DIY netless chameleon clone
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logic
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

DIY Chameleon Peak Loft

I am actually making my own peak shelf with the dimensions on Dutch’s site and with materials that I purchased from his site, but none of the images and videos that I’ve watched (and there were so many) allowed me to determine how the adjustments are made at the hammock at the corners. There were just no clear images that I could find. The way I see it there is only one adjusting cord on each side, but it appears that shock-cord runs around the entire perimeter. Are there 4 separate runs of shock cord, one from each point to point? Does the adjustment only effect the portion of the shelf from the hammock D-rings to the ridge line, leaving the portion from the peak to the hammock D-rings un-adjustable? I hope I am conveying my question well enough. Maybe if someone could offer a clear image of what is going on at those corners I could more clearly understand it and re-create it. Thanks in advance.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Hex
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ- HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    Quote Originally Posted by gdiddy15 View Post
    I am actually making my own peak shelf with the dimensions on Dutch’s site and with materials that I purchased from his site, but none of the images and videos that I’ve watched (and there were so many) allowed me to determine how the adjustments are made at the hammock at the corners. There were just no clear images that I could find. The way I see it there is only one adjusting cord on each side, but it appears that shock-cord runs around the entire perimeter. Are there 4 separate runs of shock cord, one from each point to point? Does the adjustment only effect the portion of the shelf from the hammock D-rings to the ridge line, leaving the portion from the peak to the hammock D-rings un-adjustable? I hope I am conveying my question well enough. Maybe if someone could offer a clear image of what is going on at those corners I could more clearly understand it and re-create it. Thanks in advance.
    I dont have a picture of mine at the moment but the part at the peak is not adjustable it just connects to the continuous loop using a mitten hook then the two sides of the peak loft connect to the d-rings on the sides of the hammock and then it uses a squeeze hook to connect to the ridgeline which is how you side it back and forth to and from the peak to adjust it.
    https://dutchwaregear.com/product/squeeze-hook/

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Hex
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ- HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    and the cord is also only adjustable on the side between the d-ring and the squeeze hook

Hammock
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logic
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Mgl01 View Post
    I dont have a picture of mine at the moment but the part at the peak is not adjustable it just connects to the continuous loop using a mitten hook then the two sides of the peak loft connect to the d-rings on the sides of the hammock and then it uses a squeeze hook to connect to the ridgeline which is how you side it back and forth to and from the peak to adjust it.
    https://dutchwaregear.com/product/squeeze-hook/
    Thanks for the quick response. I have the ridge line and the attachment point on the hammock suspension figured out from the videos, but the attachment points onto the hammock D-rings is where I was puzzled. Your info about the adjustability only being between the d-ring and the ridge line is very key. Thank you. Does that mean there are four separate runs of shock cord (one each from point to point of the perimeter?)? Thanks again.
    Last edited by gdiddy15; 11-19-2020 at 17:42.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Hex
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ- HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    Thanks for the quick response. I have the ridge line and the attachment point on the hammock suspension figured out from the videos, but the attachment points onto the hammock D-rings is where I was puzzled. Your info about the adjustability only being between the d-ring and the ridge line is very key. Thank you. Does that mean there are four separate runs of shock cord (one each from point to point of the perimeter?)? Thanks again.
    If I remember correctly there are only 2 shock cords. One on each side only between the d rings and the ridge line. I honestly have never even adjusted them. I just throw stuff up there and then slide the little squeeze hook towards the peak to just keep it all up there nice. I don’t even see a need to be able to adjust the shock cords. But if you wanted you could easily use 4 pieces it would still work the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logic
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Mgl01 View Post
    If I remember correctly there are only 2 shock cords. One on each side only between the d rings and the ridge line. I honestly have never even adjusted them. I just throw stuff up there and then slide the little squeeze hook towards the peak to just keep it all up there nice. I don’t even see a need to be able to adjust the shock cords. But if you wanted you could easily use 4 pieces it would still work the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks again for the response. That helps me out tremendously.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Hex
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ- HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    Thanks again for the response. That helps me out tremendously.
    You're welcome! Let me know if you need anything else

Question: how far down from the end of the hammocks are the loops to attach the peak shelf. I bought one from Dutch to add to my warbonnet but couldn't quite find a good mount point. The locations I tried were way too low and would rest on my head at night. Even with the 2nd ridge line point pushed all the way up

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenaxia View Post
    Question: how far down from the end of the hammocks are the loops to attach the peak shelf. I bought one from Dutch to add to my warbonnet but couldn't quite find a good mount point. The locations I tried were way too low and would rest on my head at night. Even with the 2nd ridge line point pushed all the way up
    I don't have a peak shelf on my hammock, but most people I have seen that do have it located at the foot end.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logic
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenaxia View Post
    I searched for this myself when I was making my chameleon clone, and Dutch himself replied to this question in different post. The answer is 23” from the very end of the hammock. You can put it at head or foot or one for each. I hope this helps.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast