11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    I just have to laugh out loud when I read anything about suspension issues. Anyone not using a webbing and hitch is missing out. I'm still X bending but I digress.

I agree it sounds like his tree spacing was not optimal. Also, if that UQ is not adjusted right, its easy to the top quilt is insufficient as well. If the bottom is cold, the top is going to be cold. I may have missed it in all of the feedback, but make sure you "shake" or distribute the down in your quilts. The Sector Manager of 13 has a great video on why that is important as well. I've been cold and then realized I didn't give my quilts a good shake after taking them out of the pack. Helped immensely.
    Just a quote note about suspensions. Unless I'm on a really long hike, I kind of carry 2 adjustable suspensions like the OP. I care 12' Dutch straps with Toggles for the Marlin Spike Hitch. I use Whoopie slings and use Dutch biners to attach to the continuous loops on the hammock. This give me a lot of flexibility. Several times, I have used the Whoopie and Marlin Spike hitch on one end and tied a Beckett hitch on the other end because the tree spacing was too close to use both Whoopie slings.

Hammock
    Hammock Tent/SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tarptent/Thunderfl
    Insulation
    EE
    Suspension
    Kevlar/B. Hitch
    I put myself through this entire thread, and not one person mentioned that you gotta dial in your setup before you end up at camp. I'm guessing if the original poster spent a few hours in his backyard or a local park, 90% of his frustration would have been alleviated, and he would've spent his time happily sipping his whiskey near the fire.
    Oh, and Becket hitch is best/simplest, cos why use more when it isn't needed?

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimswms View Post
    I put myself through this entire thread, and not one person mentioned that you gotta dial in your setup before you end up at camp. I'm guessing if the original poster spent a few hours in his backyard or a local park, 90% of his frustration would have been alleviated, and he would've spent his time happily sipping his whiskey near the fire.
    See post #6

Testing and familiarization (muscle memory) beforehand is always better than trying for the first time... at night, with a cold rain, after a long drive and a few miles of hiking.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

In his defense, you cannot "dial in your setup" until you actually hang the hammock. Every hang is different. I agree that you must have familiarity with your system and how to make adjustments, but you cannot dial in your hang in your backyard. You can practice and you can take naps, but every hang is unique.

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    It’s kind of like being so familiar with your equipment that the only questions are what trees and dialing in the sag and end heights. It takes a fair amount of dedication to determine what knots (if any), how many tarp stakes, what tarp wall hang angle do I like, getting the UQ adjusted which is mostly done once you do, so many things you need to figure out particularly if you are a perfectionist liek myself.

It’s like the difference of doing wood working in your own shop where you know where everything is versus working in a shop you’ve never been in and not being able to find a hammer or the other tools you need.

Hammock
    Hammock Tent/SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tarptent/Thunderfl
    Insulation
    EE
    Suspension
    Kevlar/B. Hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    See post #6
    Missed it.
    Apologize to all for my snarkiness, but still this hobby takes rigamarole to a whole nother level at times. It takes dedication to figure out what works and what doesn't for the individual. A little bit of preparedness beforehand goes a long ways in the field is all.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Missed it.
    Apologize to all for my snarkiness, but still this hobby takes rigamarole to a whole nother level at times. It takes dedication to figure out what works and what doesn't for the individual. A little bit of preparedness beforehand goes a long ways in the field is all.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    Indeed. It took me a while to figure out that the vast majority of the rigamarole isn't needed.

But I still don't head out on a big trip without fully understanding some critical piece of gear or skill. Dealing with Mama Nature's nasty side with minimal kit while maintaining safety, comfort and good cheer really is an art.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234