Rib muscle pain?

Hello all,

I have no idea what exactly I'm asking about, but when I sleep in a hammock, I sleep pretty well. But when I wake up, or if I wake up a bit early and want to linger in downy goodness, I have what feels like pain between the ribs in my back. I'm pretty sure it's a muscle (but I'm not doctor, and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night). It's always gone away after walking around in the morning, but it's strange because I *never* feel it except for in the morning of/after sleeping in a hammock.

I'm sorry for the vague, abstract question, but it's very unique to sleeping in a hammock, and it is unpleasant -- though not enough to send me into either a tent or a hotel. For what it's worth, the hammock is an ENO Double Nest.

Thanks for any help!

Carmike

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    For your comfort, I recommend a gathered end hammock (single layer) measuring:
    12x6
    While your in your larger new hammock, you will be able to get a diagonal lay. You will not have a “banana” lay, like you have in an ENO doublenest.
    This was my first hammock, that’s how I know.
    In your new 12x6, get a diagonal lay, but not an extreme diagonal, and certainly not a down the middle “banana” lay.
    Now you will have as “flat” a lay as a real good recliner that lays out almost flat—good enough for sound sleep.

If you choose to get an 11 foot hammock instead of a 12 foot hammock—it’s your choice—at least get the wide version somewhere between 66 to 72 inches wide. Your ENO doublenest is wide too. So maybe you are accustomed to more width.

My own comfort ratings

ENO doublenest Comfortable

11x5 More Comfortable

12x6 Most Comfortable

Your mileage may vary YMMV

If I got paid to tell lies...
    It just wouldn’t be as much fun...

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Mike, I think ENO hammocks might be on the short side in the Camping hammock category. The Double Nest is certainly WIDE, but not necessarily long. You didn’t mention your size, but regardless, if there is any way you can try an 11 ft hammock overnight - or a bridge hammock - you might see a difference. I’m found that when people first get into hammock camping, the hammock can be the minor concern - you buy it from REI or get something from Amazon, etc. Then the focus turns to suspension systems, tarps, etc. At some point it returns to the hammock as you consider 11 ft vs 10.5 ft, single vs double layer, light stretchy fabric vs stiffer fabric, etc.

You might mention how you have it hung - Hammock end distance hung vs physical hammock length, Hang Angle, etc.

As you sleep well throughout the night, you probably have the basics down. See if you can get your hands on an 11 ft hammock and try that.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Incubators
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Rib muscle pain?

I have hundreds of nights in a Doublenest. I have experienced what you are describing a few times although it manifests when I lay down, not in the morning.

I am 5’8” for reference.

The one thing I have found that will resolve this pain when it starts is some padding under my knees. When I take my pants/layers off, that’s where they go. I also use a very thin “pillow” under my head/neck, usually a thin down coat.

I cannot comment of whether a longer hammock will help, I only recently ordered a “proper” hammock. I’ll know after Christmas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    For me, longer was better. Like 12'. Except for the ElDorado (11'), which I find supremely comfortable.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Google costochondritis.
    I can’t sleep in a GE hammock due to a variety of injuries, including the above mentioned. However, I recently picked up a used ridgerunner hoping that solves my issues. I had good luck with the REI bridge hammock a while back, so hopefully the ridgerunner will fix the issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• + New Posts