Guidance Question on Tree Huggers Plus Whoopie Sling Suspension

I am about a year and a half into hammock camping and about thirty nights in my hammock. It is now my preferred method when on the trail and the tent is reserved for trips where trees are not readily available. I have one issue that I have not worked out, but think I have the answer to the problem and would like some guidance. I spent some time perusing the previous posts (including the sticky threads and videos) and did not see an exact answer to my same question, but if the question has already been answered, feel free to point me there. I have the Ultimate Hang 2 and read it before purchasing my setup and I have revisited it as well.

I have five foot long 1.5" tree hugger straps with sewn-on dutch clips.
    I have whoopie slings from Dutch with whoopie hooks on the adjustable end.

My attachments have been per the diagram on Dutch's page (https://dutchwaregear.com/product/whoopie-hooks/):
    I use the whoopie hooks to attach the adjustable end to the hammock.
    I have had the fixed eye end attached to the tree huggers using a lark's head, turned back to create a square knot.

When I have smaller diameter trees everything is good as I am able to wrap the tree huggers multiple times and have the point where the whoopie sling is attached to the tree hugger close to the tree, which gives me great adjustment of the whoopie sling.

The issue I am having is when I get a tree that is about three feet in circumference. In that situation I only get one wrap on the tree and the point where the whoopie sling is attached to the tree hugger is two feet from the tree. This does not provide me much adjustment on the whoopie sling and sometimes I am almost tight onto the whoopie hook to get the correct hang.

The solution I am looking at is to no longer permanently attach my whoopie sling to the strap. Instead I will use a marlinspike hitch on the strap, tied close to the tree and attach the closed eye of the whoopie sling on the knot of the marlinspike hitch. I have a couple of toggles from Dutch and I am comfortable in correctly tying and using the marlinspike hitch. This solution appears to me to be the one that will give me consistent flexibility and adjustment with my whoopie sling.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Images
    You have the right idea. Just because the strap has a sewn loop in it doesnt mean you are required to use it.

This doesnt fix the problem caused by the whoopie itself though. It needs extra room as you noticed.

What you can do if you need every last inch is to skip the whoopie and toggle entirely, and tie the strap directly onto the continuous loop (which i assume you have, as per the diagram). You can use any of the classic knots: Becket Hitch / Hammock Knot, J-Bend, X-Bend, Lapp, etc.

Senior Member Rusty Shackelford's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet
    Insulation
    Wooki, DB
    Suspension
    UCR, Dynaweave
    You could always larks head your whoopie hooks to your continuous loops on your hammock and then tie your straps to the fixed loop in your whoopie sling using a becket or marlin spike hitch, allowing you to get the sling as close to the tree as you like, then just hook your whoopie hook through the adjustable end. It's not my preferred method but it works in a similar way to what you're already used to.

Edit: I like to keep evo loops on my hammocks rather than continuous loops, this allows me to easily exchange my whoopie slings from one hammock to another without the use of any hardware. I connect the fixed loop of my whoopie to the evo loop with a soft connection and then run the adjustable end over my marlin spike hitch on my huggers.
    Last edited by Rusty Shackelford; 11-30-2020 at 21:21.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    JacksRBetr 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB 20deg set
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by LookBack View Post

The solution I am looking at is to no longer permanently attach my whoopie sling to the strap. Instead I will use a marlinspike hitch on the strap, tied close to the tree and attach the closed eye of the whoopie sling on the knot of the marlinspike hitch. I have a couple of toggles from Dutch and I am comfortable in correctly tying and using the marlinspike hitch. This solution appears to me to be the one that will give me consistent flexibility and adjustment with my whoopie sling.

Thank you in advance for your advice.
    That's how I do it, and it works great. Camping near me can involve some pretty big trees, so I carry an extra 5 footer for when a plus sized tree is in just the right spot.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Tree strap/whoopie/marlinspike has been my go-to for a long time and I always like it.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts