Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet
    Insulation
    Wooki, DB
    Suspension
    UCR, Dynaweave
    Thank you all for the help and suggestions, below is a picture of some of the things I have made so far, I decided to go with 4.5" buries for the eye splices and 8" for the constrictor bury on the UCRs. The items pictured are two 4' dog bone extensions, a 6' UCR, and two 8" EVO loops. I also made a pair of 5" EVO loops for my XLC at an attempt to shorten up my total suspension length and am very pleased with how they work, they provide a ~2" loop on the end of my hammock instead of the 5" I had with the 8" loops. I also blew up the half turn knot I added to my UCR after the bury to show a bit better detail.

new.jpg

Hammock
    Wide Chameleon
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Shackelford View Post
    Thank you all for the help and suggestions, below is a picture of some of the things I have made so far, I decided to go with 4.5" buries for the eye splices

new.jpg
    I’ve hung a quite a few times with a dog bone with locked brummel eyelet with a 4.5” bury.

Keeping a close eye on the splice and no issues so far.

I like what you did using two different colors on the UCR! Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    My main point is about having fun, exchanging ideas freely, finding new ways to get things done.
    I often admit to guessing, and most of my “new” ideas end up in the dumper. This is true of most of everyone’s new ideas. But the courage to try new things is the only thing that separates us from early EARLY hunter gatherers.
    My main point is not trying to score debate points and not dump on others ideas, but to share ideas, even solutions that might not seem viable.
    hey Phantom, sorry if it sounded like "dumping", was not my intention, maybe i wrote too much in a hurry. let me add some background

when i started playing with ucr's, i was frustrated with the endless bury end required (especially given how much longer the dyneema i use requires, which i have described in another thread, long story short it's about 300mm or nearly a foot), so i thought of ways to mitigate that, and one of the ideas was exactly what you describe. i thought a lot about it and above are the reasons why i didn't continue with it. i took your initial post about the idea as a question "why not", and i answered it in earnest (so it was sharing of my thinking, not dumping. i typically share my thinking like this in the hope that a better idea can be arrived at in collaboration, not for scoring any points).

tpatter also makes an interesting point: i do agree, i strongly dislike handling line, especially under some tension, which is under 3mm or so, so this might be good enough reason to consider the franken-ucr, disregarding strength considerations, as long as sufficient strength is retained. which is why i suggested that, if anybody tries, they do destruction testing (please) so that we know.

thank you for sharing your thoughts, gedanken experiments (and sometimes real ones too) is one of the main reasons i keep coming back to this forum, and one of the main magic ingredients to this hammock community

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Nanok, I went out on a limb, and maybe reached too far. Our posts back and forth help us find solutions for hammock suspensions.
    Some of my weakness on subject of UCR is I’ve never used them to suspend my hammock.
    And some of my ideas are not clear without video.
    Testing with machines to destruction of suspensions gives knowledge, but sometimes machines exceed weights within full range of hammock use.
    I extend my apology to you and wish you a Merry Christmas.
    Your hammock and tarp rigging works for you.
    Using your suspensions in piney woods is living proof, your ideas are working.
    Nanok, keep a trucking, be glad to swap lies and drink coffee with you at hammock hangs.

Thanks for your hammock videos and pix

hey Phantom,

indeed, when it comes to knots and rigging and such, anything but the most basic stuff can benefit from diagrams and, in some weirder cases, a video can indeed help (like the guyline tensioning system i posted here a while ago, which everybody agreed made no sense without the 30second video), it is wonderful that we have the technology to share ideas like this these days, and i think it shows how effective that is, if you look at how quickly how many things were explored regarding hammock camping and rigging, in the past mere decade. in fact, i have many ideas which i have already tested and am confident are useful, which i delay to post just because i can't get around to making proper diagrams and videos where needed (shame on me).

testing to destruction is however necessary: if we can't blow **** up, can we at least break stuff, please?

apology not "accepted", as definitely not needed, instead, thank you for sharing your ideas; hopefully, my questionable command of your native language, combined with my sometimes too strong opinions, doesn't make me come across as too much of an utility load bearing herbivorous stubborn creature (and if it does, apologies in advance and hopefully keep in mind offence was surely not intended)

the swapping of stories-somewhat-magnified-for-artistic-effect-of-course over fire and going to a hang to meet many of you here would be quite a wonderful gift, let's hope it will be possible some day, meanwhile stay safe, and keep sharing your ideas (and challenging mine and others)

and i'll be completely honest: my rigging, ideas etc working fine for me gives me little satisfaction, what i value most is being able to share them and improve them through constructive discussion, and the ultimate is seeing others use the ideas, enjoy and criticise, and modify them to make them suit new needs and further ideas.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123