Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images

Echo Lake, Over Look Mt. Catskills NY overnight trip.

Just a short overnight backpacking trip up Over Look Mountain and to Echo Lake in the Catskills, NY.

We passed the “Ruins” and then took a short trail to the Fire Tower and Over Look Mt view point. We then headed down about 2 miles or so to Echo Lake. It was a wet, muddy and very rocky trail but the area around the lake is quit beautiful, being surrounded on all sides with the mountains. It is about a mile loop around the lake with plenty of primitive camp sites available.. also a very serene section of pines that feels like you are in a fairy tale.. with a fairly large double beaver **** in there too. There were a few beaver lodges in the lake and plenty of beaver activities in the area. Echo Lake is known for its beaver population, also numerous black bear sightings and many coyote sightings, unfortunately for us we did not witness anything except for some beaver splashing in the lake overnight. For this trip, i left my hammock home and decided to get some use with my Nemo Hornet 1 P tent. I still love my hammock and I did miss it dearly!!

On our hike out the next day, we did get caught in a short, nasty hail storm as we crossed from Echo Lake to Over Look Mt. Goes to show you, anything weather wise can happen at any time in the Catskills, as I have witnessed many times over all my years trekking thru.

Please check out the short trip video i posted for better visual of the area.

Hammock
    bit.ly/2m61xEz
    Tarp
    bit.ly/2mZLRIw
    Insulation
    bit.ly/2pZjkEn
    Suspension
    bit.ly/2LY6heV
    Wonderful spot. I was up there last weekend with about a dozen folks. We took over the entire southwest edge of the lake just past the beaver dam, with the giant fire pit.

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    Neat video - I loved your musical choreography when exploring the ruins. NEat spot, I will check it out if I am ever in the area.

Thanks for posting it.

I was so interested in this structure that I had to Google it! INteresting history - numerous mentions of rattlesnakes in the area.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/article...mountain-house
    Last edited by Tpatter; 11-29-2020 at 19:24.

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Tpatter View Post

I was so interested in this structure that I had to Google it! INteresting history - numerous mentions of rattlesnakes in the area.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/article...mountain-house
    Yes, even the regional tourism board mentions the snakes. I was searching for a day hike for my family that included some ruins--a current obsession for my kids--and the multiple references of snakes and a relatively long drive for a day hike made my choose something different.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Very interesting look at a part of our country I've never been to. I liked you music selection. Was that another Democrat lead city following some peaceful protests? What I liked the most was the age spread of your group. Grandpa, dad, and son? Nice pitch on the hammock.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    Hahaaa.. yes supposedly lots of rattlers, bears, beavers and coyote. Unfortunately we did not see any animals. It was most likely too cold for rattle snakes ( i think). Even so, the trail to the ruins and fire tower is sooo wide and practically paved, I would not worry at all about snakes, even if they were out and about.
    Lmao.. it wasnt grandpa.. lololol.. that was just a hiking friend that i have known for a few years now! He will usually come out with us on easier shorter trips, though he did do West Rim, Black Forest and Allegheny Front trail with us a few years ago.
    Yes, my son has come around over the last year and learned to pack and set up all his own gear. It takes a lot of work off my load..
    He really shined on our last 3 trips.. family trip up Hunter Mountain, he stepped up really big on our Loyalsock trail thru hike, and now this short overnight trip to Echo Lake. Its so awesome to see him become self sufficient out there and to know that soon he will take the lead and be able to go out on his own.. maybe with his friends or whatever he chooses.
    Echo Lake is a great spot and for sure I will go back. Would love to go and camp there for 2 or 3 nights and just relax and enjoy the area. Thanks for watching the video and im glad you enjoyed the music selections, lol.
    Last edited by Dirtbaghiker; 11-30-2020 at 08:18.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Nice trip! I love that area but have not walked in from the Overlook side in quite a while, but usually via Prediger Rd, which now has a nice parking area unlike many years back.

Echo Lake brings back memories because it was my very first Catskill hike when I got to NY in the autumn of 1985. Yeah, that rocky ramp down to the lake is uber-annoying! So much easier with a nice packed snowshoe path.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Nice trip! I love that area but have not walked in from the Overlook side in quite a while, but usually via Prediger Rd, which now has a nice parking area unlike many years back.

Echo Lake brings back memories because it was my very first Catskill hike when I got to NY in the autumn of 1985. Yeah, that rocky ramp down to the lake is uber-annoying! So much easier with a nice packed snowshoe path.
    Yes.. would be much easier snow shoe in, lol. I am thinking about heading back during winter and spending 2 nights there, hopefully catching a good snow storm while there!

• + New Posts