Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Making sure my Hammock, Insulation kit, and clothes that need to remain dry are the only things going into the inside of my pack did the trick for me.

I also went with an outside food canister instead of having to cram my food on top of everything else inside. The rest pretty much goes into outside mesh pockets where it can be accessed w/o opening up the main pack body until I can at least get a tarp up.

Suspension, tarp, wind shirt, rain pants, water filter, anything I need to get to fast, and doesn't need to stay too dry goes on the outside. Right now I can get the above inside or somewhere outside with a 14L pack.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Bandit TQ Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by joemomma View Post
    Thanks guys, I'll play around with it some more. The quilts are standard length/width, no overstuff (full length UQ). I have my hammock (Eno double - don't shoot me!), tarp is a cheap Yukon Outfitters hex (I also have a larger Chill Gorilla but it's quite a bit larger), Amazon straps of some sort all in their own stuff/storage sacks. I'll try moving the hammock/tarp/straps to the other outside pocket - that should free up a good bit of space inside. Those side pockets are quite large and should hold all of those items. My cook kit and chair are in the other one.

Coming from an ILBE mil-surp pack, I'm having to learn all over again how to pack! I do love the weight savings, however.
    Careful about sticking that hammock on the outside! Only things that you are fine with getting wet should be out there.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Yukon/ChillGorilla
    Insulation
    Quilts or MSS
    Suspension
    Straps
    Good point about the hammock. It's fairly small, I should be able to cram it in there somewhere still.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair(s)
    Tarp
    SLD & Mtn. Fly
    Insulation
    HG 0,20,40 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & webbing
    Was going through the same analysis today myself. It’s easy when it’s warm but another animal altogether when it’s cold. Looks like I’m going to luck out and have relatively warm weather this weekend and suddenly it got much easier. Even though my quilts are HG econs the 20 degree varieties fit much easier than the zero and sleeping bag I’d originally planned. That said, I do need to perfect my cold weather approach. It does seem that simply ditching the stuff sacks helped some. (But it irritates my OCD!)

I’m old school and my frame pack doesn’t have external mesh pockets for stuff. I do have a ULA pack that my hiking buddy is borrowing. It packed really well in comparison. I have lots to learn / refine.
    The deep mystery gives rise to the spirits -Charc

Always strive to be the best but never believe you are - Juan Manuel Fangio

Hammock
    ENO JungleNest/WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Ember 2/EE Convert
    Suspension
    Orange Whoopies
    I pack my hammock and tarp in the outer pocket of my pack. Everything else goes in the main roll top portion. The last thing in for me are my quilts. I don’t use stuff sacks and can tuck them into every little nook and cranny available.
    Tree Rhino
    YouTube Channel-------------Website
    Twitter------Instagram------Facebook
    not all those who wander are lost - J.R.R. Tolkien
    an optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet superfly
    Insulation
    JRB and HG
    Suspension
    Dutch straps/clips
    I am currently using a Mountainsmith Scream 55 and the ZPacks pack liner. JRB 3 season quilts and everything that I want to stay dry goes in the liner. I then push all that down and get all the air out and quickly
    roll up the pack liner. It basically a giant stuff sack. Anyway then I put the rest of my crap on top of that. cook kit, gas can, ditty bag etc and seem to have plenty of room. I have yet to use the additional space of the roll top
    on the pack. Keep playing with it and use your external pockets on the pack. I carry my tarp in one of the external side pockets. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Another thing that works well is using just one stuff sack. Put the UQ in that, then pack the TQ loose around it to fill the bottom of the pack. That lets you get some "control" of all that down. Once it's in a stuff sack, that's it. But loose in a pack they kind of do whatever they want.

Or get a big 40-50L drybag or pack liner. Put both quilts in there, squeeze out the air (even kneel on it), then stuff in the pack. Make sure it doesn't "inflate" while packing
    I've done both. My sleeping bag (used as a TQ) is in compression stuff sack and then I pack my UQ around it in the bottom of the pack. Then I put my deflated pillow over it as a barrier between the quilts and the rest of the stuff in my pack.

When I need my larger/heavier/warmer sleeping bag, I cram that into a dry bag with my UQ and lash it to the outside/bottom of my pack. The hammock is relatively small and is usually tucked in my pack next to my cook kit as they are about the same size and makes a good layer in the pack. If I have no worries about rain and I need the room in the pack, I'll also clip the hammock to the outside of my pack with a couple of small clips to the trekking pole loops on my pack.

- Clyde

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    June Bugs
    [QUOTE=Bobonli;2039804]That’s a 68 liter pack, right?

The main compartment is only 45L. That means if you like to have all your gear IN the pack you are going to need smaller gear or higher fill down quilts to stuff inside.

I was sucked into the Circuit hype and bought one. It's my least favorite pack that I own. The ends of the straps are too short and they are thin enough to constantly work their way out the buckles when loosened to take them off. Meanwhile the straps for the roll top on the sides and Y strap on top are ridiculously long.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    No reason you can’t get it to fit. I used 20* Econ quilts for a few seasons and got them in a 55 liter Arc Blast (and used the same load out with my prior Ohm v2)... along with down jacket and pants, extra layers, a chair, cook kit, food, hats, tarp etc

No stuff sacks for me. Quilts go in nylofume.

Jam it in good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MikekiM; 12-19-2020 at 12:26.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have no tips to add to the great advice given already, so I'll just offer some encouragement. I've had my circuit for many years and I love it. It seems to offer me the best combo of size, weight, fit, and carrying capacity. I may have to use a compression sack or two for 0- degree quilts. 20- degrees quilts need to just be crammed down in my trash compactor liner, and Summer gear does not need to be compressed at all. Don't worry about compressing-- just get your quilts out as soon as you arrive and set up camp to allow time for then to loft back up. I will give the quilts a vigorous shaking before I install them to encourage lofting.

I keep looking at the arc haul which is the same size as the circuit but a pound lighter. However, the circuit fits so well and carries loads so well i just stay with that. I more than doubled my water carry up a hill for a dry camp last weekend and couldn't feel any difference even though it brought the pack weight over 30 pounds.

Lastly, it's ok if the pack is full as long as it closes well enough that everything stays dry that needs to stay dry and nothing falls out. Just keep playing with it and thinking of different scenarios in which you'll be using it. Think outside the box (pack)! --LOL for example, I always carry my tarp outside to keep the inside dry and for easy, quick, and dry set- up in rain, but it may end up in the big pocket, side pocket, or even strapped on top as needed.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12