Hammock
    Ridgerunner

Tarp for Ridgerunner

My first real hammock should be arriving any day now; Warbonnet Ridgerunner! Now I have to start looking at accessories!

I notice that Warbonnet recommends a 13 foot tarp for the RR. Is that the way most go? Anyone use a 12' tarp?

Thanks.

Muddy

I have the cloudburst. Works well! But you have to pay attention when setting it up so that the RR doesn't poke it.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Muddy,

If your tarp doesn’t have doors, it doesn’t matter.

The reason a 13 ft tarp is recommended for the Ridge Runner is because when set up as suggested (note the word is “suggested”, not “law”) the apex points - where the two lines from each side come together - is about 13 feet. So if you have a shorter tarp WITH DOORS, if your tarp ridgeline is shorter than 13 ft AND you have the RidgeRunner setup at that distance, then the doors will be held upon - just a bit - by the hammock suspension.

For some, especially with the small gap you’d have with a 12 ft tarp, that gap is a feature, not a bug, because you want a little ventilation anyway.

Unless you are planning “dead of winter” type outings, If you have a shorter tarp, with doors, it probably won’t make much difference - I used an 11 ft SuperFly with the Ridge Runner for years. But it was used in the spring/summer/fall and I can’t remember when I had to close up the doors tight.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    I’ve used just about every sized tarp for a ridge runner. I still like and 11’ foot thunder or mountain fly. I use drip lines on the dog bones and have never been wet, in some pretty ugly weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Bandit TQ Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Here is a link to my thread when I was also starting to look for a RR tarp. I ended up going with a 13 foot silpoly Superfly and it does provide amazing coverage. For my 3-4 day trips on the Superior Hiking Trail I would say it was ideal, fully protecting me from some pretty serious rain and wind on occasion. In the HG snakeskin it weight in at 23 oz and that does not include the guylines or stakes which I keep separate.

Right now I have been considering a HG 12' palace which is supposed to weigh in around 10 oz if I will be doing a longer trip. As cougarmeat said that means there might be a small opening but I have a hard time imagining a significant amount of rain getting blown through there.

With the spreader bars on a RR I would be cautious about going for too narrow of a tarp. In order to avoid the spreader bars my experience is the tarp has to either pitched wide or pitched high even with panel pulls. That 10' width on the Superfly for example lets me keep the tarp quite low and still gives me ample clearance on the spreader bars. I have found that to be a bit of a tradeoff when looking for spots to hang as sometimes you struggle to find trees the right distance and then realize there is something blocking where the tarp wants to go down to.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Thank you all for your insight and time.

Thanks Adroa for the link! I did do a search before posting but obviously missed that one; good info.

I was leaning towards a 12' tarp to be a bit more versatile; moutainfly or thunderfly.

Cheers
    Last edited by Muddy; 11-25-2020 at 20:00.

Hammock
    WB BBXLC
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB UQ and TQ 20*
    Suspension
    Dyneema Straps
    I use an 11’ Cloudburst with the door kit. Its OK. If I could do over I would go with a WB Superfly.

• + New Posts