11' Dutch Netless Wide
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    UCR/Marlin Spike

Rectangle vs "with doors"

So I am in the market for a new tarp. I previously had a Dutch Xenon Rectangle tarp and really liked it (it was stolen, along with all of our hammock gear). I only ever pitched it in the standard A frame. I have been interested in a tarp with doors, but am pretty new to all this.

I assume the "winter" tarps or tarps that specifically mention doors are cut differently. It wouldn't work as well to just pitch the rectangle tarp essentially like a hex with doors, correct? The "doors" wouldn't be as big, and in turn lead to pitching the tarp more narrow.

This is where I'm at:
    Dutch Rectangle - smaller "doors", more narrow pitch - $110, extra $20 for pullouts
    Dutch Wide Rectangle - "doors" still not as big as actual doors? - $145, extra $20 for pullouts
    Dutch Winter Tarp - Actual doors - $140, extra $20 for pullouts
    Warbonnet Superfly - read great things about this one, very versatile, what color would be closest to Dutch's Dark Olive? - $135, pullouts standard

Any of these is probably more tarp than I need, seeing as we mostly car camp at a state park, but I would like to do some hike-in camping as well as some colder temp camping. I also like to tinker and try new things so all the variations would be nice. I know I just missed all the sales, but I won't be buying until after Christmas anyway.

Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Superfly is a great tarp.
    I don't always use them but doors are nice when you need them.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Senior Member Rusty Shackelford's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet
    Insulation
    Wooki, DB
    Suspension
    UCR, Dynaweave
    I actually really like the "beak" style partial doors by warbonnet, have you considered a Mountain or Thunderfly instead of the superfly? I have a Superfly and a Minifly and love them both but I'll pack the Minifly every time unless I'm expecting ugly weather.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by HazeRVA View Post
    Warbonnet Superfly - read great things about this one, very versatile, what color would be closest to Dutch's Dark Olive? - $135, pullouts standard
    I'd say the dark foliage green. It's got more olive green compared to the evergreen. I would search the forums for photos though. My Superfly is the silpoly evergreen model.

2020-06-26_08-09-23_185 (2).jpg

Hammock
    Dream hammock Raven
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    HG incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    I would say to get one with doors. They weigh more but you are protected from pretty much all weather. Earlier this summer I was on a trip that the wind was so bad it was almost impossible to stay out in it. Once I got my door shut on my hg journey I barely noticed the wind at all

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    I got a 11’ Superfly recently - love it. I have another tarp with doors that is significantly heavier so I knew that I wanted doors. The nice thing about the doors is that you can just connect them with shock cord (I have that with some mitten hooks) and you’ve got a nice hex. They are so indispensable in windy or windy/rain weather.

Last summer I was camping on the beach in perfect weather maybe 15 feet from the surf. In the middle of the night when the tide was fully in, that super moist, super cool, constantly blowing wind off the surf had me about freeze-dried until I shut the doors. Goes to show, you never know when you may need them and when you do it takes 20 seconds to close them.

I went for what they call brown olive I think - beautiful in both shade and sun. I like silpoly, so light that it seems to flutter in the breeze.

BBDF2A42-25AC-430E-B12D-D784D961FFD3.jpg

Good luck with your purchase.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    my 12ft Wilderness Logics Bullfrog was essentially a rectangular tarp that was big enough that you could close in the ends like doors.

but yes, a tarp designed to have doors is cut so that the doors meet in the center and the bottom edges are even with the rest of the tarp when closed. some doors are designed big enough to overlap or when they meet in the middle, they extended out to a point which is actually better in the wind.

in the summertime I will usually open up my winter tarp doors as if is a giant rectangle tarp. I feel like it's kind of a waste to tie the doors back when they can serve as part of the roof

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    11' Dutch Netless Wide
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    UCR/Marlin Spike
    Thanks for all the replies guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Shackelford View Post
    I actually really like the "beak" style partial doors by warbonnet, have you considered a Mountain or Thunderfly instead of the superfly? I have a Superfly and a Minifly and love them both but I'll pack the Minifly every time unless I'm expecting ugly weather.
    For this one I definitely want full doors. Maybe down the line I will check out either the Mini or Thunderfly. A buddy of mine is getting into hammock camping and has already talked about doing a kayak fishing/camping trip. A smaller tarp would be nice then, but we'll see if it ever happens haha.

Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    I'd say the dark foliage green. It's got more olive green compared to the evergreen. I would search the forums for photos though. My Superfly is the silpoly evergreen model.

2020-06-26_08-09-23_185 (2).jpg
    Ooooh, I actually really like that Evergreen. Thanks for the pic!

Hammock
    11' Dutch Netless Wide
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    UCR/Marlin Spike
    Have some fabric samples on the way from Warbonnet! Wanna see the Dark Foliage green, Evergeen and Olive Brown in person.

Senior Member Rusty Shackelford's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet
    Insulation
    Wooki, DB
    Suspension
    UCR, Dynaweave
    Both of my tarps are brown and I like how they both look but the silpoly brown is definitely more olive than the silnylon.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast