Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    REI Flash Air Hammock
    Tarp
    REI Flash Air
    Insulation
    ENO Vulcan
    I normally try to find a place to bathe at the end of a day's hike, change into my "cleanest clothes," and rinse the day's hiking clothes (generally just T-shirt and undies). I have a section of extra rope that I carry for backup, and I'll generally use it to make a clothesline by running the line through the arms of my shirt and legs of my underwear (so my clothes don't blow away overnight) and tying it away from my hammock. My socks have a loop on them, and I attach them to the bottom of my hammock with a small carabiner to let them dry overnight. I generally don't rinse them out, because it's more important to me for them to be dry than clean. If it rains overnight, my clothes get an extra rinse cycle. If it's still raining in the morning, I just put the wet clothes back on before I break camp. If it didn't rain or the rain stops before I start hiking, and my clothes are still wet, I hang them on my backpack and let them dry while I'm hiking. By the next afternoon, they are my "cleanest clothes" so I'll repeat the process with them.

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    As others have said, try to manage moisture so you are not wet. Depending on your fabric choice you can rewarm and dry the clothes on your body. See this video for an example https://youtu.be/VHFBMT_pR9Y

I carry a base layer to sleep in depending on the season. This weekend it was lightweight thermal top and bottom and a separate set of socks. If clothes are dry they go into the pack. If wet, find a place to hang them that’s covered by the tarp with some airflow. If that’s not an option, I’d try to isolate them In my pack from other items so those other things don’t get wet.

Hammock
    DutchWare Half-Zipped (Hexon 1.0)
    Tarp
    HammockGear CF Hex
    Insulation
    HG UQs and TQs
    Suspension
    Huggers w/Whoopies
    Images

Embrace The Suck!

Generally speaking, I have one set of hiking clothes, and 1 set of sleeping clothes. I carry a rain shell, but if it's not hypothermia wx, I just hike in the rain, and get a free clothes laundering. To me it's better than sweating like a pig in a shell.

When I get to camp I set up my tarp to get out of the rain, strip off my hiking clothes, dry off with a small microfiber towel, put on my sleeping clothes, and maybe a rain shell, and some wind pants. Then I set up camp, make dinner and crash. The next morning I get up, start making breakfast, stash my sleeping clothes in the bottom of my pack liner with my quilts, and put those cold, wet hiking clothes back on. Yes, I shriek like a little girl. But by the time I get my stuff packed up, they've warmed up and I get back on the trail.

If the next day is sunny and dry, I might take a Zero-In-The-Woods©. Set up a clothesline and dry everything out. I carry a 6 meter hank of 1.8mm reflective cord - Like MSR's Ultralight Utility Cord. It has a lot of uses, but mostly I use it for a clothes line. I spend the day drying clothes, quilts, hammock, shoes ... The next day I step out dry.
    Last edited by Ldog; 11-23-2020 at 22:23. Reason: just light editing
    L.Dog
    AT 2000 Miler/ 1752 Hangin' Miles
    Pictures
    Blog
    Pack List

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I also carry two sets of clothing. My hiking set and a dry camp set. I'm a sweaty hiker.
    So I take my hiking clothes and try to get them in the sun or wind to dry them out some. I'll fire dry if I have a fire.
    Hang them off of my tarp ridgeline or under the tarp on hammock suspension or on hammock ridgeline at footend.
    So sometimes they dry but I have many times put on damp hiking clothes the next day. Don't mind, once I start moving they warm.
    Shug o' Sweat
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    If the clothes are damp, I place my day clothes on the hammock, then the Top quilt with me in it, so I'm laying on the clothes. The body head drys them out some over night. When I get up, I water a tree, grab my food and get back in the hammock to eat a pop-tart or a breakfast bar. Once I decide I'm getting up, first task is to yank off my dry sleeping clothes and quickly put on the hiking clothes. They might be damp still but they are close to body temperature. Then get busy quick packing up.

If they are wet from rain....squeeze out and hang for a time. If you think you can put them under your quilt, do it. Otherwise, go to sleep embracing the funk of putting on wet clothes in the morning.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Synthetics. Dedicated sleep clothes. Extra pair of socks in cold temps to allow the wet ones that didn't completely dry out over night, a few more hours hang time before I have to use them again.

In camp sometimes I will literally change clothes out one piece at a time as duties and temperature dictate. Before I hit the hammock, wind shirt and xenon pants come off and go into a Black Bishop bag used for a pillow.

In the past I have line dried a pair of synthetic underwear next to a set of cotton. One dried in a few hours, the other was still damp when I packed up to head out the next day. It wasn't even close. If you have to carry cotton make it a bandana.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear DCF
    Insulation
    EE Revelation Apex
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Thanks everyone. I can live through putting on some cold damp clothes, certainly done it many times before. I keep my capilene sleep clothes and spare socks in my dcf dry bag with my quilt. Hopefully I'll catch some good weather and not have to worry about hiking through a downpour.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    One thing I haven't seen mentioned is using tarp door lines as a hanging spot for drying clothes. I connect 1/8" shock cord from each door in the middle of the tarp underneath and that makes a great spot to hang clothes from that won't drip on the hammock.
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear DCF
    Insulation
    EE Revelation Apex
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman857 View Post
    One thing I haven't seen mentioned is using tarp door lines as a hanging spot for drying clothes. I connect 1/8" shock cord from each door in the middle of the tarp underneath and that makes a great spot to hang clothes from that won't drip on the hammock.
    Oh that's a great idea. That's what I'm looking for, I'm going to test that out this weekend.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    My door bungee would be a bit too spongy for Iceman857’s exact suggestion - BUT I could have an “accessory” 1.75mm LashIt cord just the right length to span the two folded-in doors (on one side). That gives me a hanging line, not over the hammock, and not requiring the tarp suspension to run under the hammock. I LIKE IT!
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast