Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images

VA- GHSP/ Mt-Rogers-Winter-Hang, Changed to Feb, 25-28, 2021

GHSP/ Mt. Rogers - The Original Cold Weather Hammock Forum Hang!

Because of Covid restrictions on group size, we are moving the Winter Hang to Feb, 25-28, 2021.
    Hoping for better days!
    It's still going to be very much winter in GHSP!

The first Grayson Highlands/ Mt Rogers group hang was in Jan, 2007, shortly following the start of Hammock Forums.
    Name tag from #3...
    Hang.jpg

The Grayson Highlands Winter Hang, sometimes called The Mt Rogers Winter Hang, started in Jan 2007, with a group from the original founding members of Hammock Forums.
    We did the first few of these hiking in to the Wise Shelter.
    Click image for larger version.
    1.jpg 2.jpg

Eventually we moved the location of this winter hang to the Group site area of GHSP.
    They have always taken very good care of our group and we try to return the favor by respecting the park Rangers, staff, other visitors and the park.
    3.jpg
    The story behind changing locations for this winter hang site can be found in tales around the blazing group fire!
    ************************************************** ***************************************

The Mt. Rogers Winter Hang happens because people volunteer to do stuff!
    It organizes itself on a Google Spreadsheet.
    Please register on the Google Spreadsheet. It helps greatly with planning.
    There are two parts to the spread sheet...
    Attendees, general info
    Pot luck, raffle donations
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...R6c/edit#gid=0

REGISTRATION SPREADSHEET HERE. Updates to come. Check back often.

The sheet is set up so you can change your answers at any time if your plans change or if you need to add or delete information. It is more or less self-explanatory, but don’t hesitate to ask questions. Expect it to change substantially, so check back shortly before the hang.

All costs, the group site, fire wood and port-a-john are covered by the raffle.
    Tickets to the gear raffle are sold in camp. Bring cash to buy as many tickets as you like!
    $5 per ticket or 5 for $20

I don't believe that the raffle has ever failed to exceed (by far) what GHSP would have charged for the group site as well as take care of the port-a-john and firewood. In fact the raffle proceeds we have donated to the park through "Friends Of Grayson Highlands" have been generous.
    We love giving back to such a beautiful state park, especially since they have treated our group so well.
    In the the event we were to fall short of a worthy donation to cover our event, we might ask if some would help add by an additional donation.

Some choose to make an extra donation anyway as a help to GHSP, or in a couple cases, The Rugby Fire and Rescue.

Vendors Sales: People often ask if vendors will be selling at group hangs. The answer is no. The vendors have discussed this and say it's not something they want to do.
    But you can see their hammock setups, tarps, quilts, etc. any time during the weekend and during the hammock tours.

Some vendors make raffle donations and have been very generous but they have been so overwhelmed in recent years by the growing number of group hangs that we try not to press them.
    Also, adds a lot to the raffle when those making the trip to contribute new or gently used things to the raffle prizes.
    There is always a pretty nice bunch of stuff on the raffle tables!

A Ranger from GHSP has been selling us local firewood for several years now.
    He even stacks it near the fire ring!
    Please do not bring firewood from areas infected by the Emerald Ash Borer. http://emeraldashborer.info/

No need to stop at the ranger station or pay a parking fee. They know we're coming!

----------------------------------------------------------
    Wonder what it's like to do a winter hang at Grayson Highlands State Park/ Mt. Rogers Area?

Mt. Rogers can be an interesting place in winter! Over the last few years, she's given us some eventful times...to say the least.
    We have had a couple events were it was not so cold but rainy.
    Click image for larger version.
    4.jpg

A few years ago the in coming blizzard was so intense, the powers that be over Virginia State Parks made the decision to close all Virginia State Parks, so our group dispersed.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...SP+Winter+Hang

But for the most part, the conditions have been perfect for a "Winter Hang".
    If you're looking for a challenge with a bit of a safety factor (because the cars are near by), pack your rig and join us Feb, 25-28. You're guaranteed to leave with a story or two!

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW

Organizers: Hickery, slowhike, and anyone else that wants to help.

829 Grayson Highland Lane, Mouth of Wilson, VA 24363

GHSP Office (276) 579 7092

Parking is available at the store and also near the permanent bathroom, a short walk from our hang sites and the fire ring.

The AT goes right through the park for fantastic day hiking or backpacking before or after the hang.
    Lat,Lon 36.63974,-81.487355.

Camping (hanging) is in the area around the group camp site and beyond he pavilion, same as last year.
    Most of our group are hammock campers but we often have a person or two join us with their tent. No problem.
    Everyone is welcome.

Note; One year a few of our folks ventured into the main part of the campground to set up their hammock camps. That is not allowed. We are asked to use the wooded areas surrounding the group site and pavilion only. But there is more than enough room to spread out or be near camp central.

More links:
    Park Information- https://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state-p...yson-highlands
    See weather and more on the above link.

USE EXTREME CAUTION ON PARK ROADS - If weather is snowy or icy, please be extremely careful on park roads.
    Even if there is no snow, there may be ice on blind curves where water drains across road and then freezes.
    The park plows the roads in the case of snow but driving can still be tricky on steep roadways.
    Two wheel drives usually are fine as long as caution is used you have decent thread on your tires.
    Go slow, be safe. Others will appreciate your safe driving.

SCHEDULE of EVENTS – This hang is less structured than some others. Some people will post about hikes or backpacking overnighters on the AT.
    Most will start arriving Friday afternoon through Saturday morning but some will arrive on Thursday, sometimes doing an overnight backpack trip on the AT.
    Take part in a hike or you can just hang at the pavilion.

Saturday evening is potluck dinner and raffle.
    Bring some food or drink to share. Can be simple purchased items or food you prepared at home or in camp. But remember in can be cold and windy so be prepared to cook in those conditions.
    See spread sheets.

Sunday morning people start packing to leave. Some plan to meet at the restaurant about 15 minutes away, for breakfast.

All other meals are on-your-own, but they have a communal feeling, as people cook around the group fire near the pavilion.
    A big tarp (Son Of Blue) provides coverage for the fire pit area.
    Hickery has it.

In addition, it’s nice to have 3 or 4 tarps on the windward side of the pavilion.
    ************************************************** ****************************

GENERAL INFORMATION
    Family-Friendly Event: We pride ourselves on being a family-friendly camping hang. As an advertised family friendly event, we ask all hangers to use appropriate language and actions in front of others.

The Winter Hang is a great way for beginners to try winter hanging. Your car is parked next to the hang spot so you can bring as much gear as you need to stay warm. There are experienced hangers who can show you how to improve your winter hang. Plus you will see all the latest and greatest equipment that winter hangers use.

Bathrooms, Showers, Water in the camp ground are closed for winter. But Hickery has a Porta John brought in and sat up in the parking area nearby.

Bring your water from home or get water at the park office.
    In colder conditions, water can be kept from freezing by keeping it in a cooler, maybe with a jug of hot water, heated on stove or fire.

Covered Pavilion: Yes! – it is used mostly for the raffle, though you can cook meals under the roof if you’re neat. (It’s warmer around the fire ring.)

There's no better place to see winter hammock gear in action.

Many thanks to the people who make this happen. And to the people who attend who make it worth organizing. This is Hammock Forums' first organized winter hang!

Slowhike and Hickery
    Last edited by attroll; 01-19-2022 at 10:52.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Blue Bean by Shug,Clark Tropical
    Tarp
    Shug Over,WBSF
    Insulation
    Crowsnest&Burrow
    Suspension
    Once
    Hot dang. Let's plan on having some fun ! Let snow,let snow,let it snow ! Or at least be cold ( with no wind ) ����
    "I like grits,because they have no bones" Chet Atkins

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    High my
    High my
    High my
    High my gonna stay warm

All time fun hang, thanks Hickery and Slowhike

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickery View Post
    Hot dang. Let's plan on having some fun ! Let snow,let snow,let it snow ! Or at least be cold ( with no wind ) ����
    No wind??? Right!

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    High my
    High my
    High my
    High my gonna stay warm

All time fun hang, thanks Hickery and Slowhike
    You are welcome.
    I was really impressed with the Yates Hang!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz

Tim, try this one if the message I sent does not work. Copy this url and paste to your 1st post.
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockdawg69 View Post

Tim, try this one if the message I sent does not work. Copy this url and paste to your 1st post.
    I had already been there trying to clear last years info and removed to much.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    I had already been there trying to clear last years info and removed to much.
    Look back at 2019 or 2018 to get the headers. You can add them in each column since the sheet is open to anyone to edit. Cleared 2nd sheet
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    We do have one concern.
    Hoping that covid restrictions will not reduce the group size.
    Hopefully, being outside in the cold, they will not.
    Let you know as we learn.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner/W.Logics Snipe
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    LocoLibre UQ,WLTQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Bks, whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickery View Post
    Okie Dokie - I had so much fun this past Grayson Fall hang that I've put this one in my calendar for Justin.

Just-in-case I decide to go

I may need to borrow some artificial hair because my antlers fall off in the winter and I have No Hair. Maybe one of PG's 5 toboggins he wears would be sufficient...... Lol

Hope I can make it and bring some Livermush to contribute to the LM sampling table.....
    MooseMan
    North Carolina
    "It is easier to prevent bad habits than to break them" <Ben Franklin>

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Signed up! Very much looking forward to this hang... it's been too long. I may be up for an overnighter Thursday, not sure. Wise or Thomas Knob?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast