Hammock
    Dutch 11' Netless
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG UQ / TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Just a little more info about Butterfield Hiking Trail....

I have hiked it twice, once with a friend and once solo. Both times I walked between 17.5-18 miles for the entirety of the trip. This includes some off-trail exploring at just about every opportunity I had. The BHT website states the trail is 15 miles long and All Trails lists it as 15.2 miles long. The trailhead is located in Devils Den State Park and a backcountry permit must be obtained at the welcome center. It's free, they just want to know who is on the trail. Don't forget to turn in your pass as you leave.

I have hiked the trail clockwise on both occasions. I will likely hike it in a counter-clockwise fashion next time so I can knock out the steeper part of the trail when my knees are fresh. I know trail difficulty levels are extremely subjective, but I would personally rate this as a "moderately difficult" trail. The reason I state this is because there is a fairly steep downhill section (uphill if hiking counter-clockwise) near the end of the trail with an elevation change of around 400' in less than half a mile of distance, and the trail is fairly rocky. The experienced hikers in the group will laugh at this. Those less experienced, like me, have to take it a little slower.

I have bad knees and going downhill is very tough for me, so I much prefer walking up-hill as often as possible. Others may welcome the downhill descent after a long day's hike. Hiking poles are very useful on this trail, especially as you get tired. There is a horse trail that bypasses this steep section, but I've never used it so I can't say it's better or worse. It looks much less steep on the topo map.

Walking clockwise, you will pass a couple of old homesteads and an old cemetery pretty quickly within the first couple miles, which is a pretty easy hike being a very slight incline until you get close to 74. Once you cross 74, you enter the Mark Twain National Forrest and that is when the views really start presenting themselves. The first dispersed campsite you come to is Rock Hole Camp around mile 7 and is right next to Blackburn Creek. A little further down the trail is Junction Camp where Blackburn Creek and Lee Creek converge. I have stayed at both and MUCH prefer Junction Camp. It's well off the main trail and I think the scenery is much prettier. One thing to note, the spur to Junction Camp has a fairly steep section about a quarter-mile long but the reward at the bottom of the hill is worth it!

The trail is blazed in blue and is fairly well marked but I would recommend you bring some form of navigation with you, either a map or a GPS enabled device. I always bring both, and a compass.

Water has been plentiful both times and I expect it will be next time also. I generally fill my water at the creek at the beginning of the trail, just enough for a drink and to cook lunch. You’ll pass a couple of waterfalls where water is present if you need more before coming to Blackburn creek for your next fill-up.

For those who might want to shorten the trip, you could do it a couple of ways. Going clockwise you can hike an easy hike to Rock Hole Camp, or until you are tired or ready to setup camp. Then, you could just back track out the following day. Going counter-clockwise you could attack the steeper section first and end at Junction Camp, then backtrack out the next day. If you plan on making it a 2-night trip, which I would highly recommend, I would think most could hike the entire loop pretty easily and without being rushed.

For myself, I rate trails based on access to water, not necessarily the difficulty of the trail. I HATE CARRYING WATER!!! I love this trail for the views, but water has been plentiful, so that makes me like it even more! ��

Hammock
    Dutch 11' Netless
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG UQ / TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Sh4ggy View Post
    The drive from KC is the part I'm least looking forward to. Should be fun though

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    LOL, I hear ya! Every past hang I have attended required at least 4 hours of driving from where I live in SW MO. I generally just get up early, go eat a good breakfast, the queue up a bunch of Shug videos to listen to for the drive

And honestly, it's a nice little break from everyday life, even if its only 4 hours.

Hammock
    summer XLC,winter dutch 11' netless
    Tarp
    HG dyneema hex
    Insulation
    HG UQ, EE TQ
    Suspension
    webbing/cam buckle
    Images
    Question for the group: Since New Years Day falls on a Friday in 2021, I was wondering if that might be an issue for some folks who might want to attend the FBH, but because they traditionally get together with their extended family and/or friends to celebrate the holiday it creates a conflict. Of course the opposite could be true as well... some people might be able to only attend on January 1st because they have that weekend off from work. I just wanted to throw it out there to see if moving the date to Friday the 8th would work better or worse for most.

Hammock
    12' DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    12' Warbonnet Thun
    Insulation
    Down Quilts
    Suspension
    Dutchware Beetle B
    That weekend works better for me because I have a 3 day weekend. That's my two cents

Hammock
    Dutch 11' Netless
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG UQ / TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by twentybelow View Post
    Question for the group: Since New Years Day falls on a Friday in 2021, I was wondering if that might be an issue for some folks who might want to attend the FBH, but because they traditionally get together with their extended family and/or friends to celebrate the holiday it creates a conflict. Of course the opposite could be true as well... some people might be able to only attend on January 1st because they have that weekend off from work. I just wanted to throw it out there to see if moving the date to Friday the 8th would work better or worse for most.
    I would not be able to attend the second weekend of January due to my work schedule. If it works better for the group, then I understand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    Hi everyone, been a long time. I'm not sure if I can attend but I'll know in about a week and a half if it's possible. Would be great to see all of you again! I hope you're all doing well!
    Gideon

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by twentybelow View Post
    The three day weekend of Jan 1-3 works a lot better for me.

Hammock
    summer XLC,winter dutch 11' netless
    Tarp
    HG dyneema hex
    Insulation
    HG UQ, EE TQ
    Suspension
    webbing/cam buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dublinlin View Post
    The three day weekend of Jan 1-3 works a lot better for me.
    That seems to be the consensus, so it makes sense to stick with Jan 1-3. Thanks to all who weighed in. Looking forward to seeing all the regulars as well as some new faces!

Hammock
    12' DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    12' Warbonnet Thun
    Insulation
    Down Quilts
    Suspension
    Dutchware Beetle B
    Quote Originally Posted by Br@nch View Post
    LOL, I hear ya! Every past hang I have attended required at least 4 hours of driving from where I live in SW MO. I generally just get up early, go eat a good breakfast, the queue up a bunch of Shug videos to listen to for the drive

And honestly, it's a nice little break from everyday life, even if its only 4 hours.
    I'm not griping about the distance other than griping there's nothing closer to here to even consider an option. If there was closer good areas I'd get out a lot more. I hope you didn't think I was really complaining.

Hammock
    Dutch 11' Netless
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG UQ / TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Sh4ggy View Post
    I'm not griping about the distance other than griping there's nothing closer to here to even consider an option. If there was closer good areas I'd get out a lot more. I hope you didn't think I was really complaining.

No, I didn't think that at all!

Unfortunately, for us both, there are really no good close options. You either have to drive well into Arkansas or up near the St. Louis area. I've not searched too much north of the KC area, but I guess there could be a place or two.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast