Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

MyersTech Whoopie Slings

IMG_4791.jpg

I just took my first trip after swapping out the buckle suspension system on my Warbonnet XLC to whoopie slings from MyersTech. These things work great! Wish I would've swapped a while ago. The whoopies let you make small adjustments to get your hammock dialed in perfectly.

Right now I had to use a beckett hitch on the slings but will be swapping out the poly straps for some Dynaweave straps and might end up switching to the marlinspike instead of the beckett switch. Though I am glad that I learned the knot as a backup.

Has anyone else used the MyersTech whoopies long term? My only concern with them is that the 2mm cord thats used has a breaking strength of 900 pounds. Somewhere I came across a line that your suspension should handle 1000 pounds. I dont plan on jumping up and down in the thing but I want to make sure they last a while and I'm not replacing the whoopies every year.

Senior Member Rusty Shackelford's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet
    Insulation
    Wooki, DB
    Suspension
    UCR, Dynaweave
    Lots of people use Dynaglide which is what he makes his ultralight whoopie slings from, and yes it is 900lb test but that's the breaking strength not working load limit. I personally prefer something a little more robust like 7/64" Amsteel with a 5:1 factor of safety at 320lbs but keep in mind that a FOS of 5 is the minimum for non critical uses and 15+ is recommended for life/rescue lines. Some people even opt for 1/8" Amsteel for added security and peace of mind, especially bigger guys.
    Last edited by Rusty Shackelford; 12-07-2020 at 17:05.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks for the info Rusty.

I ended up ordering some more substantial whoopies. Looks like the safe weight limit on the ultralight ones I have now is 225 pounds. I'm 200 which is closer than I'd like.

Funny Rusty Shackelford is the name I use to order pizzas...

Senior Member Rusty Shackelford's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet
    Insulation
    Wooki, DB
    Suspension
    UCR, Dynaweave
    Yea, in my opinion the minimal weight savings gained by switching to the 2mm line isn't worth the trade off in safety in my opinion, true you aren't likely to die from a broken hammock suspension but it certainly isn't going to be good for you or your gear either. If you really like the idea of whoopies but want to shave a little weight/bulk maybe look into buying or making some UCRs. The pair I made weigh less than 1oz and adjust from 2 - 6' which isn't as close as whoopies at 12-14" but I can always tie off to my continuous loops with a becket hitch if things are too close to use them.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Got my new 7/64 amsteel whoopies in the mail today and got them setup on my Warbonnet XLC. Definitely much more substantial. The 2mm line I couldnt believe would hold me, this stuff is much more robust and a just a bit easier to work with. Looking forward to using this stuff with my new dynaweave straps.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sideshowraheem View Post
    Got my new 7/64 amsteel whoopies in the mail today and got them setup on my Warbonnet XLC. Definitely much more substantial. The 2mm line I couldnt believe would hold me, this stuff is much more robust and a just a bit easier to work with. Looking forward to using this stuff with my new dynaweave straps.
    First time I saw someone hanging off 2mm (I think it's nominally 2.2mm) Dynaglide I thought it looked insane!

It'd probably be okay long term if you're really careful with it, but with its comparatively low rating there isn't a whole bunch of room for error such as a shallow hang or a knot or wear/tear/nick/snag that reduces break strength.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    First time I saw someone hanging off 2mm (I think it's nominally 2.2mm) Dynaglide I thought it looked insane!

It'd probably be okay long term if you're really careful with it, but with its comparatively low rating there isn't a whole bunch of room for error such as a shallow hang or a knot or wear/tear/nick/snag that reduces break strength.
    Totally agree! I weigh 200, by the time I toss in the 2 pound book I lug with me, pillow, down boots, pad, underquilt, topquilt, etc for a winter trip I'm a lot closer to that safe limit then I'm comfortable with.

This 7/64 stuff hardly weighs anymore and should work great. Loving my setup now with these, dynaweave straps and toggle for marlin spike setups.

• + New Posts