Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Looking to buy!

Hello from Upstate NY

Hey, folks! I'm brand new to Hammock camping, in fact, I haven't tried it yet and don't even own a Hammock 🤔...yet
    I've done a fair amount of camping and have hung out in other people's hammocks. I'm looking to start a new hobby so I thought I'd see what I can learn from all this experience in one place.
    I have to give a shout out to Shug, whose videos got me thinking about it.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Welcome.

You're on the right track starting with Shug's videos!

Where upstate? I love to get up the Catskills and ADKs when I can.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Looking to buy!
    I live in the very northern Catskills, known as the Helderberg Escarpment. Very rural, lots of hiking trails, and lots of trees that I plan to practice on!

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by contradancer View Post
    I live in the very northern Catskills, known as the Helderberg Escarpment. Very rural, lots of hiking trails, and lots of trees that I plan to practice on!
    Great locale — Catskills out the back door and ADKs not too far!
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Welcome from 'downstate;" Long Island. I think you'll find this a very friendly, collaborative community. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here and it will definitely help flatten the learning curve to watch those videos and patrol the various sub forums. I've been an on-again-off-again camper over the years and my "off" periods were associated with the dissatisfaction of sleeping on the ground. A co-worker suggested a hammock and it sounded ludicrous, then I randomly came across one of Shug's videos and I haven't looked back or gone back to the tent. My hiking and camping frequency has quadrupled over the last year or so because I no longer dread crawling into a sil-nylon coffin.

My piece of advice to someone who does not own a hammock yet: resist the temptation to buy one at the sporting goods store. Those models are almost always designed for lounging, not sleeping. If there's a beginner theme on this forum it's "I bought a XXX and can't get comfortable" and usually it's because it's too short and too narrow. I made that mistake, then was lucky enough to find this place and was able to return the lounger and get a proper camping hammock.

Best of luck. There are several other NYers here and they are all very willing to help new people.
    Bob

Hammock
    1.2 MTN
    Tarp
    12' DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Kevlar strap
    Welcome from another upstater, and good luck in your adventure. I keep some bees in the northern Catskills, in Rensselaerville.

Hammock
    Looking to buy!
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Great locale — Catskills out the back door and ADKs not too far!
    I love this area, and I know I'm lucky to be so close to great locations. Learning how to plan a trip is on my list of things to find on this forum.

Hammock
    Looking to buy!
    There's no way that I'll be buying a Hammock at a sporting goods store. I'm a believer in the quality tools, equipment, whatever, to begin with. There's nothing worse than cheap crap.

Hammock
    Looking to buy!
    Neighbors!

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by contradancer View Post
    I love this area, and I know I'm lucky to be so close to great locations. Learning how to plan a trip is on my list of things to find on this forum.
    Might want to check out the Catskill 3500 Club.

It's good to hook up with folks who do a lot of this stuff, and gradually work into overnight trips and then multi-nights as you progress.

As far as actual planning, there are so many trip reports and YT videos these days that it's pretty easy to get a very good feel for where you're going without ever stepping foot on the trail. Mapping is also a breeze compared to yesteryear, so you can plan daily mileage, camp locations, etc.

I'd suggest right off the bat becoming a donating member so that you have access to all the non-hammock sub forums where these discussions take place. There are a lot of knowledgeable folks here and it is $10 very well spent!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast