Hammock
    Grand Trunk UL
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge UQ
    Suspension
    Hummingbird

Any concerns about adding snaps and things to hammock fabric?

Thinking of installing some Kam snaps or hooks to attach convenient odds & ends along the edges of my netless backpacking hammock. I'd like to be able to snap my underquilt in place so it doesn't slip&slide around in the night, and I also want to improve my in-hammock storage ergonomics, maybe DIY something similar to a Dutchware peak shelf. Right now I just have everything prusiked or hung on my ridgeline with cord ends dangling all over.

Any structural integrity concerns w/ poking Kam snaps through hammock fabric? Would you trust them to hold a utility pouch? I have a Grand Trunk UL. Not sure what fabric it's made out of but it feels decently sturdy.

Thanks y'all!

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    Great question! Eagerly looking for folks experience on this.

I have a great down camp blanket that I was thinking of modifying to snap into my UQ. I often take it on hikes and trips - it weighs about 10 oz and is nice to have as a backup. I’ve used it on a few occasions to stuff into my sleeping bag and it made quite a difference.

I’m thinking you could have one warm fabric piece with snaps to attach to your TQ, TQ, or over the hammock as a cover. I’d buy something like this. Seems like Super Hammock thinks along these lines - they have a snap able exterior insulation.

Images
    It should be fine if you are attaching along the seam. KAM snaps push the fibers aside when you insert the stem. It doesnt cut anything.

The only concern is that you will have a small, potentially annoying plastic bump there now. Don't put it near where your head lays or where your legs dangle over.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    It really depends on how sturdy the fabric of your hammock is, how big the Kam Snaps are (i.e. how big a hole they're going to create), and how much force will be applied to the snaps. I probably wouldn't poke holes into an already pretty thin hammock fabric, and I would also not hang heavy stuff from the snaps. If you don't want to risk it, you might want to look into pack hooks and different storage options like peak bags, gear hammocks, ridgeline hammocks etc.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I've been using the Superior Gear hammock on a few of my last trips and it has snaps on it. Might want to eyeball that rig.
    https://superiorgear.com/product/superior-hammock
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG burra
    Suspension
    Warbonnet
    Images
    Also, I have been wanting to add two or three small plastic snaps on the foot end of my wookie underquilt. But i was curious if that would sacrifice durability. I wasn't thinking it would cause too much stress, but also didn't want to highjack the intent of this thread. I am thinking that it would be even less stress than putting them on the hammock. Interesting question that gets me thinking
    (I picture snapping the looser foot end together above the ridgeline, which in theory would snug up the foot part that sits instead of lifting around your foot box.)
    Volcanoes and waterfalls, trees and hammocks,
    Columbia River gorge, in Benson Burner's attic.
    http://www.youtube.com/my_videos

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Open the foot end of your Wooki, pull the whipping cord out of the channel, re-whip it by hand and pull out the sides or only the side of the footbox a couple of inches. Tie the whip off. This tightens the sides, pulling the Wooki snug around the feet (and the shoulder if you do both sides). I have been modifying all of my Wookis this way for years, and it has solved the problem with the gaps a 100%. It's also fully undoable - in contrast to snaps.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG burra
    Suspension
    Warbonnet
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    Open the foot end of your Wooki, pull the whipping cord out of the channel, re-whip it by hand and pull out the sides or only the side of the footbox a couple of inches. Tie the whip off. This tightens the sides, pulling the Wooki snug around the feet (and the shoulder if you do both sides). I have been modifying all of my Wookis this way for years, and it has solved the problem with the gaps a 100%. It's also fully undoable - in contrast to snaps.
    Wow. I forgot what an awesome resource you are. Thanks. I might be able to pull that off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Volcanoes and waterfalls, trees and hammocks,
    Columbia River gorge, in Benson Burner's attic.
    http://www.youtube.com/my_videos

• + New Posts