ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Yukon/ChillGorilla
    Insulation
    Quilts or MSS
    Suspension
    Straps

Packing my gear - quilts and space

So I was getting ready to go this weekend, but plans changed and I didn't end up going. Some questions came up though while packing my new setup:

Ula Circuit
    HG Econ 20 degree set

It seems the quilts take up a huge amount of space in my pack. I just crammed them down in the bottom. They compressed well, but it seems I didn't have a lot of room left for other stuff once I got my hammock, straps, tarp, and other accessories in the pack. Am I doing something wrong? I figured stuffing them without the sacks would make better use of available space. My cook kit/pot was in one side pouch, with my sleep clothes in the stuff pocket on the outside and a pullover in the shock cord. I had a some food pouches (a couple MH and PG) in there and it was full. I had some misc items in the removable pocket inside (fire kit, toiletries, etc).

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The struggle is real. A a bigger volume pack or do what you did and just make it work.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    That’s a 68 liter pack, right?

I get my three season kit, which presently includes a huge 20 degree sleeping bag that weighs 4 pounds ( it’s old) into a 55 liter pack. So, sleeping bag, UQ, clothes, food,stove,shelter, essentials all stuffed into the pack without stuff sacks. Ok I’m lying. The cook pot is in a sack and my food is in a bear bag. Everything else get crammed/ stuffed in. A couple of items (tarp, suspension, water, poop kit and filter) ride outside. A couple of tips:

For your own peace of mind try the stuff sacks for the quilts. I don’t think it will make a big difference but you need to see for yourself.
    Don’t be afraid to really moosh the quilts down, manhandle them into place. I put anything needed to stay dry in a liner and then fold the liner back on itself. Sometimes that helps contain the quilts.
    Try loading the night before and stacking some heavy items on top to promote compression. I’ve been known for put kettle bells in the pack to get things to compress. Just remember to remove them before you leave!
    Try different packing arrangements to see if that helps
    Last but not inexpensive: high quality premium quilts with high fill power and lighter fabric compress into smaller parcels.

Shug has some packing videos with that pack, I think. Of course he does!!

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Although I could get into a lot more detail about this, the topic goes far beyond general hammock talk and the mods would shoot it down in flames like the Hindenburg.

Better to take it up in one of the Donating Member sub-fora, such as Backpacking or Ultra Lite gear.

Specific to the quilts, however, the Econs are great quilts but they are made with 20D shells which do not compress nearly as much as 10D shells, and it actually has a much bigger impact than using 800fp vs 950fp for the fill. Although the best possible combo is still a thin (10D or 7D) shell and high fp down. Of course the HG Premium quilts cost significantly more so you have to decide if it is worth it for the kind of backpacking you do.

This is just one of many, many ways to drastically reduce volume and lighten your backpack.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Just keep cramming. Try them like you are and try in stuff sacks.
    It is an art form.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Another thing that works well is using just one stuff sack. Put the UQ in that, then pack the TQ loose around it to fill the bottom of the pack. That lets you get some "control" of all that down. Once it's in a stuff sack, that's it. But loose in a pack they kind of do whatever they want.

Or get a big 40-50L drybag or pack liner. Put both quilts in there, squeeze out the air (even kneel on it), then stuff in the pack. Make sure it doesn't "inflate" while packing

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    And one other hammock specific tip. Try separating the hammock from the tarp and suspension. A couple of smaller parcels might be better than one giant one. It also keeps the wet stuff (tarp and suspension) away from the dry stuff (hammock and quilts).

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    3/4 or full length UQ? TQ a standard or wide? Length, standard or long? Overstuff? Try using the stock HG stuff sacks. How big is your hammock and tarp when packed? What kinda straps? I had some Amazon daisy chain 10' straps that were pretty bulky.

The main compartment in my pack is only 42L. With my 20F Econ Burrow/Phoenix (3/4 length) in their stuff sacks, they take up maybe 10-12L of space. I keep my straps and tarp on the outside of the pack in the mesh pocket. Honestly even with all my gear and 4-5 days of food, I still have a fair amount of volume left over.

Senior Member Rusty Shackelford's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet
    Insulation
    Wooki, DB
    Suspension
    UCR, Dynaweave
    Anything your not worried about getting wet can also be carried in the outside pockets of your pack like your tarp, suspension, stakes, etc. leaving you more internal volume for items that must remain dry. I too do not use stuff sacks, I use a trash compactor liner and I'm able to get my 20° 850FP Warbonnet quilts and everything else I need for 3 days in my 48L pack with some planning. My advice is to use as few stuff sacks as possible for your gear, organization is great but when you get too many stuff sacks in a pack you end up with a lot of unused space between them.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Yukon/ChillGorilla
    Insulation
    Quilts or MSS
    Suspension
    Straps
    Thanks guys, I'll play around with it some more. The quilts are standard length/width, no overstuff (full length UQ). I have my hammock (Eno double - don't shoot me!), tarp is a cheap Yukon Outfitters hex (I also have a larger Chill Gorilla but it's quite a bit larger), Amazon straps of some sort all in their own stuff/storage sacks. I'll try moving the hammock/tarp/straps to the other outside pocket - that should free up a good bit of space inside. Those side pockets are quite large and should hold all of those items. My cook kit and chair are in the other one.

Coming from an ILBE mil-surp pack, I'm having to learn all over again how to pack! I do love the weight savings, however.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast