Tarp
    Dutchware Winter
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SpiderWeb/Whoopie

Hello Everyone

Hello Everyone,
    My name is Jason and I live in the Nashville area. I recently went on my first backpacking trip since I was a teenager (over 20 years ago) and I loved it, I am looking forward to getting back into the hobby. Even though the backpacking is sort of new, camping is not...

I should say that this was my first trip j modern backpacking as I am also involved in historical reenacting of the Revolutionary War era and my friends and I used to be very active in what’s called historical trekking, which basically involves backpacking with gear from your chosen time period. When my fiends and I went out the only modern items we took were cameras, first aid kits, and water filters. Everything else came from the Rev. War period.

My family and I also do a lot of RV camping with friends we’ve met through over landing. We have a small off-road camper that I’ve spent 32 nights in this year so far.

That all being said, even as a teen I slept in a hammock when we backpacked, back then it was one of those net hammocks and I used a moving pad as a blanket. No underquilt, no tarp, no diagonal lay... Things are much better now.

I look forward to learning more from you all and becoming a part of this community. The three pictures I’ve attached are a pic of me on a trek, starting a fire using flint and steel, a picture of our off-road camper, and my camp (and friends hammock) up from Celestial Point in the Linville Gorge.
    Jason
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Darien
    Tarp
    HG Hex
    Insulation
    HG and CRO
    Suspension
    Kevlar-Lapp Hitch
    Hello Jason, welcome to the forum! You are probably familiar with Fort Watauga at Sycamore Shoals in Elizabethton, TN. I live about 5 minutes from there. Lot's of historic camping and reenactment there. What led to your interest in historic reenactment? What historic trekking skill/knowledge could modern day backpackers benefit from the most?
    "Walking is man's best medicine." - Hippocrates

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    That’s a strak rig, looking forward to meeting you at Grayson.

If I got paid to tell lies...
    It just wouldn’t be as much fun...

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    Dutchware Winter
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SpiderWeb/Whoopie
    I'm very familiar with them and have a lot of friends who attend the events there. But I've never actually been there... Despite working within 2 hours at Wilderness Road State Park in Ewing, Virginia from 2004-2008.

As far as what led my interest, I went to my first event at 15 years old and I fell in love, camping, throwing knives and tomahawks, and shooting, those were all things I was interested in. A year and a half later I had my kit and I started in pretty hardcore (and I now make my living through it).

The skill/knowledge man that's a hard one. Some things are universal, we need shelter, food, etc. 18th century kit is heavy and isn't exactly the most comfortable to carry. You learn to trim what you carry as much as possible to save weight. But I think 1 pair of my heavy wool knee length socks weighs about half of what my down coat weighs. One day I will have to put my gear together again and weigh it to see what my base weight was for 18th century camping. It's going to be over 30 I can guarantee.
    JG

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    Dutchware Winter
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SpiderWeb/Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    That’s a strak rig, looking forward to meeting you at Grayson.
    Thanks man! I hope I can make it, it sounds like a blast!

Hammock
    GE 11' Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    11' x 9' Hex
    Insulation
    SLD Trail Winder
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Greetings and welcome to the Elevated Perspective, Jason! Another newbie to the forums myself, with home base in the Nashville area. And for what it’s worth, a proud member of the NSSAR. Looking forward to hooking up with some locals once we get through this pandemic mess. E pluribus unum!

Hi Brian! I hope you enjoy it here! I also came here for advice and they helped me, I think they will help you too! Good luck with your hobby !! All the best to you)

Banned
    Hi, there! Nice to meet you all.

• + New Posts