SLD, Townsend bridge
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB,UGQ,Nunatak
    Suspension
    Beckets

Setting snow anchors when it is windy.

In my area I have cold temperatures, often below 0F, but not a lot of snow on the ground all the time. There may be a couple inches of snow but not nearly enough to just dig in a snow anchor and it will hold and the frost has set in to the ground so a stake cannot be put in the ground. When it is not windy it is no big deal, I just put my deadman anchor in the couple inches of snow and layer snow on top of it and packing it down. It sets up rock hard in about 5-10 minutes.

My question is when it is super windy what is a good way to set your anchors? The wind pulls on the tarp and pulls them out before they are set. I have been thinking that I should have my lines separate from the tarp and set the anchors before I pull the tarp out of the snakeskins but I don't love that idea because it may mean more fiddling with cold fingers or big gloves.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    DIY UCR-LoopDLoop
    Fiddly as it is, I have had luck letting the anchors/deadmen set up before attaching the tarp. The other option I have seen suggested is to use the large 10"-12" spikes (giant nails) and pound them into the frozen ground. I have not had to go this route, but I was close a couple of times last year, and have a set at the ready.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    In the wind and snow I unhook my snow stakes and let them set then attach the tarp. Works well.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Another thing you can do is compact the snow ahead of time — say 15-30 minutes, maybe more if it's really dry — before pitching your tarp so that the snow can consolidate.

Afterwards, scratch out a little trench perpendicular to the direction of pull, with the bottom of the trench angled slightly toward the tarp. Scrape out a little channel for the guyline so it can stretch directly toward the tarp. Bury it and let the rest of the snow on top consolidate.

When there's lots of snow I love it because I don't have to carry any stakes. I use small branches and connect the guy line with a mooring hitch and leave the tail sticking out of the snow. In the morning pull the tail and the guy line comes right out and the branch remains in the snow.

deadman 05.jpg deadman02.jpg deadman03.jpg
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    m00ch, you’ll note in the photos above they both use some mechanical guy adjustment, not just knots. The reality of winter is its cold/frozen and big, easy to manipulate with gloves on, hardware makes setup so much easier.

It sounds like you’ve identified the problem - the wind pulling out the stakes before they are set. So don’t attach to them until they are set. Also, minimize the pull/push forces by orientation of your tarp. Seems wintertime especially “encourages” us to acknowledge and work with the season's special challenges.

Also, you can use the snow to build a wind break wall. But just like waiting for your tarp anchors to set, usually you pack out and area, then stay off it for 15 minutes or so - have lunch nearby. then the area you packed down will be setup for carving out a bench, cooking area, or providing a quarry to cut snow blocks for additional construction.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Othello View Post
    The other option I have seen suggested is to use the large 10"-12" spikes (giant nails) and pound them into the frozen ground. I have not had to go this route, but I was close a couple of times last year, and have a set at the ready.
    I still find stakes easier, no matter the snow depth. Well, a couple feet anyway. I just dig down and put the stake in as usual. If it's really frozen, it only needs 2" maybe to grab. Too much and it will be hard to get out.

Hammock
    SLD, Townsend bridge
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB,UGQ,Nunatak
    Suspension
    Beckets
    Thanks for the suggestions on setting the stakes. I will try them and see what I like best.

Oneclick- Are you using a hammer to drive the stakes? When there is a foot of frost in the ground I don’t see any other way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    About 30 years ago I came up with these dedicated deadman stakes, mainly for camping in a tent above treeline, but you could use them anywhere that sticks might be hard to find.

I called 'em Deadfeathers, basically just the yellow plastic stakes with the heads and pointy ends cut off, and holes drilled in them. Only downside is you have to dig them up, but when properly used they'd stand up to Cat 5 hurricane winds. Most they ever encountered was about 80mph, though.

deadfeather01.jpg
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by m00ch View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions on setting the stakes. I will try them and see what I like best.

Oneclick- Are you using a hammer to drive the stakes? When there is a foot of frost in the ground I don’t see any other way.
    I've used the back of my hatchet, but usually after digging underneath a lot of snow it's good enough to push in with a stick or something hard...not just by bare thumb.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    Straps and Beetle
    I have some steel spikes for frozen ground. Aluminum gutter nails are a cheap light alternative. I just smothed mine up with a file.

• + New Posts