Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Sell the 40 UQ and buy a 20. That (20f Phoenix) does it for me with a 40f Revelation from EE. I would think, but do not know, that the Burrow should be almost as warm as the Revelation. Worst case, your puffy jacket should get you there if you feel chilled.

I swear that Rev is magic. It's on spec for weight but I've carried it to 27 before. Just base layers, and I'm not a warm sleeper. Magic, I tell ya.

Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    1) I've become a fan of Mountain Laurel Designs and their EVA pads and use the 1/8 inch version to boost my gear. They also offer a 1/4 inch version. Both are relatively inexpensive:
    https://mountainlaureldesigns.com/pr...-1-8-foam-pad/
    https://mountainlaureldesigns.com/product/1-4-foam-pad/

2) An underquilt protector helps your underquilt hold in heat in windy conditions for minimal weight. Make your own or buy from several vendors like 2QZQ and Hammockgear.

3) If you have a cheap fleece throw and a sewing machine (or someone who can sew it for you) it's a few minutes' job to sew a footbox and make an inner liner for your top quilt. Weight for the fleece throws, however, may not be as light as something like a down throw.

4) A poncho liner also makes a versatile, though somewhat heavy, piece of gear. It can be wrapped around your entire set-up pod style, or used to boost either the underquilt or top quilt. Pros: the price. Cons: weight and bulk

5) Hot hands or other chemical warmers. These are a staple of my cold trips.

6) Down or synthetic booties. Warm feet make a heck of a difference for me and I love, love, love my DIY insulated booties. Several vendors offer down versions which can be pricey. You can find synthetic ones for less or make your own, which is the cheapest option.
    How much lower does a 1/8 or 1/4 CCF pad let you go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammichael View Post

Depends on the R-Value of the pad.
    Combined with the UQ.....

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Depends on the R-Value of the pad.
    Combined with the UQ.....

I swear; you’ve forgotten more about hammocking than I’ll ever learn. Thanks!

I'll speak to the 1/8 inch pad since that's the one I have and use. The R-value is only 0.4, I believe, so I'd hesitate to guess as to an exact temperature but I find it sometimes makes the difference in "Dang it, I feel a cold spot on my back" and "Ahh, I feel warm everywhere." If I had to take a SWAG at it, I'd say it'll help get maybe five degrees F or so lower.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter1 View Post
    Sell the 40 UQ and buy a 20. That (20f Phoenix) does it for me with a 40f Revelation from EE. I would think, but do not know, that the Burrow should be almost as warm as the Revelation. Worst case, your puffy jacket should get you there if you feel chilled.

I swear that Rev is magic. It's on spec for weight but I've carried it to 27 before. Just base layers, and I'm not a warm sleeper. Magic, I tell ya.
    I also agree that EE is doing better these past couple of years. Previously they were reputed—deservedly so in my personal experience—to be more than a tad generous on their temp ratings. More like 'survival' than 'comfort'. But the 30deg Enigma I got a little over a year ago is really warm at 30deg and and somewhat beyond.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    HG Hex w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    1.5 Spider/Becket
    Regarding Hammock Gear under quilt protectors, it seems like the 20d version must be worth the extra weight over the 10d, right? If the fabric is thicker, it stands to reason it must be better at blocking wind. This seems like a worthy investment considering the cost.

Are there socks that would cover both the top and bottom of the hammock or could a poncho be used like that? I know many winter setups include an overcover, but that's not an easy option on the Darien.

I have an 1/8 Gossamer Thinlight pad, but it's not terribly comfortable to sleep on directly in a hammock with an overquilt. Would it be effective between the hammock and the underquilt?

What about space blankets? I used one back when I used a Hennessy Supershelter, but I feel like I read elsewhere on this forum that it causes condensation issues in other contexts.

Thanks for all of the insights thus far!
    Last edited by unwordedly; 11-23-2020 at 12:26.

Quote Originally Posted by unwordedly View Post
    Regarding Hammock Gear under quilt protectors, it seems like the 20d version must be worth the extra weight over the 10d, right? If the fabric is thicker, it stands to reason it must be better at blocking wind. This seems like a worthy investment considering the cost.
    Are there socks that would cover both the top and bottom of the hammock or could a poncho be used like that? I know many winter setups include an overcover, but that's not an easy option on the Darien.I have an 1/8 Gossamer Thinlight pad, but it's not terribly comfortable to sleep on directly in a hammock with an overquilt. Would it be effective between the hammock and the underquilt?

What about space blankets? I used one back when I used a Hennessy Supershelter, but I feel like I read elsewhere on this forum that it causes condensation issues in other contexts.

Thanks for all of the insights thus far!
    Winter sock FTW: https://dutchwaregear.com/product/vented-winter-sock/

Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    I'll speak to the 1/8 inch pad since that's the one I have and use. The R-value is only 0.4, I believe, so I'd hesitate to guess as to an exact temperature but I find it sometimes makes the difference in "Dang it, I feel a cold spot on my back" and "Ahh, I feel warm everywhere." If I had to take a SWAG at it, I'd say it'll help get maybe five degrees F or so lower.
    Wow - sounds worth giving a try on my next outing. Thanks for sharing your experience!

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    HG Hex w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    1.5 Spider/Becket
    This looks promising! Any issue getting in and out without the zipper or is it worth the extra couple ounces?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast