Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

The worse hang on this planet!

I've been out of the game since late of 2017. My camping buddy and I had a major fall out and didn't speak untill a couple months ago. Good News: We rekindled our old friendship and decided to go camping. We went to Raven Cliff falls. Turned out to be a Shlt show. Way too many day hikers and weekend warrior campers. It was like a trailer park. That being said, we tried to make the best of it and have a good time...

A week prior, I ordered a different suspension system for my Dream Sparrow hammock. Watched a lot of videos and seeked the advice of Thomas Ressler. He recommended the bettle buckle with 8ft straps to match with my 11ft hammock loaded with whoopie slings. His recommendation was to keep the bettle system close to the tree and adjust the whoopie sling. Well... It was hands down the absolute worse system I've ever used. I never could could get good hang. I felt like I had to climb the tree to attach the straps to get a 30° hang. It was all bad, I literally tried to hike back to my car at 3 in the morning to my car so I could get warm and sleep. Fyi, I never do stupid **** like that. I have extensive military vfield training. It was a very stupid move. 2 hours later, zero flashlight... I found myself back to the camp site.

My hammock gear 20° degree underquilt under performed... and ugq top quilt felt like I was sleeping on ice, inch worms sounded like elephants on my top quilt covering my face. Disappointing is an understatement. I have never had this bad of camp.

I just want a simplified set-up... No drama. Too much to ask? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Hammock
    WBB XLC
    Tarp
    winterdream 11ft
    Insulation
    HG stuff
    Suspension
    becket straps
    Bad dream, woke up and you were snug as a bug

Hammock
    WBB XLC
    Tarp
    winterdream 11ft
    Insulation
    HG stuff
    Suspension
    becket straps
    seriously as soon a your mind is screwed and your not comfy everything goes pear shape, there will be a lot of very experienced hangers that hopefully will help you out

Dave

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    If the tree straps have to go so high up that you have to climb, your trees are too far apart. That has absolutely nothing to do with the suspension system. The problem would have been the same with any other suspension. If you don't want to climb, find two trees closer together.

Hammock
    WBB XLC
    Tarp
    winterdream 11ft
    Insulation
    HG stuff
    Suspension
    becket straps
    I try to look for trees about 17ft apart seems to work with my XLC and 11ft tarp, plus I hang my foot end very near the tree approx 2ft or so suspension that end, that ends up with my foot end about chin line and head end about belly button height but thats on an XLC which seems to need foot end daily high

Dave

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Beetles AND whoopies?

Get some 12' or 15' polyester straps, put the beetles on 'em and hook the little T parts straight into hammock CLs. Trees about 18' apart. Done.

Some of the suspension rigs people come up with make things a WHOLE lot more complicated than necessary.

Testing and familiarization (muscle memory) beforehand is always better than trying for the first time... at night, with a cold rain, after a long drive and a few miles of hiking.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Beetle Buckles work very well with whoopie slings. Actually they're easier to use than a marlin spike hitch and a toggle. But if you're not counting grams or need to bridge wide distances, a Beetle Buckle webbing suspension would be even simpler. The OP would need to exchange the whoopies for continuous loops, though. I'm guessing that the whoopie slings are larksheaded into the hammock channel directly.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    Beetle Buckles work very well with whoopie slings. Actually they're easier to use than a marlin spike hitch and a toggle. But if you're not counting grams or need to bridge wide distances, a Beetle Buckle webbing suspension would be even simpler. The OP would need to exchange the whoopies for continuous loops, though. I'm guessing that the whoopie slings are larksheaded into the hammock channel directly.
    Just another of my personal tics, I suppose, but TWO adjustable systems is repetitious redundancy repeating over again and again.

Granted there are situations where gee if I had 60 feet more webbing and a ladder I could use those trees, but I just go look for other trees.

However I really do believe that, in general, people tend to overcomplicate things. And I do appreciate that I'm at the other end of the spectrum... I look for absolute simplest solutions.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, Astd. Dutch
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex, TF
    Insulation
    HG,WLSS,JrB,UGQ,LL
    Suspension
    LW straps/Becket
    The more I do this, the more convinced I am that simpler is almost always better. I think I've settled on straps with Evo Loops to attach to the tree and a Beckett Hitch to attach to the continuous loops on the hammock. No hardware to fail or fuss with and nothing that is too delicate to do with cold fingers. We've all had those disaster nights where nothing goes right. It really takes a while to get everything dialed in so just keep practicing in the backyard and stay at it and things will get better. Also watch and rewatch all of Shug's videos. Many times I thought I was doing something right then I would watch a video for a second or third time and see where I was going wrong.
    Last edited by Clisbyclark; 11-23-2020 at 08:21.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Just another of my personal tics, I suppose, but TWO adjustable systems is repetitious redundancy repeating over again and again.
    Well, the marlin spike hitch * is * an adjustable system... It does the same thing the Beetle Buckle does. People who like knots and don't mind to pay attention ("on the knot, not the toggle") will prefer the marlin spike hitch. People who don't like knots and like less potential error sources will probably prefer the Beetle Buckle.

I don't like whoopie slings a lot, because more often than not the trees are rather too close together than too wide. But with the Beetle Buckles it's easy to use short tree straps (e.g. 8' instead of 12'), and add a whoopie sling or an extension dog bone when I can only find trees further apart.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    However I really do believe that, in general, people tend to overcomplicate things. And I do appreciate that I'm at the other end of the spectrum... I look for absolute simplest solutions.
    Me too. Only I don't always have a good choice of trees, and there's a lot of unused tree strap hanging around. Either I have to wrap it up or risk tripping. So simple for me is a shorter tree strap with the option to add length only when needed.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast