WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ
    Suspension
    HG UL Daisy Chain

Wilderness Logic Fraternity

Hey all, I’d like to reach out to anyone using the WL Lite Owl Hammock. I’ve had mine for a couple of years, purchased shortly before Marty passed away. I admit that I’ve never quite dialed in this hammock, and am looking for any help, tips, advice, etc. to make it hum.... I can’t seem to avoid the dreaded Calf ridge issue. I’m sure I’m not properly using the head & foot box cords, although I’ve tried all the configurations I can. 6’1, 160 lbs, in an 11’ hammock should not be as hard as I’m making it. I can’t help feel I’m missing something easy that will make a big difference. While I’m not opposed to side sleeping, I’m okay on my back, and really just want to find the elusive sweet spot.

What better place to seek help than HF. Thanks to all who reply.
    " Can't not try". :thumbup

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, Astd. Dutch
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex, TF
    Insulation
    HG,WLSS,JrB,UGQ,LL
    Suspension
    LW straps/Becket
    Sorry, I'm not familiar with that hammock although I do have plenty of Marty's gear. However, when I get calf ridge I often find that haven't elevated my feet enough and slid down towards the foot end. Is there any way that may be the issue? Good luck!

I have one. U find it to be very comfortable. I don’t think the head or foot box affect calf ridge. I totally agree with this comment:

Quote Originally Posted by Clisbyclark View Post
    However, when I get calf ridge I often find that haven't elevated my feet enough and slid down towards the foot end.
    At some point I noticed where I was when I had a problem with the calf ridge and My feet were only a foot or two from the end, due to moving during the night because the foot end was too high.

The other thing you could try is playing with the ridgeline length. I have found that in general I am more comfortable with a slightly shorter ridgeline, shortened by wrapping it around a carabiner a few turns.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I can't speak to that hammock but calf ridge happens in a lot of hammocks.
    Maybe the video will give some thoughts to fix.....
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    Yep, the dreaded calf ridge was probably the main reason some of us go to all of the trouble of using bridge or 90º hammocks. Along with knee extension or side torque problems, but calf ridge is #1. It can certainly be a tricky devil. What I have found is that while some gathered hammocks seem more prone to it than others, I can get it in any of them. I can not have it, then get up in the middle of the night, lay back down and now I do have it. That can be very frustrating and irritating.

I have long ago abandoned all the tricks of the trade for curing this problem, except for one. At the first sign of it, I simply add a knee pillow, the bigger the better. That pretty much ends that problem for me, and leaves me able to choose my hammock on something besides how seldom it has calf ridge. Plus, IMO, it actually increases over all and lower back comfort in ALL hammocks, of any type. Of course, that brings it's own potential problems, in the form of potentially interfering with my TQ fit and maybe causing drafts. (not a problem with sleeping bags unless using as a quilt) I can usually solve this new problem by only using a pillow barely wide and thick enough to accomplish the task. For example, if not too wide, say just wide enough to support both knees and a tad to spare, my TQ is usually able to tuck under the knee pillow. If way wide, that is not happening. This might also be where a wider TQ will work better.

But despite those potential problems, it is still easier to overcome a poor TQ fit than it is for me to deal with the seemingly infinite variables of hammock hang and my positioning that control whether I have bad calf pressure, just a little, or none. For example, the night before last, after several short tests during the day in my HH with HHSS insulation, with NO calf ridge, I went out at night and hopped in, got in my TQ and settled in, and BAM there it was. Just enough calf ridge to keep me awake. I didn't have my knee pillow handy so after an hour or so, though I was toasty warm ( mid 40s) and otherwise totally comfy, I just went inside and went to bed.

I think I have that WL hammock, an 11 footer double layer, but not certain of the model. It is a beautiful hammock, sometimes i have calf ridge, sometimes I don't. When I have it, I usually have no idea what is different this time.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 11-21-2020 at 11:40.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, Astd. Dutch
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex, TF
    Insulation
    HG,WLSS,JrB,UGQ,LL
    Suspension
    LW straps/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Yep, the dreaded calf ridge was probably the main reason some of us go to all of the trouble of using bridge or 90º hammocks. Along with knee extension or side torque problems, but calf ridge is #1. It can certainly be a tricky devil. What I have found is that while some gathered hammocks seem more prone to it than others, I can get it in any of them. I can not have it, then get up in the middle of the night, lay back down and now I do have it. That can be very frustrating and irritating.

I have long ago abandoned all the tricks of the trade for curing this problem, except for one. At the first sign of it, I simply add a knee pillow, the bigger the better. That pretty much ends that problem for me, and leaves me able to choose my hammock on something besides how seldom it has calf ridge. Plus, IMO, it actually increases over all and lower back comfort in ALL hammocks, of any type. Of course, that brings it's own potential problems, in the form of potentially interfering with my TQ fit and maybe causing drafts. (not a problem with sleeping bags unless using as a quilt) I can usually solve this new problem by only using a pillow barely wide and thick enough to accomplish the task. For example, if not too wide, say just wide enough to support both knees and a tad to spare, my TQ is usually able to tuck under the knee pillow. If way wide, that is not happening. This might also be where a wider TQ will work better.

But despite those potential problems, it is still easier to overcome a poor TQ fit than it is for me to deal with the seemingly infinite variables of hammock hang and my positioning that control whether I have bad calf pressure, just a little, or none. For example, the night before last, after several short tests during the day in my HH with HHSS insulation, with NO calf ridge, I went out at night and hopped in, got in my TQ and settled in, and BAM there it was. Just enough calf ridge to keep me awake. I didn't have my knee pillow handy so after an hour or so, though I was toasty warm ( mid 40s) and otherwise totally comfy, I just went inside and went to bed.

I think I have that WL hammock, an 11 footer double layer, but not certain of the model. It is a beautiful hammock, sometimes i have calf ridge, sometimes I don't. When I have it, I usually have no idea what is different this time.
    Great idea concerning the pillow. I like to just wad up my synthetic jacket and throw it under my knees which works splendidly until it gets cold enough that I have to put it on!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Clisbyclark View Post
    Great idea concerning the pillow. I like to just wad up my synthetic jacket and throw it under my knees which works splendidly until it gets cold enough that I have to put it on!
    Yep, that will work! Depending on whether I am trying to push my quilts beyond their ratings using various layering tricks, I often- if my quilts are rather rated warmer than I need for the temps- have clothes for hiking and sitting around camp that I am not going to need for sleeping. Rather than letting them sit uselessly in a large stuff sack, that sack goes under my knees. Or, the other trick is: I take one of my liner sacks or a small trash bag, seal the ends so that air is trapped inside, tying the opening off, and place that in a larger stuff sack, and place under my knees. Works wonders! Some folks use compression sacks used for traveling. It really does solve or greatly improve a lot of problems.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Asym hammock eleminated if for me. I lost my left side roll, but still can manage the right side, when I want. Small sacrifice to kill the calf ridge forever. You do have to elevate the foot end 10-12 inches higher but still get a nice flat lay out of it.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Wilderness Logic Fraternity

Marty made a Nite Owl double layer for me.
    It was 11x5 maybe an inch or two less than 5 feet wide—maybe 58 inches wide.
    Marty also made a custom lite owl for me.
    Single layer and 12x6
    The 12x6 was a big jump in comfort for me.

A 12x6 is not for everybody. Although very comfortable with little or no calf ridge pressure CRP, easily smoothed out while laying on back, drawing both heels to butt and sliding them against hammock fabric as you straighten both legs to your diagonal lay.
    Shug illustrates this and many other techniques in his video about calf ridge pressure CRP.

A 12x6 hammock has its own wish list:
    Larger pack
    Larger tarp
    Higher pack weight
    And trees that will be hypnotized to the desired longer spacing.
    It ain’t for everybody, but it is for me and my comfort!

Marty and his wife Mrs Gallimore, made wonderful gear, that is incredibly durable and with very neat stitching.
    Thank Wooooo!
    Last edited by Phantom Grappler; 11-24-2020 at 22:38.

I have the Lite Owl and it's my "go to" Winter hammock. I like the double layer as I can slip tomorrow's clothes in between the two layers and they are warm the next morning. I would recommend two things: install a ridge line so that you get a consistent hang and hang the foot end higher. I notice the calf ridge if lying too close to the foot end (phenomena with all gathered ends if you get to close to the end). I generally hang the foot end about a foot higher than the head end (just eye ballin' it). I sleep great. I'm about 5'9 though so I have plenty of room in the hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast