Hammock
    Dutch 11' Netless
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG UQ / TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    The West Fork, AR forecast for the weekend looks great compared to our other FBH's. I would be extremely surprised if we see an ice storm. I think it's just gonna be cold and maybe a little rainy on Friday morning turning cloudy Friday afternoon. Lows in the upper 20's to lower 30's at night. There is a 30% chance of light snow Saturday morning with highs in the upper 30's. Saturday night will be clear to partly cloudy. Sunday is forecasted to be warmer.

I think the biggest thing to watch out for will be ice/water on the rocks on the trail. I don't foresee the roads getting bad at all if the forecast is right.
    Last edited by Br@nch; 12-31-2020 at 14:50.

Hammock
    12' DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    12' Warbonnet Thun
    Insulation
    Down Quilts
    Suspension
    Dutchware Beetle B
    A lot of our concern is getting out of the Kansas City area safely. It's just a camping trip so I'm going to play it safe. Gonna see what's going on in the morning. See what the roads look like.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch 11' Netless
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG UQ / TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    That looks like some nasty stuff for the folks in the KC area!

I updated my previous post to directly mention the forecast being for West Fork, AR so we don't get someone in trouble who isn't from the area. Thanks for posting this....

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Branch is the plan to gather at the Lee Creek TH (near visitor center), or the Highway 74 TH (mile 2.6 on loop). The Ouachita Maps website mentions a trail permit and a camlping fee for the improved campgrounds (backcountry are free including Junction Camp). I gather from the info that there are no prohibitions to camping wherever you choose on the trail. Twenty reiterated the value of camping near vehicles the first night to avoid gear problems and complications for late arrivals. Where will you be?

Joe

Hammock
    summer XLC,winter dutch 11' netless
    Tarp
    HG dyneema hex
    Insulation
    HG UQ, EE TQ
    Suspension
    webbing/cam buckle
    Images
    Dublinlin: Sorry for your loss. You and Rem will be missed. I'll try to take a few pictures and post a trip report on the forum next week.

runners_low: I'm not intending to speak for Br@nch, but I assumed we'd meet somewhere near the visitor's center since we're supposed to get a backcountry permit anyway. I'll be leaving home about 8am and expect to arrive at the park between 1-2pm depending on road conditions and traffic, so I wanted to post this before heading out. If y'all get there earlier and don't want to hang around the parking lot, please leave word with the ranger which campground or trailhead you will be at and I will meet you there. Thanks!

Same goes for any folks who get there later in the afternoon or even Saturday morning... just ask the ranger where those crazy hammock hangers are. From what I understand, the office is staffed until 5pm every day including holidays.

Hammock
    Dutch 11' Netless
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG UQ / TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Just wanted to share- the roads are clear on I-49 south from Neosho, MO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutchware 11 foot
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    LL 20 to, WL 15uq
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Sh4ggy View Post
    A lot of our concern is getting out of the Kansas City area safely. It's just a camping trip so I'm going to play it safe. Gonna see what's going on in the morning. See what the roads look like.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    I hope everyone was safe and had a good time. We got nearly 3/4 of ice and then about 5 inches of snow on top near Harrisonville. I was at the farm and despite it being a great place to get snowed in, we couldn’t get out til late Saturday night. When I got home in west KC (Shawnee) had over 6 inches of snow with just a little ice....

I still want to do Butterfield, it’s on my list now.......

Hammock
    summer XLC,winter dutch 11' netless
    Tarp
    HG dyneema hex
    Insulation
    HG UQ, EE TQ
    Suspension
    webbing/cam buckle
    Images
    Only a few hangers were able to make it to this year's FBH. All three of us live near the Missouri-Arkansas border, and the snow accumulation down here was much lighter than points farther north. I drove through several snow squalls along the 275-mile route, but fortunately nothing was sticking to the roads and there were no traffic delays. We met near the Devil's Den visitor's center, got our "permits", and after waiting until 4pm for any late arrivals, hiked a quarter-mile or so to the "walk-in campsites". We pitched our hammocks and settled in for the night. Even though everything was soaking wet, we were able to coax a campfire to life and enjoy some conversation while making dinner. Bedtime came early, and with a low temperature overnight of 31 degrees, nobody had a problem keeping warm. Saturday morning we began the 16-mile Butterfield loop trail heading in a clockwise direction. The trail crosses Hwy 74 between the 2 and 3 mile markers, and it was here that Br@nch received a message from work which ultimately led to him needing to leave the trail and head home early. Runners_low and I continued on through intermittent snow showers that persisted all day, which periodically turned the woods into a winter wonderland depending on our elevation at the moment. We reached our destination for the day, Junction Camp, shortly after the 10 mile-marker. A steep descent on a spur trail brought us to the confluence of the Lee and Blackburn Creeks, which were flowing more like serious rivers after the recent precipitation. There was plenty of daylight left to set up our rigs, locate and retrieve some dead wood, and build a nice big fire. After dinner we basked in its warmth and used the radiant heat to dry our shoes and socks. Since the sky had begun clearing just before dusk, I opted to go tarpless that night, which is always my preference whenever the opportunity presents itself. I got a little frost on my 0-degree top quilt toward dawn, but nothing major. The low temperature overnight was 27. After a leisurely breakfast, we packed up and headed out. It was very pleasant hiking that morning in the bright sunshine, and by the time we reached the parking lot six miles later it had warmed to over 50 degrees.

All in all it was a good trip. The BHT is interesting with several historical sites and waterfalls along the route, a few nice overlooks from the ridgetops, and many established campsites to pick from. The park's namesake point-of-interest, semi-hidden Devil's Den, looked like an awesome place to spend the night along the trail, and I'd guess probably tends to be a very popular spot in warmer seasons. The dog you see in the pictures below is my 12-year-old rescued border collie mix, "Ginger". It was her first backpacking trip, and she did very well.

the route overview

first time using a dyneema tarp

camp 1

a touch of snow

semi-hidden campsite entrance

camp 2

"what's for dinner tonight?"
    Last edited by twentybelow; 01-08-2021 at 22:51.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hammocks Survivorman
    Tarp
    Hex fly
    Suspension
    Superior Gear
    Images
    Looks like you guys had a great time! I'm going to have to figure out a way to get down there this year and check it out.

Thank you for sharing!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Wow, Twenty Below, I’m so glad you posted a trip summary. I can’t believe it took me this long to see it! I really enjoyed seeing the photos. Looks like it was a neat trip even though there were only two of you (well, three, part of the way!) and the pup. I bet the dog thoroughly enjoyed getting to join in! I hate it that I missed out this year.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456