Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    HG incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images

Gear hammock.

I was just poking around DH web site and I seen a gear hammock. It looks like the perfect answer for having gear on the ground. Site says it only weighs 2.8 oz I was wondering if anyone has any exsperence with these ?

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Had a cheapie one from Amazon. Worked ok, but ultimately didn't see the need.

All my stuff was in the pack at some point. Most of the stuff is out of it when I set up camp. I think the only thing in my pack at night is stuff sacks, clothes bag, camp saw and whatever is in the hip belt pockets. Food bag is hung up or in a bear locker. Everything else is in the hammock.

I'll either clip the pack on the end of the hammock, leave it on the ground or set it in my camp chair.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Bandit TQ Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I got an ENO one when I got my first ENO hammock, think mainly I was nervous about having my pack outside as I transitioned from a tent and I wanted a place to put stuff inside the bugnet. Now I use a RR so big inside pockets solve that and I just bring a thin sheet of plastic that all my stuff exploded onto when I get to camp. When I am hitting the hammock everything is back in the backpack and that has worked perfectly.

When using the sling I found it was awkward to get at stuff, a long of grabbing without seeing.

I don't have that specific one, but I do have a DIY gear hammock, though not hung under or beside the hammock. Mine is suspended from the ridgeline near the foot end of the hammock. Some pics of it can be found over on my Instagram page (links below) and I think it shows up in a video or two as well. I like it on the ridgeline where it's off the ground and under the tarp. My pack stays there most nights, along with shoes and anything else I need close at hand. Clisbyclark, with whom I hiked the BMT recently, also uses a gear hammock. He slings it adjacent to his hammock.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_ayCAxFE-J/

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_xy11GFEWS/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGkAgInFfhM/
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    Doors for sure
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Usualy helps
    I have one from SLD that zips shut (even though I rarely sip it shut). Even as weight conscious as I am, I usually have it with me unless I am bringing a chair. I just like having everything that isn't in my hammock within reach before I get out (clothes I hike in, shoes, pack, etc.).

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    I have one. Unless I am camping in the same spot for a few days, I don’t use it. I find my pack hanging on the ridge line to be a great spot to keep stuff, although I do need to get out of the hammock to do it.

I would check out the gear sling if your needs are smaller. I do like these - hang on the ridgeline, easy storage and access to items while in the hammock.

If I line my gear hammock with a blanket, my dog loves it

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    I was just recently gifted a gear hammock. Been playing w/ it to see if it works for us.
    First thing I have to change is the attachment lines, they are only long enough to hang from the hammock suspension. I'd like to be able to suspend it from the same two trees (or in our case, two attachment points) and have it between, and a bit below, us when hanging double off the same point. It would probably work great when its both of us.
    Hanging solo I'd just use a smaller ridgeline gear sling that I have. That, a ridgeline organizer, and a dry bag/ or pack hanging from the suspension pretty much keeps my stuff off the ground.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    I've toyed with using a gear hammock/sling & have even purchased companion Sidecars to go with my Chameleon hammocks, but so far, I have had no reason to use one. By the time I'm ready to call it a day, all my stuff is stowed for the night in my pack & all my food & kitchen stuff is in the bear bag. For the few things I may need during the night, I keep them in my hammock's peak shelf, in the ridge line organizer or tethered to the ridge line.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, Eldorado
    Tarp
    Superfly, Hanger12
    Insulation
    Wooki, Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have one that I made. Really just wanted to see what it's all about, and I like making things. I made it big enough to hold my largest pack. I've not used it as an actual gear sling on a campout (I just toggle my pack to my hammock suspension to keep it off the ground), but I have used it as a hammock chair. It works great for that. lightweight, packs tiny, and I can sit comfortably anywhere I have two trees spaced about about five feet apart.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I made one as a DIY - the decision is, do you want it waterproof so it can “stand alone” outside your hammock/tarp or will it be under the tarp. It is nice to not have to keep bending over, pulling things out, stuffing things in a backpack or dry bag. I figured, if I pulled something out, I’d use it again. So once something comes out (pack or dry bag) it goes into the gear hammock.

These days, instead of a monster gear holder, I use a small gear hammock I got from Nama. I added an extension to my hammock ridgeline so there was enough extra to tie two Alpine loops the appropriate distance apart. It would be easy enough to just put corded prusiks on the line and slide them where you want the gear hammock.

Could I do without it - absolutely. But, if I’m kayaking, weight/bulk are not so much an issue. Again, it’s nice to be able to just walk up to it and pull out the toys/clothing I want.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast