Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon

New to Forum (Intro)

Hello all, my name is Brian. I started using a hammock, (Trek Light, Double) 7 years ago and used it for about month and a half every weekend. I really enjoyed it and wanted to continue but life through a wrench in my planes. I have continued to watch YouTube about hammocking over the years. I am now trying to figure out which hammock is the one for me. I have narrowed it down, by my sleeping pattern to: Dutchware, Chameleon and Dream, Sparrow. When I was using my hammock I was living in South Florida so I am also trying to figure out which underquilt temp. rating to get. I will be hanging in Ohio and anywhere else I can find. With all that said, I know watching is not doing, so I do not really know much. When I was using my hammock it was in a plywood shack so no tarp and just eye hooks installed in the wall. I had no one around me that had any knowledge of hammocking and No one that I know hammocks. I have read and will be reading again, The Ultimate Hang book and watched (Shug). I did make and installed a ridge line on my hammock and it did help. I would like any advice.
    Last edited by [email protected]; 12-06-2020 at 13:44.

Hammock
    To many
    Tarp
    To many
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 + oth
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Images
    Welcome Brian. You have come to a good place to gain knowledge. Sounds like your starting with the right things for research but as you said, doing gives you the best knowledge. I'll give you my 2˘ as to my personal opinion from my experience. Gathered end hammocks are mostly the same design with differences being, material & length. Without your weight & hight it's hard to reccomend the length part & material is personal preference. The 2 you mentioned seem to have a good following but I own neither. To me the underquilt is the most important part aside the suspension.
    First, I don't hike. I motorcycle camp so weight is no issue. There is 2 ways to go. Cheap & experiment or expensive & be happy or sad you spent a lot & not satisfied. One of my first purchases after the hammock set up was a Hammock Gear 20° incubator. It works on about all GE hammocks. Never regretted it. If hot, vent it. If cold, supplement it.
    Suspensions vary as to preference. I've tried most all & use cinch buckles for simplicity & ease of adjustment. Enjoy your endeavour.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Most of my hammock camping is in Florida...I started with a 40F Phoenix (3/4 length UQ) with a 40F Burrow. Knowing that it does get cold here, I also got a 20F set during an HG sale. Recently picked up a 20F Incubator (full length UQ) as well.

I think the prevailing advice for 3 season and on a budget: go with a 20F set. You can vent the UQ if it's too warm, and kick off the TQ as well.

Are you a backpacker or a car camper? That will factor in to the rest of the gear.

Keep an eye on the meetups in your area...you might get lucky and get to check out gear up close before buying. Even if you buy something from your list and it doesn't work out, those vendors sell well on the used gear forum here.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Thanks Oldbiker and FLTurtle

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Next question, if you get a 20° UQ do you also match it with a 20° TQ? Those that winter hang in Ohio and Michigan what degree UQ do you use?

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    I think that's what most people do. However, I've seen folks that go 10 degrees (or more) warmer with their UQ over their TQ (ex, 20F UQ/30F TQ). You can always put on more clothes, but you can't get more insulation under you.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Sometimes when overnight temperatures are in mid twenty’s, a zero* underquilt and topquilt are great for me.
    And below twenty* I’ve stacked both a zero* and a 20* set underquilts and topquilts.
    This helps make up for my—Out to lunch capabilities
    Your mileage may vary

Worst that can happen is to break a sweat and be cold rest of night

Good luck

Hammock
    netless mostly...
    Tarp
    DW Winter, Hex 12
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incu E20
    Suspension
    Whoopie-Spider
    There is a lot to say about sticking with netless hammocks for a bit because you can try out all kinds of fabrics and configurations on the cheap (even cheaper with some rudimentary sewing). Bottom entry bugnets are functional and $50 or less if needed. Once you have your preferences dialed in you can go all out on a fancy rig w/o the risk or more likely focus on a good quilt set which, in the long run, is probably more important anyway.

Hi Brian! I hope you enjoy it here! I also came here for advice and they helped me, I think they will help you too! Good luck with your hobby !! All the best to you)

• + New Posts