Insulation
    GeerTop Underquilt
    Suspension
    Tree Strap

First time hanger ...

About to embark on my first winter hang in the Great Smokey Mountains this weekend! Have always enjoyed camping but sleeping on ground, even with inflatable mattress, just wasn't enjoyable! While searching, and viewing, YouTube videos about winter camping came upon this weirdly entertaining and informative fellow and it sparked my venture into hammock camping. This fellow is none other than Shug! Shug I can't thank you enough providing me with hours and hours of informative, and entertaining, content!

As a result I've ventured into hammock camping with a vengeance! Now the gear I purchased aren't what I would call "professional" grade but it's allowing me to enjoy and learn before I make major investment. As Shug does, I've setup my system in the backyard twice now, 37º and 27º nights, and my system kept me warm as a bug! For reference I was in long johns, long sleeve t-shirt, and hoody sweatshirt for both nights.

I have a Marmot 20º sleeping bag that I'm using as a top quilt for now, a 40º Geertop under quilt, made COSTCO under quilt to add to Geertop, double hammock, Free Soldier tarp. This setup I think will allow me to enjoy hanging down to 20º without being uncomfortable or risk freezing to death. I doubt I'll ever have a desire to camp/hang in temps below 20º ... Shug -40º is crazy!

For those have hung in the Smokies I would greatly appreciate any advice and your input!

Thanks,

Clarusmoof

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Whoooooo Buddy)))))
    You are going to have fun and learn a lot.
    Make sure you have a good clothing system for Winter in the Smokys as a lot your time will be spent out of the hammock.
    Embrace the hammock quest....
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Welcome !
    Good to see you doing some tests to see how low your gear will go - very useful when cold weather camping.
    The only advice on GSMNP is probably knowledge you already have - that you can’t hammock (or tent) along the AT. Well unless they have an exception still for Covid in which they temporarily allowed you to hammock. I took advantage of that this past spring and finished up the he northern half of the AT in the park (I really don’t like sleeping in shelters).
    Last edited by TallPaul; 12-02-2020 at 14:18.

Insulation
    GeerTop Underquilt
    Suspension
    Tree Strap
    Update on trip ... it didn't happen! Well should say it's been postponed til Dec 18th, due to my friends contracting COVID. He had to stay home and care for his boy during quarantine. I was going to go by myself but my friend was so bummed and was really looking forward to the trip that we postponed to a date he could go. I still would have gone but when I told my wife I would go this weekend and on the 18th I got "the" look that said I was mistaken and to pick on weekend!

This will give me some extra time to do some mods to my GeerTop UQ. It's using maybe 1/4" polyfill batting that works great to 40 degrees. I've been eyeing the UQ in ways to improve upon it's thermal qualities by adding down or more polyfill. Being that I don't have a sewing machine to properly sew in chambers I think I'm going to go with adding more polyfill batting. From the outside the UQ has stitching that looks like that are separate chambers but upon further inspection that's not the case. So I should be able open one narrow end and pull in the extra batting and have to use needle and thread to sew the end shut again. Any thoughts on the polyfill?
    geertop uq.jpg

Thanks

Clarusmoof

It was 20 a couple of mornings last week at lower elevations near the park, rain all day Friday and predicted rain and snow mix for Monday. A good time to postpone trip.

Insulation
    GeerTop Underquilt
    Suspension
    Tree Strap
    Yeah starting a fire would have been quite the challenge! Also got notification from park that the road leading to Elkmont Campsite and the trailhead we were going to start from were closed due to bridge repairs. Work should be done by the 18th. Wouldn't mind a bit of snow!

Insulation
    GeerTop Underquilt
    Suspension
    Tree Strap
    Ok created a DIY post but thought I would share here as well!

• + New Posts