Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket

Trail Winder stacking

Folks,

I got a new Trail Winder some time back - protector and under quilt all in one. I’ve been so happy with it - 20 degree rating and less than 23 oz with wind and moisture protection is just one incredible combination. Also, just hook up and go - no messing around. I switch it between various hammocks that I have which as all 11’ and the same ridgeline length with no adjustment at all.

I did experiment a bit initially to find the right amount of tension that I prefer. It has a line loc at end and and I tightened it to what I like. In the end, I prefer it a bit snug as the shock cord provides decent give to keep it from being overly tight. The insulation is on the outside of the gather UQP anyhow so that also prevents compression so a large degree. Anyhow, I love this thing.

Today I decided to see how it works with stacking. I have a basic HG style adjustment UQ that I used all summer. It works well and has a 45 degree rating - great for summer. I decided to see how the TW stacks so I hung on my summer quilt and put it inside the TW and laid down. Zero adjustments to either - I just kept them as I have dialed them in for individual use. It was a match made in heaven! I mean, the TW perfectly wraps around the UQ and just works. The tension system just loosens a bit and requires no readjustment. I slid my hand under each quilt to check tension and it just works quite well. My UQ is synthetic, lofty down may require more adjustment to prevent any compression, but my setup needed no adjustment at all.

It was 40 degree for my test and instant heat.

I need a setup for the other loaner family hammock. I am thinking of just getting a 40 degree TW and 40 degree UQ for all season use with stacking. We don’t camp below freezing which rarely happens here anyhow, so it should work well.

Anyone have advice on this plan? I could also just get another 20 degree TW and call it a day but am concerned that may be too warm in the summer.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    You can always vent the 20° Trail Winder in the summer by loosening the sides, and possibly lengthening the lineloc at the end to make it hang a little lower under your hammock. I've learned that my top insulation makes a bigger difference as to whether or not I am going to "overheat" during the night.

But if you're looking for a loaner setup, it may make more sense to get the two 40° underquilts. This way you'll have a warmer weather UQ to use when going solo. It'll give you more options.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Hang Tight/ SLD TW
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    I was actually curious about the Trail Winder UQ. I was considering the 40 degree one as a stand alone but figured that it would make a lot more sense to have a down 20 degree quilt that the 40 degree Trail Winder could stack with if possible. Have you had a chance to experiment with this more and do you have any suggestions?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TDGuentner View Post
    I was actually curious about the Trail Winder UQ. I was considering the 40 degree one as a stand alone but figured that it would make a lot more sense to have a down 20 degree quilt that the 40 degree Trail Winder could stack with if possible. Have you had a chance to experiment with this more and do you have any suggestions?
    Stacking for sure works well.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Hang Tight/ SLD TW
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Stacking for sure works well.
    Shug

*Gets a reply from Shug, does a little happy dance!

Thank you! I was thinking that it would need some extra shock cord to keep from being too tight and compressing the down quilt. I'll have to play with it. Should probably get off my butt and order one first.

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by TDGuentner View Post
    I did end up getting a 40 degree TW which also stacks readily with HG UQ. I like the HG on the outside since the TW is larger and I get more down loft that way.

I am a bit surprised how thin the 40 degree TW is although it has been warm. I got it for summer use when my temps will not dip below 50 or so. Basically, June -> Sept. Stacking with the HG UQ I would be very confident to 30 (I like to be warm) and I rarely camp in anything lower than that.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Hang Tight/ SLD TW
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Tpatter View Post
    I did end up getting a 40 degree TW which also stacks readily with HG UQ. I like the HG on the outside since the TW is larger and I get more down loft that way.

I am a bit surprised how thin the 40 degree TW is although it has been warm. I got it for summer use when my temps will not dip below 50 or so. Basically, June -> Sept. Stacking with the HG UQ I would be very confident to 30 (I like to be warm) and I rarely camp in anything lower than that.

Did you get the standard size or the broad? I'm 5'10" / 175 lbs and slightly broad chested and shouldered. Certain clothing brands "medium" fits well until I flex or stretch and then I'm all "fat guy in a little coat". Not being able to "kick the tires" weirds me out about online orders sometimes because of that. Thanks in advance!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incu+SLD TW+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    WB webbing

FWIW I have a HG Incubator 40 and a TW 20. I've slept warm in those stacked (TW on the outside) down to ~0F and I think I would have been able to go further down from the UQ side. Didn't because of concerns on the face (and now it's too warm ). I'm a cold sleeper.

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by arutha View Post
    FWIW I have a HG Incubator 40 and a TW 20. I've slept warm in those stacked (TW on the outside) down to ~0F and I think I would have been able to go further down from the UQ side. Didn't because of concerns on the face (and now it's too warm ). I'm a cold sleeper.
    I’m going to try the HG on the inside. Call me vain, but I much prefer the look of the TW. Looks sharp. Have you experienced any issues with the TW compressing the down? Do you loosen it?

Thanks.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I’m going to try the HG on the inside. Call me vain, but I much prefer the look of the TW. Looks sharp. Have you experienced any issues with the TW compressing the down? Do you loosen it?

Thanks.
    The adjustable end of the TW is designed to be loosened, specifically for stacking purposes. Jared actually created the TW as an UQP with insulation sewn-in, so I'm sure it'll work just fine being on the outside.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast