Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Shackelford View Post
    May I ask why the bowline seems to be so popular for guy lines? The only real advantage it has in the climbing/sailing world is that it's easier to untie than the figure eight which has a higher breaking/slipping strength. Is it because it uses less cord and is slightly less bulky?
    As an (ex) climber there's a couple of reasons. I used to use the figure of eight to tie on - until my first leader fall. It took ages to untie the knot, from then on I used the Bowline for thirty years of climbing. Secondly there isn't that much difference in strength between the two knots, about 5% from memory! and in climbing at least, by the time that level of force was being applied you'd be snapped in two! The figure of eight is popular these days as climbing wall (gym) staff can easily check it.

In the tarp world it's the difficulty in untying after loading that's the main issue. My wife's a so and so for it - rather than take the time to learn an adjustable knot she'll do an fo8 on the bight so I'll have spend time at home untying them.
    Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry - Viking proverb

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Merry Christmas to You All

A good splice is my first choice. If I want a knot for fixed loop, alpine butterfly loop is my favorite.

It resists jamming and doesn’t easily get pulled into another configuration.

To untie simple knots that have been heavily loaded, place knot between two layers of thin cloth or paper to protect it. Then put knot on a hard flat smooth surface, like a flat rock or concrete. Gently hammer knot with a hammer or smooth pebble-stone. Hammer spherical knot until it becomes more pancake shaped. Ok to rotate knot in between taps. Maybe a dozen taps or less. Pancake shape will still be higher in middle than on edges.

Now knot should be easily untied with fingers.
    Also a fid can be used to loosen tight knots.
    At an IGKT convention they had fids for sale.
    They were hardwood fine grained and highly polished. I had never seen this type fid before. Should have purchased one. These wooden fids were not hollow. They fit in hand and are round with one end larger and other end tapered to be small enough to fit into knots for untie or adjustment.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    Does that mean 30 gauge?
    When we were out doing a supply run I stopped by a craft place and all their floral wire was in gauges and 26 gauge was the smallest they had. 30 gauge would be like a hair.
    Yep, 30 gauge. I got it at Michaels Arts n Crafts.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-W View Post
    As an (ex) climber there's a couple of reasons. I used to use the figure of eight to tie on - until my first leader fall. It took ages to untie the knot, from then on I used the Bowline for thirty years of climbing. Secondly there isn't that much difference in strength between the two knots, about 5% from memory! and in climbing at least, by the time that level of force was being applied you'd be snapped in two! The figure of eight is popular these days as climbing wall (gym) staff can easily check it.

In the tarp world it's the difficulty in untying after loading that's the main issue. My wife's a so and so for it - rather than take the time to learn an adjustable knot she'll do an fo8 on the bight so I'll have spend time at home untying them.
    For a tarp, would not a simple overhand on a bight suffice?
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Senior Member Rusty Shackelford's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet
    Insulation
    Wooki, DB
    Suspension
    UCR, Dynaweave
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    For a tarp, would not a simple overhand on a bight suffice?
    Yes and will be stronger than the bowline but it will be pretty much impossible to untie once put under a heavy load if that matters to you. The reason the bowline is so popular is because it's a reliable knot that's also simple to untie.

Hammock
    Wide Chameleon
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    Did you ever manage to make this work?
    I've been trying the same thing and having the same issues. Even tried pulling the wire w/ pliers and still couldn't get it to bury.
    I gave up and just used knots.

Best I can tell, the reflective strip appears to be snagging. I even tried removing the strip completely from the bury, but that just disturbed the fibers that it turned in to a huge cluster bury...

Hammock
    Wide Chameleon
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Yes and will be stronger than the bowline but it will be pretty much impossible to untie once put under a heavy load if that matters to you. The reason the bowline is so popular is because it's a reliable knot that's also simple to untie.
    Good to know on the overhand on a bight being more difficult to untie after being loaded. I was not aware of that.

Maybe I am missing something, but if I just need a loop for a guy line on a tarp to larks head on to a D ring, why would I need to be able to untie the loop for that application?

Perhaps I am overthinking this? I do that from time to time🤪

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    True, but going back to OP it is intended as a loop to larkshead onto something else — I assume a D-ring or some such — which typically isn't going to be untied, as wouldn't a spliced eye of course.

That said, I sometimes use a slipped bowline, which is even easier to untie, if that's a priority.

To me it seems that learning to tie a bowline is a rite of passage and people feel the need to use it when there are other simpler knots that work in many instances. A bowline can be tied incorrectly... maybe with the rabbit jumping down the hole and not out as he's supposed to.

Quote Originally Posted by Pop_Eye View Post
    Good to know on the overhand on a bight being more difficult to untie after being loaded. I was not aware of that.

Maybe I am missing something, but if I just need a loop for a guy line on a tarp to larks head on to a D ring, why would I need to be able to untie the loop for that application?

Perhaps I am overthinking this? I do that from time to time🤪
    Let's say you are out for two nights and the second night all your "temporary" knots are in the wrong place and you can't untie them with your cold/wet fingers. What then? Tie more "temporary" knots?

If you need to fix a line to a peg/stake then a Marlinspike is just as reliable and easily untied or if you want adjustability then something like the Farrimond Hitch.

Oh, my wife also uses overhands on the bight - grrrrr!
    Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry - Viking proverb

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234