Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Br@nch View Post
    Me too! Going to bring the pup again?
    Definitely will bring Rem (dog)! The more decrepit I get, the more I appreciate/need his help. I tore the meniscus in my knee hiking in October (without aid of Rem) and the arthritis in my knees and hips has really been kicking my can since then. If I don’t make it this year it’ll be due to that. Having a series of large dogs these past 12 years willing to drag me up the inclines and steady my descent down has happily lengthened my hiking years so far, though! Hopefully Rem can drag me down a lot more trails before I totally fall apart!

Hammock
    Hennessy Hammocks Survivorman
    Tarp
    Hex fly
    Suspension
    Superior Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Br@nch View Post
    I hope you can make it! As -20 replied, kids are always welcome. All of the hangs we've had in the past have been family-friendly.

I do not know what your experience level is but one thing to note if I may---I was extremely unprepared for the first annual hang back in 2015 or 2016. The temps the first night got down to -2 F. I made it but had no business doing so if I can be honest. If it weren't for borrowed gear from Gideon, I would've ended up in the car long before 6 AM.

Everyone has to start somewhere but when temps get really low and you are on the top of a mountain or a long way from your car, it can get real very quickly, especially if it rains. But I learned a massive amount and I was 90% ready for our second annual HF hang.
    Thank you for asking! Folks looking out for each other is what I love about this community.

I think we'll be okay (famous last words). I've camped in cold weather quite a lot. I just haven't done a lot of it in a hammock. I made a gemini under quilt a few weeks ago. My HH Survivorman has a pad and I made a reflectix pad as well.

I've been down to 20° so far in my rig without the reflectix or underquilt.

My biggest concern is if we have to hike into camp, it's going to make packing more difficult. I have a CPAP that runs off a battery. Maybe I'll bring a wagon with me, HA!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch 11' Netless
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG UQ / TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Sh4ggy View Post
    I'm a habitual overpacker when going camping. I normally car camp so hopefully any location we use will be somewhere I can get my gear to. Being a big guy all my gear is big, so if it's going to be real cold I can't put as much in my pack as I should have to be safe. If I remember correctly there's usually some long hike involved to get to the sites used in the past.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    To date, we’ve always base camped on night one. This involves a fire, some good food and great fellowship. Then everyone heads out at their own pace the next day to their destination.

Hammock
    summer XLC,winter dutch 11' netless
    Tarp
    HG dyneema hex
    Insulation
    HG UQ, EE TQ
    Suspension
    webbing/cam buckle
    Images
    To expound on what Br@anch said above, in years past whoever is able to come out on Friday afternoon car-camps that night near the parking lot. This way, those who either can't or simply don't wish to backpack several miles to a second campsite on Saturday can still participate in the event, with the added benefit of being able to easily retreat to a warm vehicle if you get too cold during the night. It's a good way to test the limits of your equipment without the risk of hypothermia. Typically, those who couldn't make it Friday will join the group on Saturday morning, some folks will head home, and then whoever is left hikes in to a second overnight camp which has, if memory serves correctly, usually been less than five miles from the trailhead. Hope it helps!

Hammock
    Dutch 11' Netless
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG UQ / TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Dublinlin View Post
    Definitely will bring Rem (dog)! The more decrepit I get, the more I appreciate/need his help. I tore the meniscus in my knee hiking in October (without aid of Rem) and the arthritis in my knees and hips has really been kicking my can since then. If I don’t make it this year it’ll be due to that. Having a series of large dogs these past 12 years willing to drag me up the inclines and steady my descent down has happily lengthened my hiking years so far, though! Hopefully Rem can drag me down a lot more trails before I totally fall apart!
    Sorry to hear than Dublinlin! That sounds painful, hope you make a full recovery soon and can knock out some trails again!

Hammock
    Dutch 11' Netless
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG UQ / TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Lets start a poll on the location. Feel free to add a location to the list to vote on. If I am mistaken on water, please correct me. Its been 2 years since my last hike on any of these trails.

Wilderness Trail - Meramec State Park (Water Plentiful)
    Hawn State Park (Unsure on water)
    Mina Sauk Falls (Water Plentiful)
    Bell Mountain (No reliable sources of water from trail head on Highway A to the top of the mountain)
    Butterfield Hiking Trail-Arkansas-Trail Head in Devils Den State Park (Water Plentiful)

Hammock
    Hennessy Hammocks Survivorman
    Tarp
    Hex fly
    Suspension
    Superior Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by twentybelow View Post
    To expound on what Br@anch said above, in years past whoever is able to come out on Friday afternoon car-camps that night near the parking lot. This way, those who either can't or simply don't wish to backpack several miles to a second campsite on Saturday can still participate in the event, with the added benefit of being able to easily retreat to a warm vehicle if you get too cold during the night. It's a good way to test the limits of your equipment without the risk of hypothermia. Typically, those who couldn't make it Friday will join the group on Saturday morning, some folks will head home, and then whoever is left hikes in to a second overnight camp which has, if memory serves correctly, usually been less than five miles from the trailhead. Hope it helps!
    That helps a lot! Where have you you guys typically go or does it change from year to year?

Hammock
    summer XLC,winter dutch 11' netless
    Tarp
    HG dyneema hex
    Insulation
    HG UQ, EE TQ
    Suspension
    webbing/cam buckle
    Images
    A little history and links: The first two years (2017 and 2018) of the annual Missouri FBH were held at Bell Mountain. We camped at the trailhead on Hwy A near Ottery Creek the first night and at the top of Bell the second night which is about 5-6 miles from the parking lot. In 2019 we met at the Taum Sauk Campground on Friday and hiked down past Mina Sauk Falls Saturday and camped at various places beyond the falls within 5 miles of the parking lot. In 2020 we met at Hawn State Park the first night and hiked about 2 miles in to another campsite the second night. There is creek water near the parking lot as well as near the second camp.

Hammock
    12' DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    12' Warbonnet Thun
    Insulation
    Down Quilts
    Suspension
    Dutchware Beetle B
    Shorter hike is probably better for me. I don't know how many miles I can carry my Winter gear

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch 11' Netless
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG UQ / TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    I'll throw the first vote out there.

Wilderness Trail at Meramec State Park.

I would consider it an easier hike and water is plentiful. There are also a couple of dispersed campsites that will accommodate a larger group of people.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast