Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I might have missed it - but I didn’t see any mention of your height. If you are in the 5’6” range, you may be happy with a ¾ length UQ - saving money on cost as well as weight and bulk. Also, the 20 degree UQ is very versatile. For me, down has a wide comfort range. The UQ is not like a down jacket you’d be wearing. It inhibits heat loss from air currents under the hammock. And you’ll mostly be using it at night, not in the afternoon sun.

Check for a differential cut construction (like Hammock Gear uses). That allows you to snug the tarp right up to the bottom of the hammock without compressing the loft.

Also, if you are going out alone - though you could setup that UQ suspension with a friend, at home, before you leave - an under quilt protector (UQP) allows you to be a little off in your UQ set up. There are other advantages as well - and also people go their whole life and never use an UQP and are perfectly happy. My point is, it can be difficult to be in your hammock and out of it checking the UQ fit, at the same time. Maybe you could toss your pack in the hammock as a “body” and check the UQ fit that way.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Hex
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ- HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    You're welcome! I've used my 20° UQ when the lows were only in the mid-70s. I've learned that the top quilt will be biggest factor on whether or not you'll be too warm.
    I’ve heard that too that you can always vent you UQ but the top quilt makes the difference in temp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Hex
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ- HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxhiker View Post
    My top quilt and under quilt both came from JacksRBetter. I've been very happy with them. Customer service is excellent. They will help you if you're not sure which product you need. I think they usually have items in stock so you don't have to wait long. They sometimes run a sale.
    Awesome thank you. I will definitely be looking into them here.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Hex
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ- HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    I might have missed it - but I didn’t see any mention of your height. If you are in the 5’6” range, you may be happy with a ¾ length UQ - saving money on cost as well as weight and bulk. Also, the 20 degree UQ is very versatile. For me, down has a wide comfort range. The UQ is not like a down jacket you’d be wearing. It inhibits heat loss from air currents under the hammock. And you’ll mostly be using it at night, not in the afternoon sun.

Check for a differential cut construction (like Hammock Gear uses). That allows you to snug the tarp right up to the bottom of the hammock without compressing the loft.

Also, if you are going out alone - though you could setup that UQ suspension with a friend, at home, before you leave - an under quilt protector (UQP) allows you to be a little off in your UQ set up. There are other advantages as well - and also people go their whole life and never use an UQP and are perfectly happy. My point is, it can be difficult to be in your hammock and out of it checking the UQ fit, at the same time. Maybe you could toss your pack in the hammock as a “body” and check the UQ fit that way.
    Well I’m 6’1” so I’ll be buying a full length and I’ve definitely been looking at HG. It seems like a good product and design. And I’ll be with my girlfriend so I figured we can help each other setup so we can figure out if there’s a gap or what might need to be adjusted.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    If you gonna do it, do it quick. HG got a 10% off sale for quilts. I finally broke down and got a full length 20F Incubator to replace (maybe) my 20F Phoenix. It took exactly one night for my legs (forgot my sit pad) to get cold to convince me.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incu+SLD TW+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Personally I have a 40F HG incubator on order with Santa. I have a WBBB XLC and an SLD Trail Winder 20F.

YMMV as always but I'm a cold sleeper and for trying to sleep outside this winter (when it's not too cold) I will stack the two. The Trail Winder is basically a UQP with added insulation so that will go outside the Incubator and I'd take the incubator with me for summer car camping.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Hex
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ- HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    If you gonna do it, do it quick. HG got a 10% off sale for quilts. I finally broke down and got a full length 20F Incubator to replace (maybe) my 20F Phoenix. It took exactly one night for my legs (forgot my sit pad) to get cold to convince me.
    Yeah I saw that they were on sale. I’m going to order one next week here I’m thinking.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    EE/HG/UGQ quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/straps
    Images
    The Hammock Gear Incubator 20 would be my choice with a Chameleon.

mg,

I agree with unshaven. Hammock Gear Econ Incubator, 20 degree. Wont disappoint.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Mgl01 View Post
    Well I’m 6’1” so I’ll be buying a full length and I’ve definitely been looking at HG.

I’m 6’3”, I use JRB grey lock 3 and 4 “3/4” length UQ’s. I’ve had an incubator for awhile but it just seemed to be too big.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast