Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG burra
    Suspension
    Warbonnet
    Images

Tarp ridge line

Does using prussik loops on a CRL put less stress on the tarp ridge line tie out than if I use my stingers? I have stingers that I clip onto whatever tarp but I could use a CRL if it puts less stress on my tie outs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Volcanoes and waterfalls, trees and hammocks,
    Columbia River gorge, in Benson Burner's attic.
    http://www.youtube.com/my_videos

Senior Member Rusty Shackelford's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet
    Insulation
    Wooki, DB
    Suspension
    UCR, Dynaweave
    Yes but I have never had any problems with a split ridgeline and am not one bit concerned. The split rings that came on your cloudburst tarp is designed to fail long before the ridgeline, like a fuse in a sense.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    When you use a tarp CRL your tarp hangs under it the same way your hammock hangs on its SRL. The line takes the stress and the tarp hangs below it. This is great protection if you have a lot of strong wind or skinny trees that move. Not so much a problem with 2 - 3 ft diameter Ponderosa Pine. I use a CRL, instead of a split line, because I never know what kind/size of trees I’ll need to use. Maybe one will be much larger than the other so I have to shift most of the line to one side or the other.

For lighter weight, you do save the weight of 11 ft or so of ridge line cord by using a split line. But I seldom get the tarp right the first time. So I prefer to attach the ridgeline between the trees and be done with that - then adjust the tarp on the line. I suppose, if I put the hammock up first, I could use a split configuration to put one end of the tarp where it needs to be, then adjust the split on the other end. For me, the goal is not to be dancing back and forth from one end of the tarp to the other.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG burra
    Suspension
    Warbonnet
    Images
    Thank you two. My split rings have long since broken. Maybe I’ll make a loop with some lesser rated cordage as my “fuse” then not worry about whichever tarp is connected to that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Volcanoes and waterfalls, trees and hammocks,
    Columbia River gorge, in Benson Burner's attic.
    http://www.youtube.com/my_videos

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    You can buy some inexpensive “fuses” at hobby/craft stores like Michaels, Joanns, Hobby Lobby, and probably hardware stores (Ace, Home Depot, Lowe’s). I wouldn’t want to subject my tarp to forces strong enough to break cordage. But deform a cheap split ring - sure. It’s happened more than once. I would think that find a cord that is strong enough to hold the tarp in normal situations, yet weak enough to snap if the forces got too strong, would be a non-trivial engineering project.

One nice thing about the split ring is I can back it up with a strong dogbone of 1.75mm Amsteel. So if it gives out completely, the end of the trap won’t be flaying around. Unless conditions are very special, if I hung someplace where the wind was strong enough to destroy the split ring I should reevaluate the wisdom of my site selection.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts