Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hanging in an old caravan

I’m working on a farm for next 6 months. I have a hammock that I haven’t event tried hanging in yet (still waiting on the straps I ordered to make it to NZ!)

Well, I’m living on the farm in an old caravan here. Space is relatively cramped, and so I thought a using my hammock would be a great way to 1) actually try it out and 2) make more space (I could take the bed out and just unhook the hammock in the morning.

In most indoors situations a bolt into the wall seems fine. However I’m not really sure how I can know which parts of the caravan are strong enough to take an eyelet bolt + load of my weight. Would anyone have some suggestions here? A hammock stand would negate any space saving advantage..

Secondly, my plan is to make some Amstel continuous loops and use a Beckett hitch for camping, but I don’t need to wear out my lightweight gear + my straps and amsteel are still a few weeks away. What would be the simplest method of gathering the end here and suspending it (I’m reading through the sticky on this as well)?

Finally, if I decide to keep sleeping this way I’ll make another hammock out of less lightweight material, as my understanding is UV exposure wears it faster + I expect the fabric to be less comfortable than ideal. How do you know if the material at the fabric store (there’s often stuff on clearance) or second hand store (local one has loads of sheets of fabric - old curtains and table cloths I guess) is going to be sufficient?

Thanks!

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Oreocereus - about this “wearing out” concern … I understand. You’ve invested money. You waited days for delivery. You don’t want to have to replace these things. But really, imagine all the adventures you’d be on before the gear would wear out. And wearing out is what things do. Just look at my body. Sheeesch - I’ve kept it out of UV, etc. Still ….

Now I take a cheapie Amazon hammock with me when I go out of the country, but that’s more because I’m concerned about loss or theft - not wear. In the cost-of-things department, the suspension straps and Amsteel are the least expensive components - compared to Nylon wares like tarps, Quilts, under quilt protectors, collapsible poles, etc.

One epiphany I had a year or so ago is, with a car, I don’t have to find two trees or two “other” supports for the hammock. I can use one tree/support and the luggage rack on the Jeep.

But you are wise to consider what the original purpose of some support was you intend to eyebolt into. Take a wall stud for example. It’s designed to take a compression force pushing down on the 2 x 4. It was not placed to take a shear force pulling it out from the wall. That doesn’t mean it won’t work for that. Many people posting here have screwed anchors into their walls in order to hang indoors. Just be careful.

And note when you think of the “load of my weight” because, depending upon your hang angle, the pull force on your anchor could easily be 30% more (300 lbs pull for a 200 lbs weight) depending upon your angle.

If your caravan is not isolated - like if in a barn, or near one tree - you might be able use the caravan for one attachment point and have the hammock outside (with a tarp).

I was going to suggest one of many cheap “online” hammocks rather than worry about DIY second hand store fabrics. But by far, it seems the most important dimension for comfortable sleep is a length around 11 ft. And most cheap online hammock turn out far less (8 or 9 ft) than that.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 12-06-2020 at 13:12.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

I could indeed hang outside - it is summer here after all. But it does get cool, and I may end up staying on over winter. I don’t currently have a hammock tarp as well, which is one reason I wanted to try indoors before investing more money there.

In fact the amsteel and straps were the most expensive part of this for me! I bought someone’s 4yds of ripstop for the hammock (they never got round to making their own hammock so sold it to me for 30-40% cheaper), and I already have two quilts so will be able to rig one as an under quilt to try things out!

But, the question about using other competents in the channel and for the suspension was also because the amsteel cord and straps are being sent here from overseas, so shipping will still be a while. Estimate says a couple of weeks from now, but the pandemic has seen at least one parcel I had take an extra two months(!). So it was partially a question of “what could I use to get hanging *now*” in anticipation.

Good point re wear though.

I guess my main concern, really, is about identifying a safe point to put an eyelet bolt in. It’s not really the sort of thing I have a great understanding of. The caravan must be 30+ years old and is basically a tin box - so I’m ware that none of it may be suitable to hang from!

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Last edited by Two Tents; 12-05-2020 at 21:50.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You may consider some wall hangers.....https://dutchwaregear.com/product/ad...e-wall-anchor/
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    To many
    Tarp
    To many
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 + oth
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Images
    In early 80's 2 buddies & I owned a dive shop. The wife of one of them threw him out. He bought a old long wheel base ford economies van. Gutted the inside & installed a hammock by drilling eye bolt holes & sealing with rubber washers. He lived in it for 3 months before she let him come home. He cooked & showered in the shop.

Images
    I don't know about New Zealand, but most recreational vehicles (what we call caravans in the U.S.) are shoddily built of cheap materials.Many are framed with small bits of wood stapled (!) together and covered with aluminum or something else. I wouldn't try to fasten a hammock to such a wall. I've thought about how to safely hang a hammock in our little old motorhome but it would take some major engineering (ours has a fiberglass shell). Good luck! You could get plastic sheeting for a tarp to hang outside- cheap way to get started.

Hammock
    The one I happen to be in
    Tarp
    Hennessy monsoon
    Insulation
    Thermarest/down
    Suspension
    Trees and rope.
    Images
    This sounds like a great idea, provided it is carried out properly.

CougerMeat had some great insights as far as setting up for an outside hang and especially his advice on hang angle.
    Of course only the engineer who designed it knows of the structural properties of your caravan, so therefore any advice given here should be weighed carefully before being carried out.

That being said- I personally would consider drilling a 1/2" hole (that's 13mm to you) in opposing walls as far up towards the ceiling as possible. These holes should go all the way through to the outside, allowing you to insert a threaded eye bolt and putting a big *** washer on the outside followed by a nylon lock nut. You should/must put some silicone around the bolt and washer before putting the nut on in order to keep any and all water out, and don't put any weight on it for at least 24 hours (I never said it would be pretty!).
    I would get eye bolts with enough thread to allow a washer and nut to also be on the inside.
    The location/ distance of these holes/ eye bolts needs to be determined by you to allow a proper hang.
    Just my 2 cents (that's 1.55 pence to you).
    I hang, therefore I am

You might consider instead of say just attaching two eye bolts, attaching a long pole or 2x4. The idea is that the ends of a hammock want to pull sideways towards each other, while many attachment points are better suited to up and down forces. The pole or 2x4 takes the sideways forces and then the attachment points only have to take the up and down forces of hanging the 2x4.

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    You may consider some wall hangers.....https://dutchwaregear.com/product/ad...e-wall-anchor/
    Shug
    Looks cool (but pricey) - think my main issue is safely securing something to the interior!

Quote Originally Posted by slugbait View Post
    I don't know about New Zealand, but most recreational vehicles (what we call caravans in the U.S.) are shoddily built of cheap materials.Many are framed with small bits of wood stapled (!) together and covered with aluminum or something else. I wouldn't try to fasten a hammock to such a wall. I've thought about how to safely hang a hammock in our little old motorhome but it would take some major engineering (ours has a fiberglass shell). Good luck! You could get plastic sheeting for a tarp to hang outside- cheap way to get started.
    We call little living units on wheels without a motor a caravan - it must be towed. I've referred to caravans before and had people think I mean RV or campervan (which to me is a living unit with a cab up the front and an engine). Does it have a looser definition in the states?

Generally older caravans here were built like bomb shelters, but this one seems more questionable..

Quote Originally Posted by DrPhun View Post
    You might consider instead of say just attaching two eye bolts, attaching a long pole or 2x4. The idea is that the ends of a hammock want to pull sideways towards each other, while many attachment points are better suited to up and down forces. The pole or 2x4 takes the sideways forces and then the attachment points only have to take the up and down forces of hanging the 2x4.
    So, to clarify, is the idea to have a beam or bar running across the whole interior, bolted to the walls, then attach the hammock to the bar?So, to clarify, is the idea to have a beam or bar running across the whole interior, bolted to the walls, then attach the hammock to the bar?

Quote Originally Posted by mich1jon View Post
    That being said- I personally would consider drilling a 1/2" hole (that's 13mm to you) in opposing walls as far up towards the ceiling as possible. These holes should go all the way through to the outside, allowing you to insert a threaded eye bolt and putting a big *** washer on the outside followed by a nylon lock nut. You should/must put some silicone around the bolt and washer before putting the nut on in order to keep any and all water out, and don't put any weight on it for at least 24 hours (I never said it would be pretty!).
    I would get eye bolts with enough thread to allow a washer and nut to also be on the inside.
    The location/ distance of these holes/ eye bolts needs to be determined by you to allow a proper hang.
    Just my 2 cents (that's 1.55 pence to you).
    You nearly converted the units correctly, but we haven't used pence since 1967 The plain ol' (New Zealand) dollar now.
    That's an interesting idea. Any ideas on safely attaching to the interior?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast