WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps

Changes with RR and SpinDrift

It seems Warbonnet has made some changes to the RidgeRunner and SpinDrift. Their videos for that gear only address the older style so I’m asking those with new setups if what I describe matches their experience.

1. RR connection at the hammock - the old style had metal brackets and as such, the spreader bars were installed inside the sock with the Amsteel dogbones feeding out the sock’s grommet holes. The new RR doesn’t use metal brackets - it has a “hole” in the Amsteel to receive the spreader bar pin. As such, the suspension dog bone can be pulled through the sock grommet so the spreader bar poles can be connected outside the spindrift. Although this is a new feature and makes it easier to remove the poles when using the spindrift, I’d mostly be using the spindrift in the winter and I kinda think I’d rather have those poles inside the sock, a bit protected from the weather, then outside with a higher potential of freezing.

2. Warbonnet mentioned nylon (grosgrain?) loops on the outside of the SpinDrift that the spreader bars could slide through - mine don’t have those so that much be a feature of newer socks?

3. The older RR had a “shorter header bar” option by removing a center piece, reducing the bar length about 4 inches. The New RR head bar is still three pieces, but the end pieces are shorter and middle piece longer - keeping the total full length the same as the old RR bar. I was told to remove the center piece on the new RR for that “shorter” option but doing so would reduce it 10 inches, not just 4. Also, that would leave you with two female sections (middle section is double male). I was told that “optionally" using the middle section insert (“male” part) would add stability to the shorter pole setup. But as the two pieces with the middle removed are just two female pieces, I don’t see how any insert is an Option - it seems to be a Requirement. It was suggested I could remove the insert part of the middle pole but it appears to be pinned to the middle sleeve. i.e. it is not designed to be removed.

So is that the deal - that using the newer spreader bars and shorter head end option results in poles being 10 inches shorter, not just 4? And you sort of have to mechanically break the middle section, by pulling the insert free, in order to use it with the two females sections? Seems, with the new RR’s poles, having a shorter head end pole is not really a designed in option? Certainly not as easy as the older pole mechanics.

4. The new RR is supposed to have a “head divot”, sort of a pocket near the head spreader bar. I see a little pouch there but it seems like my head would hit the spreader bar if it was that near the pocket. Also, there’s a little squeeze toggle with about i.5 inches of play on some cord. What is that for?

I have been in contact with Warbonnet but sometimes it helps to hear someone else describe their setup.

Or maybe there’s a video of that head end feature/setup. So far, all I’ve found are setups for the older style RR.

5. In the instructions for the RR, it mentions having the foot end 12 inches higher than the head end. I do understand “foot end higher” on a GE. And I know WB suggestions about a 16” difference with the BlackBird. But 12” seems a little extreme for a bridge hammock. As the instructions for the GE say to measure from the hammock ends (not the tree connection), I figure the height above ground measure for the RR is meant to be at the spreader bars. Do you usually set it up with that much head/foot end difference?
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 12-10-2020 at 00:48.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Check out RPelton1 on u-tube, he did a good video of the new ridge runner and that may answer some of your questions.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Thank you. A little search and I found the series of videos. My afternoon activities are now set
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    As for point number 5, yes, I find the hammock more comfortable if the foot end is about 12 inches higher than the head end, minimum.

It not only stops you from subtly sliding down the hammock in the night, but also seems to change the support of the hammock under my claves in some weird way that makes the hammock a bit more comfy.

“Also, there’s a little squeeze toggle with about i.5 inches of play on some cord. What is that for?”
    Tie off for rolled up bugnet

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    DrPhun - I believe the bug net rolls towards the foot end of the hammock. Note that I said the loop/toggle is at the head end. If you can unzip so the net ends up at the head end, then the cord/toggle combination is too short to gather anything.

In videos, I saw the head end spreader bar passed through the loop. I don’t know if that extra fabric is sort of a pocket for stuff at the head end - like the saddle bags on the sides - or is a place for your head if you are up that far in the bridge. It seems like you’d hit your head on the spreader bar.

I was puzzled because it seems sewing the very light bungee cord in a U, then running the ends through a toggle and tying them, just to make a pass-through loop for the head spreader pole, is a little excessive. So I figure I’m misunderstanding it’s function.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 12-16-2020 at 16:39.

I guess I should have looked first. It is for the spreader bar. C7947478-E2CC-4CE2-A994-25F291515C44.jpeg

There is space for storage above/past your head at the end. The head divot thing is more like a raised ridge further from the spreader bar.

The previous versions of the spreader bar allowed a section to be left out. The newer version does not do that for the reasons you mentioned, but it does nest better when packed.

The straps to gather up the bug net are at the foot end with no toggles.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow; pads, Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutch's Cinch Bugs
    Yeah, the loop/toggle thingy at the head end is for the spreader bar to go through. That holds the fabric closer to the spreader bar, and keeps it from collapsing around your head -- this works especially well if you've shortened the spreader bar length (e.g., with the original spreader bars), because a shorter spreader bar loosens that fabric. It makes less of a difference if you use the full-length standard spreader bar.

People who liked to shorten the spreader bars may have thought the RR was too tippy (I didn't; just sayin).

The head divot has been there from the earliest RRs; maybe its changed, but its not new.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    My adventure partner goes back and forth on the wide/narrow option on the head spreader bar. Note that if you want that option, you might need to ask for the older pole set. The older set had a 4 inch “spacer” piece between the two main header pieces. The new set also has three pieces but the middle piece is now a 10 inch double male. So not only is the “shortening” more than doubled (10 inches vs 4 inches), you have to find some way to connect the two femaie pieces with the middle piece removed.

• + New Posts