OK with whatever. We are looking for suggestions for good spots within a couple hours of the twin cities. We are planning for a cart/sled in site so we can over-pack the car (just in case our gear needs more layering than it's rated). We love hiking the north shore, but I don't have any experience with winter at campgrounds like split rock that are right on the shore of the big lake. Any hints for great places to hang would be greatly appreciated.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Bandit TQ Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I have been thinking about doing an overnight at Lake Maria State Park this winter. Not sure if the hike in sites are far enough away to warrant a sled, also not sure if that is a plus or a minus. Site B1 looks beautiful and has a couple of spots to hang, especially if no one is in a tent. The other site that looked good was B7, though that seemed like it could be really windy depending on the night. I have done the loop around there in the winter and it was a wonderful snowy hike, just ended with me getting in the car and heading home previously.

My hopeful plan is to head up early(ish), setup my hammock, do the loop around the park and then just relax at the camp rest of the day. Maybe a prep trip before whatever comes next for you two.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    DIY 0* HG 0*
    Suspension
    Hg daisy chain
    Quote Originally Posted by Adroa View Post
    I have been thinking about doing an overnight at Lake Maria State Park this winter. Not sure if the hike in sites are far enough away to warrant a sled, also not sure if that is a plus or a minus. Site B1 looks beautiful and has a couple of spots to hang, especially if no one is in a tent. The other site that looked good was B7, though that seemed like it could be really windy depending on the night. I have done the loop around there in the winter and it was a wonderful snowy hike, just ended with me getting in the car and heading home previously.

My hopeful plan is to head up early(ish), setup my hammock, do the loop around the park and then just relax at the camp rest of the day. Maybe a prep trip before whatever comes next for you two.
    B1 is closed for winter if there is snow, it’s on the ski trail but the B11 group is open. Let me know if you want company I might be in.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Bandit TQ Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Aw looking at the winter map you are totally right. Better to learn that now then when I am excited to book though. Have to find some time to get back there for a walk and checkout those sites on the inner loop.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ColdMama View Post
    I'm a 60+ mom who is grateful for a son (now adult) who constantly drags me into new adventures. We are planning our first winter camping trip, hoping for snow but OK with whatever. We are looking for suggestions for good spots within a couple hours of the twin cities. We are planning for a cart/sled in site so we can over-pack the car (just in case our gear needs more layering than it's rated). We love hiking the north shore, but I don't have any experience with winter at campgrounds like split rock that are right on the shore of the big lake. Any hints for great places to hang would be greatly appreciated.
    Wild River SP has backpacking sites that are pretty good. Afton State Park too.
    Good place to practice with your Winter set-up.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts