Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Hex
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ- HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles

Tarp width....

I'm about to order my first tarp and I wanted to get some peoples opinion on tarp sizes. I'm pretty sure I'm getting an 11' ridgeline tarp but is it worth it to by a wider tarp or is the 9.5' width plenty?

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Hex
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ- HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    Also Is it worth it to add tarp pull outs?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If you want good coverage and some privacy then 9.5 is good.
    Warbonnet Superfly is about that. And yes, for a wide tarp like that I think pullouts are a must.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    IMO, if this is your first go at hammock camping...get the bigger coverage tarp and work your way smaller. As you get more experience you'll be able to better judge the pros and cons of a smaller tarp in the conditions you've gone through. My first tarp was one of those 12x10 tarps you find at Walmart. Worked fine for years. When I got into backpacking, I wanted something smaller and packable. In my case I wanted two tarps: the smallest with decent wind and rain protection, and a winter tarp with full doors.

My first 'real' tarp was the Warbonnet Thunderfly and eventually got the Superfly (both in silpoly). Never got wet under either of them. If the storm is gonna be bad, I have to be more judicious with setting up the the hammock and the Thunderfly (pitch it low, almost down to the hammock ridgeline). The end beaks do a good job of blocking wind driven rain, but if it's gonna be really blustery I have to be aware of the wind direction (not have the ends facing directly into the storm).

I have the tarp pullouts on both. I use them rarely, but they are handy. I use my trekking poles to lift up on them as opposed to guylines pulling them out. Same effect, less cordage and no extra stakes required. On the Thunderfly, it doesn't matter as much, but the Superfly...that's a lot of tarp blowing in on you.

Shug's 3rd video there was the cincher for me on getting the Thunderfly over the Minifly.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Hex
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ- HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    If you want good coverage and some privacy then 9.5 is good.
    Warbonnet Superfly is about that. And yes, for a wide tarp like that I think pullouts are a must.
    Shug

Thank you ill check out these videos

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Hex
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ- HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    IMO, if this is your first go at hammock camping...get the bigger coverage tarp and work your way smaller. As you get more experience you'll be able to better judge the pros and cons of a smaller tarp in the conditions you've gone through. My first tarp was one of those 12x10 tarps you find at Walmart. Worked fine for years. When I got into backpacking, I wanted something smaller and packable. In my case I wanted two tarps: the smallest with decent wind and rain protection, and a winter tarp with full doors.

My first 'real' tarp was the Warbonnet Thunderfly and eventually got the Superfly (both in silpoly). Never got wet under either of them. If the storm is gonna be bad, I have to be more judicious with setting up the the hammock and the Thunderfly (pitch it low, almost down to the hammock ridgeline). The end beaks do a good job of blocking wind driven rain, but if it's gonna be really blustery I have to be aware of the wind direction (not have the ends facing directly into the storm).

I have the tarp pullouts on both. I use them rarely, but they are handy. I use my trekking poles to lift up on them as opposed to guylines pulling them out. Same effect, less cordage and no extra stakes required. On the Thunderfly, it doesn't matter as much, but the Superfly...that's a lot of tarp blowing in on you.

Shug's 3rd video there was the cincher for me on getting the Thunderfly over the Minifly.
    I'm really so up in the air with what I want for a first one. Each on has pros and cons. I just need to come to terms with the fact I'm going to probably end up with more than one tarp eventually.

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    You will end up with at least a few eventually I would imagine.

I have a basic diamond tarp which I really like for summer when I know I am unlikely to encounter a storm and even then the temps are high enough that I could handle getting wet without serious consequences. In this case, I play the odds and am willing to pay the price if I am wrong and we get a severe high wind deluge.

I’ve got to say that I really enjoy having doors. There is no downside to them that I can find unless you are a gram counter. If I don’t need them, I just fold them back. If I need them, however, there really is no substitute. I don’t want to be selecting a new site or trees AFTER I have discovered that the wind has shifted on me.

Not sure what you have looked at, but the Superfly, Journey, and SLD’s tarps are all super impressive and while they also run a bit over a pound with lines that is completely worth it to me to have doors when I want them.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, Astd. Dutch
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex, TF
    Insulation
    HG,WLSS,JrB,UGQ,LL
    Suspension
    LW straps/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by Mgl01 View Post
    I'm really so up in the air with what I want for a first one. Each on has pros and cons. I just need to come to terms with the fact I'm going to probably end up with more than one tarp eventually.
    As long as you get a hammock or tarp from a good vendor (HammockGear, Warbonnet, UGQ, Dutch, et al) don't worry too much about making a mistake. You never know what works for you until you actually get out there and use it for a several nights. Even then, your preferences may change over time (as did mine). The reason I suggested a quality vendor is because first, you can be pretty sure your tarp won't leak (make sure you seam seal it if necessary!) and second, gear from those vendors is very easy to resell here and on other Buy/Sell/Trade boards at a fairly high percentage of retail pricing so don't think you're stuck with something because you find out it's not for you.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    EE/HG/UGQ quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/straps
    Images
    If you buy yourself a Superfly as your first you will always have enough tarp for any weather conditions. After you get done configuring and playing around with your Superfly you can always get a second and a third tarp.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Hex
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ- HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    Quote Originally Posted by Clisbyclark View Post
    As long as you get a hammock or tarp from a good vendor (HammockGear, Warbonnet, UGQ, Dutch, et al) don't worry too much about making a mistake. You never know what works for you until you actually get out there and use it for a several nights. Even then, your preferences may change over time (as did mine). The reason I suggested a quality vendor is because first, you can be pretty sure your tarp won't leak (make sure you seam seal it if necessary!) and second, gear from those vendors is very easy to resell here and on other Buy/Sell/Trade boards at a fairly high percentage of retail pricing so don't think you're stuck with something because you find out it's not for you.
    That is a Very good point. I already have two hammocks because the first one wasn't comfortable to me so I went down to dutchware and tried a few out and bought a new one that day.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast