Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Moved my DIY Tensa to the yard, life is easier

I had thrown a tensa style stand together partly using scrap metal(trampoline stand/poles) that I had been using on my bipod stand for a couple of years. I was using it successfully enough on my back porch. I had the foot end tethered to a DIY boom stake in the yard a few feet from the end of the patio, and that worked great. It never moved even a fraction of an inch as far as I could tell.

But I had to balance in it just right. Not just to avoid the well known mouse trap risk, but I had a different issue. Often, when I first sat in it, all would be fine. But when I went to lay back, if I shifted my weight the least bit too far to the head end, the feet would slip towards to foot end and lower me to the ground. I finally got that fixed by running some cordage to a patio door, into the living room, wrapped around a shoe. This solved the problem fine, and it was very stable after that. Though my wife was not crazy about the black strap around a shoe in the living room, it worked quite well.

But today I decided to move out past the end of the patio onto the grass where my boom stake had been, I tethered the foot end to a nearby tree, and tethered the head end loosely to a boom stake, though probably not needed. With the feet digging into the ground, it seemed about as stable as being attached to 2 trees. Lots of room for this gathered end Claytor hammock. After the videos, I put an SMR Inferno on and had a warm nap. 3 short videos, the longest is the first, where I am hopping in and flopping around just to see how stable it is. The next too shorter videos concentrate on the hammock connection at the apex, and the wire ropes/clamps. All seems uber solid. (sorry, I don't know why a thumbnail for the videos is not showing) EDIT: figured out the thumbnails, thanks to Promotions!

Getting in and out and thrashing around in the hammock:

Foot end apex with occupied hammock(as I get in, applying load):

Head end apex with occupied hammock(as I get in, applying load):
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 11-25-2020 at 13:35.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incu+SLD TW+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Nice!

I think it's an SO thing that they don't like what we do for our hammocks mine doesn't seem to like that fact that when you come down the basement stairs and go through the door you either turn left to avoid the tensa or you sorta have to duck under the line that attaches my foot end to the steel I-beam that holds up the main floor (in the one basement room that has no ceiling) .

FWIW my DIY Tensa is pretty solid on the carpet in the basement. And it's not even properly attached carpet. It's just a 10x8 Homedepot 'rug' (the ones they make from left over carpet) that we layed on top of the vinyl flooring. The Tensa sort of 'digs in' like yours probably does in the yard. I do sometimes attach the head end to the office desk I use for my home office. But I don't always do it. It doesn't really matter for getting into the hammock as I'm careful enough so far. I actually have the Tensa set up so that it's balanced by itself. It doesn't pull on the foot end nor the head end really and only does once I get in. However the attachment to the desk has saved me multiple times already from mouse trapping the stand just by pushing the blanket I use too far to the foot end! Even worse, we have a drop ceiling not dry wall so much softer material and one time it wasn't attached to the desk and I have a dent in one of the ceiling panels now. Luckily it didn't go fast/far enough to damage the drop ceiling rails.

Do you have an inside setup spot for your tensa (the whole stand not just the shoes part ?

Images
    No, I have not yet had the nerve to try and get an indoor stand past SO. She gets agitated enough when she has to look at my various stands over the years on the back porch/patio. I could tell the shoe and black strap pulled up snug against the door in the living room was already stressing her.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 11-25-2020 at 10:19.

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    After returning from a 5 day trip, I told my wife how much better it is for my back to sleep in a hammock. I suggested that I should hang one in the bedroom for sleeping. She laughed and said, that might be the last straw.....

I do have plans for the garag however.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tpatter View Post
    After returning from a 5 day trip, I told my wife how much better it is for my back to sleep in a hammock. I suggested that I should hang one in the bedroom for sleeping. She laughed and said, that might be the last straw.....

I do have plans for the garag however.
    LOL!........................

Images
    How do I get a thumbnail to show for those Youtube videos? Or, how do I upload a video to HF? I tried to do it in the same way as pictures, but the file was too large, if the extension is even allowed.

Hammock
    DIY WINTER HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    Diy Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Dutch gear
    Images
    Same here would like to know to
    Its a good day to be out in the woods no matter the weather.Mist One..

Hammock
    Darien, El Dorado
    Tarp
    Walmart Special
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    How do I get a thumbnail to show for those Youtube videos? Or, how do I upload a video to HF? I tried to do it in the same way as pictures, but the file was too large, if the extension is even allowed.
    Quote Originally Posted by mistone View Post
    Same here would like to know to
    Use the VIDEO tags around your links. Either type it out manually or use the Video button and paste your link in the prompt.

ex. {VIDEO}yourlinkhere{/VIDEO} (replace { and } with [ and ] )

Here is an image of what this post looks like "behind the scenes."
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Promotions; 11-25-2020 at 12:57.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Promotions View Post
    Use the VIDEO tags around your links. Either type it out manually or use the Video button and paste your link in the prompt.

Thanks! I am trying it, no luck so far. I copied and pasted "{VIDEO}yourlinkhere{/VIDEO} (replace { and } with [ and ] )

", got no changes, I used the "youtube" button and got a sort of thumbnail, but it was just a black screen. I'll try some more.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Promotions View Post

OK, I finally got it, thanks again, Promotions! Had to use, as you said, the "insert video" button, NOT the "youtube" button!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast