Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Blackbird XLC with a DD 12x12ft tarp and Tensa 4

All,

Total hammock newb trying to see if this setup would work. I have a Blackbird XLC that I am trying to pair with a large tarp (for motocamping; ideally I'd have my bike under it too). I also am travelling many places that will not have trees, so I am looking to get a portable hammock stand I can fit on my bike. Will this combo work?

I contacted DD hammocks (tarp) and Warbonnet but neither can confirm. I am also considering the 13x10 Superfly, but really was looking for more coverage/versatility of a square tarp

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Don't have a Tensa 4, but from what I understand as-is it can handle an 11' tarp.

However, Google: https://www.tensaoutdoor.com/product...ns-for-tensa4/

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    JacksRBetr 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB 20deg set
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    It works, but you will need the tarp extensions FLTurtle linked toWBXLCTENSA.jpg This is my car camping rig, a WBBBXLC on a Tensa4 stand with a JRB 12 X 10 Tarp. Never parked a bike under there, but I have put half + of a picnic table with attached bench under the without moving the hammock.

I also use a single springpole which opens it waaaaay up and holds it off the hammock in high winds

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Mine works with Warbonnets and 11' tarps.
    Check my pictures with several different set-up if you want too......https://flic.kr/s/aHsmqvEMBd

Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    The way that works best for me with big tarps and a tensa stand is i use rei aluminum telescopic tarp poles for my tarp. So my hammock and stand are independent of my tarp set up. Then you can set your DD tarp in any configuration that you want

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I’m guessing that for your blackbird and motorcycle you don’t need long as much as you need wide. Also, the Tensa4 may be challenging for a long tarp. Because of that, you might look at Dutchware’s extra wide tarps. Specifically, he has a “double wide” for a one person and their significant other - in your case, the motorcycle

Because you won’t be carrying the weight on your back, you might look at some portable Turtle Dog stand options too.

The decision is - do you invest in additional gear to “hang” where their aren’t trees, or do you just set up your tarp with some collapsible poles (REI) and put a ground sheet and pad down under it. Though I imagine myself in a Tensa4 for outside the house when at home, when kayak camping, it would be less fuss to just carry an extra small solo tent for the few times I don’t have trees.

If you know you will often be without trees and want the hammock experience - that’s a different equation.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltfly View Post
    The way that works best for me with big tarps and a tensa stand is i use rei aluminum telescopic tarp poles for my tarp. So my hammock and stand are independent of my tarp set up. Then you can set your DD tarp in any configuration that you want

Which size poles? I got 2 of the 6 foot ones

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Mine works with Warbonnets and 11' tarps.
    Check my pictures with several different set-up if you want too......https://flic.kr/s/aHsmqvEMBd

Shug
    Great set ups, thank you so much. Although it kind of deters me because it seems like a lot of set up to make/break camp considering I'm going to be moving al ot

Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    I’m guessing that for your blackbird and motorcycle you don’t need long as much as you need wide. Also, the Tensa4 may be challenging for a long tarp. Because of that, you might look at Dutchware’s extra wide tarps. Specifically, he has a “double wide” for a one person and their significant other - in your case, the motorcycle

Because you won’t be carrying the weight on your back, you might look at some portable Turtle Dog stand options too.

The decision is - do you invest in additional gear to “hang” where their aren’t trees, or do you just set up your tarp with some collapsible poles (REI) and put a ground sheet and pad down under it. Though I imagine myself in a Tensa4 for outside the house when at home, when kayak camping, it would be less fuss to just carry an extra small solo tent for the few times I don’t have trees.

If you know you will often be without trees and want the hammock experience - that’s a different equation.
    Thank you so much for the reply. Do you know of any good turtle dog stand builds? I just looked it up and it doesn't seem like anyone is commercially making them, and the ones I see are all built with long pieces which is restrictive for me. Agreed I have been considering just using my hammock as a ground bivy in the exact manner you described, or bringing my backpacking tent. Probably leaning towards that

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanstrange View Post
    Which size poles? I got 2 of the 6 foot ones
    6’ would work fine. Just practice your setup and takedown procedure. Step off your pole lengths, make tieouts with loops on the ends etc. Anything to help speed up the process. It’s worth it to me to have a comfortable sleep. It just seems to jack up the day when ya don’t get good rest. Lately I’ve been using two tensa solo poles also. Then you can hook your big tarp right to the solo pole. Which streamlines things a bit

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast