Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dynaweb

Getting cold in the early hours

Hi all.
    What the best way to deal with getting cold in the early hours....3-4am and I feel a chill but not from poor insulation it appears, I’ve had similar when bivying so not concerned it’s hammock related per se.
    Guessing it’s just an out of calories sort of chill but what’s a good remedy to getting a few more hours warmth and subsequent restful sleep ?
    Thanks I’m advance.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    If you carry a CCF sit pad, try putting that under your bum and lower back.

Make sure base layers are totally dry before hopping in for the night. Some folks suggest a high-energy snack before bedtime but that has no effect for me, although maybe for you it will.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Also, if you feel the need to pee, just get up and take care of it.

There is a claim that keeping this extra volume of liquid warm saps energy that would otherwise keep the body warm. I actually don't buy that because 1) the liquid is already warm and 2) the body is an excellent insulator and only a very tiny amount of additional energy would be expended to maintain that temperature.

HOWEVER, I have experienced it frequently enough to opine that the cold feeling is perhaps another physiological prompt to get up and "take care of business." Once done, I feel warmer.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

I'm somewhat pleased to hear that I'm not the only person with this problem, as maybe collectively we can find a solution. I get cold around 4-6am and it doesn't appear to depend on what time I go to bed. e.g. a couple of weeks ago, uncharacteristically I stayed up 'til 2:30am and around 5am woke up cold enough that I couldn't get back to sleep. I generally feel cold in my torso but no where else so I recently bought some waffle weave thermal undershirts. I'm going to wear one of those tonight as it's going down to 0C. I'll let you know how I make out. I also keep my sweater in my sleeping bag with me so it's warm when I put it on in the morning; I put it between my knees to help my back. I might try putting it on if/when I wake up cold.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair 12’
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dynaweb
    Thanks,
    I do get up as soon as nature calls! It’s almost unbearable but to not just do it is to lose hammock sleep...
    I will definitely try the pad idea or I guess anything to give another insulation boost in the early hours?

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair 12’
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dynaweb
    I’d try eating but that’s likely to wake me up...it’s as if breakfast is calling but too early!!

Hammock
    DIY WINTER HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    Diy Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Dutch gear
    Images
    My feet get cold in the morning going to try a sleeping pad and down booties!
    Its a good day to be out in the woods no matter the weather.Mist One..

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Norfolk Yeti View Post
    Thanks,
    I do get up as soon as nature calls! It’s almost unbearable but to not just do it is to lose hammock sleep...
    I will definitely try the pad idea or I guess anything to give another insulation boost in the early hours?
    If you have un-used clothing layers, put 'em on!

A technique I use all the time in winter to reduce pack weight is to sleep in my down parka and down pants. I've used a 20°F top quilt down to a bit below 0°F with no problems. I'm carrying the parka and pants anyway, so might as well get more functionality out of them and reduce pack weight at the same time.

Hammock
    WBBB DL + 7 others
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    LocoLibre TQ0 UQ0
    Suspension
    15'Kevlar3.3J-bend
    You'll find some helpful methods and tips in this long older thread
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...s-to-be-warmer

It's normal for the human body temperature to dip in the night.
    It happens to me even indoors if the room is cool, where I need more insulation such as another blanket, to go back to sleep. About 1:30-3 a.m. for me.

And if I can't get back to sleep after five hours or great sleep (a Geezer commonplace) -- eating a roll or two, a slice of bread and jam, or dish of Cheerios, I close my eyes in the bed and listen to a lecture I've heard dozens of times so am no longer really interested in it. Within 30 minutes I'm sound asleep for another solid 3 hours. Oddly, I've met two older women who coincidentally also use the Cheerios trick to fall asleep again. I've read that in the Colonial days people retired with the sun or close to it, and often awoke around 1 a.m. and read or did correspondence for about an hour. Then went back to sleep for the remaining night.

Attachment 183444

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    I sleep much warmer since I started wearing down booties and a down hat at night. My feet are the first thing to get cold, but I don’t really feel it in my feet. This was a game changer for me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast