BBXLC / sparrow
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    wooki/burrow/
    Suspension
    straps

bugnet over face: BBXLC vs. sparrow

sorry to keep bugging you all with these very specific questions regarding the purchase of this one hammock, but all of you are the BEST source of very specific information and minutiae on hammock models.

if you've been in both a BBXLC and a sparrow, this question is for you: if one of the big selling points of the BBXLC for me is how high the bugnet is off of my face, do you think the sparrow's bugnet will also be high enough?

i have pored over a bazillion pages of forums and specs and it looks to me like the sparrow has a LOT of room in that bugnet, but i can't quite tell if the part over my face (close to the zipper) will be as high as it is on the BBXLC. in cool weather i'm going to be restricted to an angle similar to the BBXLC because i intend to keep using my wooki.

one day my elderly BBXLC will fail completely and i will buy another one, but in the meantime i think it would be cool to have something a little different for a second hammock so i'm looking seriously at the sparrow. if in your august opinions you believe that bugnet will be high enough above my face near the zipper, that may be the deciding factor.

thank you for your many, many compiled hammock opinions. i learn so much here.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    I don't have a DH Sparrow, but it appears it uses the conventional "tie outs on the body" style that other hammocks have.

In my Dutchware Half Zipped (older asym model), the bugnet is closer to my face but it's not literally on my face. I don't even use the tieout. I used to...then I got tired of it being in the way. In the Eldorado (XLC minus the shelf), I find that I have to use the tieout.

Right now, the Half Zipped is my goto, the Eldorado is a loaner...but I finally pulled the trigger on a symmetrical Chameleon.

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    I never understood the bugnet in the face concerns. I have mostly wide hammocks and I’ve never, not one time, had this problem. I don’t ever use a tie out, just never saw a need.

I prefer no net when at all possible, but they never bother me while sleeping. Maybe it’s the hammocks I have or how I lay, but it’s never been an issue for me.

Does the net in your current hammock get on your face?

Hammock
    BBXLC / sparrow
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    wooki/burrow/
    Suspension
    straps
    no, the net on my current BBXLC is just fine.

i would not like any hammock on which it sits lower, and i am therefore wondering how the bugnet on the sparrow sits in comparison to the BBXLC. i am reasonably certain that someone out there has been in both and can tell me how these two hammocks compare with regard to the height of the bugnet over the face.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Unless you switch from right-left-right-left lay during the night, get a hammock with asym net or top cover. Reduces netting and takes up some slack in the hammock body.

Chameleon with asym is great if you don't know for sure or if want a loaner for a noob friend who's just getting into this stuff. Very easy to flip the net/cover to accommodate either direction.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Hammock Tent/SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tarptent/Thunderfl
    Insulation
    EE
    Suspension
    Kevlar/B. Hitch
    Try a Simply Light Designs Trail Lair. The net is way higher than the XLC I tried. I felt claustrophobic in it comparatively.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Here's a video showing the available headroom in the symmetrical Sparrow.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAdskGbRk3s

Here's a video showing the headroom in an asym Sparrow.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjEIZtmqZZI

As you can see there is plenty of room and the netting is plenty high off your face.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    No, you won't get the same clearance in a Sparrow as you do in an XLC if your head is right next to the zipper. The Sparrow's net is cut out of a single piece of netting, and the tie-outs are on the hammock, creating a \/ shape next to your head. The XLC's net has an extra strip of netting sewn to the sides, and the tie-outs are on the upper part of the netting, creating a \_/ shape next to your head. This gives you more room for your head. I prefer this design and have always looked for other hammocks with tie-outs not at the hammock sides, but haven't found any in the same league as Warbonnet.

• + New Posts