Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair 12’
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dynaweb
    It’s a fascinating subject and I really appreciate the knowledge here.
    I had a brief overnighter last night but temps were up a tad to 6c(42f?) definitely helped adding a layer at 5am this morning, and using a ccf sit mat behind me was perfect...especially to enjoy my coffee sitting up.
    Using a 6oz sld trailwinder which should be good to 20f and a locally made 5oz top quilt (30f?) I was warm enough on top but a very slight coolness below, fiddling with the trailwinder didn’t help much but I think I just need more play time to dial in the fit.
    C2389145-7D4A-4C04-A369-27456FBB7C3D.jpg
    Last edited by Norfolk Yeti; 11-29-2020 at 07:24.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incu+SLD TW+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post

"I sometimes can't even stand going to bed with not even socks on in the 0F bag. It's just too warm." sounds like you might be producing sweat which can get wicked into your bag which can make you cold later on. At what temps are you using that 0F bag?
    I was using that 0F bag at probably around 50F when going to sleep. 39F-ish in the morning. Having the same actually nowadays in the afternoon at 32F-ish. Even with the bag tucked under I feel cold from underneath. I still think some of it is the Trail Winder 20F underneath and some is the 0F bag. The 0F bag feels cold when tucked under me in TQ mode now in 32F. But zipping it up feels warm. I do have the 42F bag on top (in TQ mode). I'm pretty sure these are survival ratings which is why I feel coldness. I won't die from any of this but I'm not climing a mountain trying to survive, I'm sleeping in the backyard trying to be comfy .

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    Interesting. I have the TW20 and have slept in it several times now down to about 35 and was comfortable even with a lighter weight sleeping bag. I was lying out today in it in 45 and comfy with no TQ - I could feel the heat rising.

My understanding (and I am a complete nonprofessional at this) is that the UQ produces (prevents loss actually) heat that the TQ must trap in order to keep you warm. So, you need both to work. Heat is constantly being lost and constantly rising. Biggest sources of loss are backside on the hammock, head, and feet. So, if you don’t have those well insulated, you will likely get cold. If it’s less than 70 or so, your body will be working to keep warm.

Make sure you eat enough fast calories so that your body has energy to burn in putting out heat all night. There seems to be a reason that Shug eats all those delicious looking desserts after dinner before going to bed!

Wind can make a huge difference as well - how is the wind and humidity where you camp?
    Last edited by Tpatter; 11-30-2020 at 01:20.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair 12’
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dynaweb
    Quote Originally Posted by Tpatter View Post
    how is the wind and humidity where you camp?
    That night was still but we have high humidity most of the time, my home grounds are the Norfolk broads, very swampy....think Florida without the heat!
    I think you’re onto something though re me needing to be warm to start with, I ate well that night, had merino wool base layers and a norgie shirt and was still a tad chilly.
    If I put my hand on the hammock bottom anywhere the uq is I could feel warmth coming back....

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    Also, there is not a whole lot of fiddling with the TW that I’ve noticed other than the tension on the ends. I don’t do much with the middle adjustments although tighteneing them seems to ‘wrap’ the insulation to cup more. I am not sure that matters too much however. I am thinking that what is under your body is what counts so I think that the tension on the ends is more important since it brings it closer or further away from the hammock. All that to say, you want it tight enough that when you are in the hammock and run your hand between the UQ and the hammock you can feel both. Due to the design, I think it would be difficult to get it too tight, but you could certainly have it overly loose. As a final test, with any UQ, I like to reach under and ensure that there is ‘loft’ and that the insulation has not been compressed which limits its use. Although, like I said, I feel the primary way to have this wrong with the TW would be to have it overly loose.

Anyhow, I can’t wait to get it out in some COLD weather to see how well it actually works, but I am super happy to 35 so far.

Maybe we just need to explore more.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair 12’
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dynaweb
    430F5287-61C5-43A0-8F0E-0906E3D33A13.jpg
    This pic may tell a story, it’s an 11’ chameleon with a 10’ trailwinder but looks around a foot of shock cord each end......not snugged up enough is it?
    Surely there should be <6” each end being 10’ under 11’ ??

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by Norfolk Yeti View Post
    430F5287-61C5-43A0-8F0E-0906E3D33A13.jpg
    This pic may tell a story, it’s an 11’ chameleon with a 10’ trailwinder but looks around a foot of shock cord each end......not snugged up enough is it?
    Surely there should be <6” each end being 10’ under 11’ ??
    Might be on to something here!

My TW is 9’ for my 11’ hammock. I am not sure what the shock cord length adjust I have it set to is exactly, but it is far less than a foot. I can measure tomorrow, but I think maybe 8 inches or so.

Given that your TW is a foot longer for the same sized hammock, I would suspect it is too loose as you say.

Try the ‘run you hand between the UQ and hammock as you lay in it trick’ to see what the gap is.

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    Hmm - I actually just checked the SLD site. It says the std length is 106” which is 8.8. I ordered mine with a hammock and Jared told me what to get, but I can’t recall now. I am 95% sure I have a 9’ however.

I will measure the UQ and my set length for each side and post tomorrow.
    Last edited by Tpatter; 11-30-2020 at 01:50.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair 12’
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dynaweb
    I’ll get in the garden tonight and report back!

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by Norfolk Yeti View Post
    That night was still but we have high humidity most of the time, my home grounds are the Norfolk broads, very swampy....think Florida without the heat!
    Sounds like Seattle!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast