Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Clisbyclark View Post
    The more I do this, the more convinced I am that simpler is almost always better. I think I've settled on straps with Evo Loops to attach to the tree and a Beckett Hitch to attach to the continuous loops on the hammock. No hardware to fail or fuss with and nothing that is too delicate to do with cold fingers.
    Well, "simple" is a matter of definition. Becket straps and Evo Loops are simple because there are less elements - and if you're using Dyneema straps, it's hard to go lighter. I wanted to like it for those reasons, but for me it was really difficult to adjust the length exactly. I find it vastly easier to adjust a cinch buckle. Hence the Beetle Buckle suspension is way less fussy than the Becket suspension for me - especially with cold fingers. I guess you have to try different suspensions to find out which works best for you.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Count FurFur View Post
    I've been out of the game since late of 2017. My camping buddy and I had a major fall out and didn't speak untill a couple months ago. Good News: We rekindled our old friendship and decided to go camping. We went to Raven Cliff falls. Turned out to be a Shlt show. Way too many day hikers and weekend warrior campers. It was like a trailer park. That being said, we tried to make the best of it and have a good time...

A week prior, I ordered a different suspension system for my Dream Sparrow hammock. Watched a lot of videos and seeked the advice of Thomas Ressler. He recommended the bettle buckle with 8ft straps to match with my 11ft hammock loaded with whoopie slings. His recommendation was to keep the bettle system close to the tree and adjust the whoopie sling. Well... It was hands down the absolute worse system I've ever used. I never could could get good hang. I felt like I had to climb the tree to attach the straps to get a 30° hang. It was all bad, I literally tried to hike back to my car at 3 in the morning to my car so I could get warm and sleep. Fyi, I never do stupid **** like that. I have extensive military vfield training. It was a very stupid move. 2 hours later, zero flashlight... I found myself back to the camp site.

My hammock gear 20° degree underquilt under performed... and ugq top quilt felt like I was sleeping on ice, inch worms sounded like elephants on my top quilt covering my face. Disappointing is an understatement. I have never had this bad of camp.

I just want a simplified set-up... No drama. Too much to ask? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    After reading your report.....perhaps back to a tent.
    Simple.

Suspension...failed
    UQ....fail
    TQ......fail
    I hope at least the DH Sparrow was comfortable.

If you stick to hammocks then put a continuous loop on the hammock and her a strap/cinch buckle system. Easy.
    Or use a tree strap/Marlinspike/toggle to whoopie.

Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    After reading your report.....perhaps back to a tent.
    Simple.

Suspension...failed
    UQ....fail
    TQ......fail
    I hope at least the DH Sparrow was comfortable.

If you stick to hammocks then put a continuous loop on the hammock and her a strap/cinch buckle system. Easy.
    Or use a tree strap/Marlinspike/toggle to whoopie.

Shug

I used to use the marlin spike with my old Hennessy explorer. I watched that same video years ago to know how to do it. I've slept many good nights in hammocks. Never wanna go back to tent. I will definitely go with continuous loops and ditch the whoopie slings. Will probably go with the longer strap for the beetle. Right now I have the 8ft strap.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I second the becket hitch recommendation. All you need are 12'-15' straps and CLs on your hammock. Easy peasy.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Yes, MSH is adjustable, but only by releasing it and re-tying the knot. Beetle is micro-adjustable in situ.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    I think cinch buckles or even a carabiner and loop strap are strongly suggested to anyone experiencing any sort of difficulty in setup. These are basically nearly impossible to get wrong and (especially the carabiner) about as realiable as you can get. If it’s on, you are basically done.

I love the becket hitch, but when I tried show it to another camper, I could sense his apprehension.

In the beginning, simple means, it just works. Later on, simple means I want it lighter or less parts or multi-use, or whatever.

For what it’s worth, Whoopies have never made sense to me. They are optimized for changing length which I do once in the first minute of setup. Now that I’ve done it 100 times, I get the height right on the first shot with a becket.

Good luck. The good news is that you are experimenting and finding out what does not work for you. Thats is NOT failure, it’s learning.

Hammock
    To many
    Tarp
    To many
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 + oth
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Images
    Personally (HYOH) I put continuous loops & use buckles & straps (from Dutch) on every one of my hammocks (20 or so, outfit the whole fam damley). Their quick, easy & fairly light. (I don't hike). Never had a bad hang. Some better than others but, never a bad one.

Hammock
    WBB XLC
    Tarp
    winterdream 11ft
    Insulation
    HG stuff
    Suspension
    becket straps
    looks like all our advice and helpful banter has gone unnoticed oh and evo loops and becket hitch for me as well, mind you, the first couple you tie you think you might end up on the floor any minute lol

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Count FurFur, When I started reading your post I wondered, “Why use TWO adjustable suspensions?” If I were you, I’d skip the Whoopie slings and just connect the buckles to the continuous loops (CL) on the hammock. Also, as your hammock is 11 ft long, the usual 83%-86% sag puts the ends about 9 ft apart - not a rule; just a suggested starting place. Given that, I’m guessing your tarp length will dictate the required tree distance. A usual tarp length is 11 ft. So I’d look for trees in the 13 - 15 ft range.

You can probably estimate that by first measuring the distance of your hiking poles held with your arms stretched out. After you’ve located trees with the approximate distance about 5 or 6 times, you develop an eye for that distance. As you’ve discovered the further apart the trees, the higher your suspension has to be. Once you find the most comfortable sag for your hammock, you can cut a cord/string that distance (plus extra for knots) to tie to the ends of the hammock. I’m not suggesting it has to be “structural” (like made of Amsteel that will hold hundreds of pounds) - you can just use it as a ruler of sorts- to hang your hammock so that line just starts to get snug.

You didn’t say anything about how you adjusted your underquilt or if you had an underquilt protector (UQP) or tarp with doors. It’s winter in many states now and winter adjustments are in full bloom. That usually means a tarp with doors (closed) and/or setting up the tarp close to the ground to minimize convection heat loss.

You mentioned working with the suspension system for the hammock but not the suspension of the underquilt below the hammock. If that isn’t right, you will feel icy cold.

When possible, it’s best to practice outside at home. If things don’t go well, you can always retreat back indoors and contemplate adjustments the next day.

Winter is an unforgiving time to learn the basics.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 11-24-2020 at 13:48.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Simpler is better. I've switched to an all in one suspension that runs off of straps with Ti-cinch buckles for the tarp. Amsteel with dutchhooks dropped from the same suspension provide a nearly flawless hangle between any trees at any height. Hammock is always centered perfectly under tarp.

*This is part of my UL Bonefire/Sheltowee hammock kit, that I'll review in a week or so when i figure out how to embed photos. It's changed the way I hike and makes it easy to shave pounds and ounces you need to really enjoy time on the trail while maintaining full comfort in camp.
    Signature suspended

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast