netless mostly...
    Tarp
    DW Winter, Hex 12
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incu E20
    Suspension
    Whoopie-Spider

Burrow exterior fabric patching and blown footbox zipper repair ideas

I've had my econ 20 quilts a little over a year and love them both. I've used my incubator nearly full time and the burrow about half the time with around 80 nights outside in all sorts of weather. Flawless, the only thing I'd change is adding an extra oz or two of down to the burrow as the incubator is a plus three and is still what I'd call "aggressively" lofty which is great when it has been out in a 40 degree constant Western Washington drizzle for a week.

I have two issues, both the result of user error which I come to the hive-mind for ideas on solutions.

1) I managed to burn a dime-sized hole in the outer fabricof my burrow a few inches from center of the head end and not near any stitching. The extent of the thermal damaged fabric is over about a 1.5-inch diameter roundish area. A few months back I requested a small remnant of matching fabric (moroccan blue) from HG on another order and they obliged by sending a couple square feet free of charge. Very cool of them. Thanks. My first thought is to just hem over a small patch and use silicon sealant to "glue" it on and/or hand stitch it and not even sure I'd need to even hem or stitch it. I have a family member who is accomplished in the ways of thread injection if needed. If anybody has ideas about how to fix this cleanly, I'm all ears.

2) Against most of the recommendations found around here from wiser heads, I went with the zippered footbox on my burrow thinking I'd want the option of being able to use it flat like a blanket. Turns out, I never have and don't think I ever will. Restless legs run in the family and I have utterly blown out the zipper to where it is no longer functional. I do not in any way view this as a product defect. I suppose I could sew in a new, super bomber style zipper but I think I'd just like to sew the whole thing up into a dedicated footbox. Not sure the best way to do this. I have enough material and could easily scare up a bit of down and sew up an endpiece rather than just snug up on the drawstring. I could possibly just stich the zippered part together using the existing zipper cloth or remove it and figure out how to sew the baffles themselves together. It would need to be heavily reinforced around the snap area. Has anybody done anything like this?

Thanks, happy hanging.
    Last edited by gooless; 11-29-2020 at 05:02.

I would 'patch' it with the same material- I'm not sure if gluing or hand stitching, or maybe both would be best? Round off the corners of the patch or use a round patch. Another option is tenacious (spl?) tape but the damage will be more noticeable. I have not had to use this but have read here that it will hold really well and it stops the loss of down.

My advice would be to send both items back and have HG repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hammock
    DIY 11 ft Double Layer
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Inc30 / B40
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by gooless View Post
    I've had my econ 20 quilts a little over a year and love them both. I've used my incubator nearly full time and the burrow about half the time with around 80 nights outside in all sorts of weather. Flawless, the only thing I'd change is adding an extra oz or two of down to the burrow as the incubator is a plus three and is still what I'd call "aggressively" lofty which is great when it has been out in a 40 degree constant Western Washington drizzle for a week.

I have two issues, both the result of user error which I come to the hive-mind for ideas on solutions.

1) I managed to burn a dime-sized hole in the outer fabricof my burrow a few inches from center of the head end and not near any stitching. The extent of the thermal damaged fabric is over about a 1.5-inch diameter roundish area. A few months back I requested a small remnant of matching fabric (moroccan blue) from HG on another order and they obliged by sending a couple square feet free of charge. Very cool of them. Thanks. My first thought is to just hem over a small patch and use silicon sealant to "glue" it on and/or hand stitch it and not even sure I'd need to even hem or stitch it. I have a family member who is accomplished in the ways of thread injection if needed. If anybody has ideas about how to fix this cleanly, I'm all ears.

2) Against most of the recommendations found around here from wiser heads, I went with the zippered footbox on my burrow thinking I'd want the option of being able to use it flat like a blanket. Turns out, I never have and don't think I ever will. Restless legs run in the family and I have utterly blown out the zipper to where it is no longer functional. I do not in any way view this as a product defect. I suppose I could sew in a new, super bomber style zipper but I think I'd just like to sew the whole thing up into a dedicated footbox. Not sure the best way to do this. I have enough material and could easily scare up a bit of down and sew up an endpiece rather than just snug up on the drawstring. I could possibly just stich the zippered part together using the existing zipper cloth or remove it and figure out how to sew the baffles themselves together. It would need to be heavily reinforced around the snap area. Has anybody done anything like this?

Thanks, happy hanging.
    We'd be more than happy to take a look at that zipper for you! Its possible it was defective. It'd be super easy for us to remove and sew a new one on there for you. For the patch, honestly the best thing to do is give that to your family member or see what they'd do with it. When it comes to patches, it takes us a long time to sew one on, so we've been offering to patch the quilt with Gear Aid Tenacious Tape. That stuff is bomb proof.
    Harry Carlson
    Customer Support
    www.hammockgear.com
    740-445-4327
    [email protected]

• + New Posts